Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 AM

Default Ruger m77 mark II upgrade?

I recently got my first 300 win mag. It a ruger m77 mark II and I wanted to hear your idea for upgrades. I have a nice scope on it, it is a black synthetic paddle stock and stainless barrel. I was considering finding different inserts for the stock to shanks it up. What other mods appearance or performance do you suggest?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Banned

Maybe some led lights that blink.

I'd leave it the way God intended. Canoe paddle rugers are the shiznitz IMHO, as the kids like to say these days.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM

I like them with the wood inserts:

Old 09-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Default Pachmayr decelerator pad

My best recommendation (Based on previous experience) before modifying any firearm is ask yourself what problem you are trying to solve. I understand some rifles out of the box just don’t have all the features we want and sometimes an upgrade here or there can get you over the finish line as far as shooting satisfaction goes.
I have the same rifle in 270. The only two things I did to mine was get a trigger job done. This moved the trigger weight from whatever the default weight was to 3 lbs. It made a difference in my 100 yard groupings and felt a lot nicer.
I also got a Pachmayr decelerator pad. Not the slip on kind the one you grind down to fit your stock. They didn’t have an out of the box one at the time I did it. Not sure if they or Limb Saver do now.
These helped when taking some long range shooting courses. We would shoot about 100 rounds in a weekend. It also helped out when introducing younger members of my family to their first time shooting a center fire rifle.
I also recommend reading a lot prior to any upgrade or modification. Others can teach us from mistakes and successes.
All the best with your new rifle.