Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Default Hunting Brown Bear in Russia

Hey Guys,

Anyone ever looked into hunting brown bear over there? Is it more economical than the $10-15k your likely to pay in Alaska?

Thank in advance!
Old 07-26-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan856 View Post
Hey Guys,

Anyone ever looked into hunting brown bear over there? Is it more economical than the $10-15k your likely to pay in Alaska?

Thank in advance!
Unless you're paying 18K plus in Alaska you're really taking a big chance on not getting a bear.

The big names in Russia do really well. Still going to cost you close to 15-18K by the time you travel.

I've hunted Alaska, boat based peninsula hunt is the only way to go in my opinion. The interior hunt I went on was a joke. Afnak island can be great too if you draw the tag. Goods odds to draw and a great area.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Im surprised you can get in for 18k.
Never looked into russia or mainland alaska but made some inquiries about kodiak island a few years ago and you where looking at 50k minimum to even think about it.ouch
Old 07-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Get on cancellation lists and you can get some really good deals if you can go on short notice. I hunted the Alaska peninsula in 2013, $19,000 hunt I got for $11,500.
Hosted Hunts, Magnum hunt club are a couple of the cancellation services that were good.

Last edited by redneck; 07-26-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 PM

Go to Accurate Reloading and watch for deals there for Brown Bear. Russia you will normally pay a bit less but the size in bears can differ at times. You have a higher chance of getting a real big one in Alaska compared to Russia is what I have found out. I think Russia has higher bear numbers as well but could be wrong on that. Find a partner to go with and get a deal as well is another way of doing it.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
Get on cancellation lists and you can get some really good deals if you can go on short notice. I hunted the Alaska peninsula in 2013, $19,000 hunt I got for $11,500.
Hosted Hunts, Magnum hunt club are a couple of the cancellation services that were good.
Did you get treated the same as the other hunters and did you get your bear?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Why wouldn't he?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 PM

Just so you guys know how it works in Alaska there are very rarely any cancellation hunts. 95% of the time the outfitter is just trying to sell some extra hunts.
There are no quotas on any game animals in Alaska and the outfitters can kill as many animals as they want if they can get the hunters.
There are a few good outfitters up there, but there are more shy-sty con artist then you could shake a stick at.
When I hunted brown bear there years ago I had a guide who was in his 70's and had seen it all. They have the most ass backwards system you've ever heard of.
No territories (unless they are one of the rare few with a exclusive agreement with the natives), no limits on numbers of outfitters in a zone, no quotas

There are about five outfitters in all of Alaska that I'd ever consider hunting with, other then that you're asking for serious disappointment
Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I was treated fine, I knew what to expect before I got there which was a spike camp hunt. Freeze dried food, brutal weather and the same chance as anyone else at a giant brown bear. My guide was a 40 year old ex army ranger and was awesome . He guided two hunters on a 2 on 1 hunt to there bears the first week and guided me to mine on day 6 of my hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen_20140115_113135.jpg (34.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_20131105_152331.jpg (179.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 AM

Nice bear!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was treated fine, I knew what to expect before I got there which was a spike camp hunt. Freeze dried food, brutal weather and the same chance as anyone else at a giant brown bear. My guide was a 40 year old ex army ranger and was awesome . He guided two hunters on a 2 on 1 hunt to there bears the first week and guided me to mine on day 6 of my hunt.
Wow, massive! Congratulations on that monster redneck. How did he score?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Nice Bear. That's huge. wow.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Russia bear ..

It took me three trips to get my brown bear in Alaska .. 18 days to even see one .. One really annoying thing was getting the skin and skull back ... the stupid paper work cost me about $2,000 !!!

If I did it again, I would have had the bear rugged in Alaska and gone up there on a salmon fishing trip and brought it back ... processed, I am sure would have cheaper .. I think ...

Absolutely ridiculous, that charge of two grand .. I could have brought a dozen animals back from Africa for $2,000 ...
Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
Wow, massive! Congratulations on that monster redneck. How did he score?
Thanks, he scored 26 7/16 and squared 9'6
Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Had one of my bud's do a Russian brown bear hunt and he shot a monster bear, don't know how much he paid though. could give you a contact if you want.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, he scored 26 7/16 and squared 9'6
Congrats again on that Hog Boss Boar!