Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2015, 04:20 PM

Default Best way to remove primer without reloading equipment

I am trying to make a couple sets of ear rings for my wife using the base of 4 rifle cases, saw some online but they don't ship to Canada, so I figure I will make my own. I have a few nickel plated 30-06 cases that will be perfect.

I want to make 2 sets, one set with the primers in and a set with the primers replaced with a crystal/glass bead of some sort.

would a regular pin punch work well enough to pop them out?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Cabelas sells single replacement de-capping pins for 2.99, that's what I use for my depriming. They work good enough for me. Just tap it with a hammer and it'll pop right out!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I am trying to make a couple sets of ear rings for my wife using the base of 4 rifle cases, saw some online but they don't ship to Canada, so I figure I will make my own. I have a few nickel plated 30-06 cases that will be perfect.

I want to make 2 sets, one set with the primers in and a set with the primers replaced with a crystal/glass bead of some sort.

would a regular pin punch work well enough to pop them out?
I'm sure someone in the area would have a press. Punch would probably work but it has to be a small one because the flash hole isn't very big.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 PM

finish nail

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:34 PM

I assume the primer is dead...just cut the tip off a nail of proper diameter. You could also drill it out on a bench press. I'm sure your wife might appreciate a smaller / lighter case maybe 223 ... Or a pistol caliber? Another advantage of the smaller case with a small primer would be that you could cheap out with a smaller gem

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-23-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I assume the primer is dead...just cut the tip off a nail of proper diameter. You could also drill it out on a bench press. I'm sure your wife might appreciate a smaller / lighter case maybe 223 ... Or a pistol caliber? Another advantage of the smaller case with a small primer would be that you could cheap out with a smaller gem
I thought about a .223 as well as I have a ton of those kicking around, haha. but she doesn't like gold/brass coloured jewelry , I just happened to have some nickel plated 30-06 laying around from who knows when.

but if someone has a couple nickel plated small caliber casings laying around to donate, that would be pretty sweet
Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 PM

I wouldn't cheap out on your wife. Mine gets cranky having shells on the counter let alone hanging them of her ears or other parts that women pierce.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:23 PM

My wife used to make "ammo" ear rings, necklaces, etc. I set up one of my single stage presses for her. Used to solder the fitting into the primer hole and then re-seat a bullet just like a loaded round. Daughter graduated High School wearing a set of 9mm.

Now she has ones made with cartridge cases and fitted with crystals and other things. Ear rings, bracelets, key chains, etc. Gotta lock up the .338 lapua to keep it from becoming key chains!
Old 08-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post
My wife used to make "ammo" ear rings, necklaces, etc. I set up one of my single stage presses for her. Used to solder the fitting into the primer hole and then re-seat a bullet just like a loaded round. Daughter graduated High School wearing a set of 9mm.

Now she has ones made with cartridge cases and fitted with crystals and other things. Ear rings, bracelets, key chains, etc. Gotta lock up the .338 lapua to keep it from becoming key chains!
That's pretty cool, I enjoy making things. the wife seems to like stuff like that also. Good way to keep them happy when cash gets tight too. diamonds are awesome if you can afford them.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 PM

Wow, a woman with cartridge ear rings. That would be a turn on.

Grizz
Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I thought about a .223 as well as I have a ton of those kicking around, haha. but she doesn't like gold/brass coloured jewelry , I just happened to have some nickel plated 30-06 laying around from who knows when.

but if someone has a couple nickel plated small caliber casings laying around to donate, that would be pretty sweet
If you are still looking in a week, and don't mind a drive to SPFGA, I could likely find a pound or two...also pistol cals.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:54 PM

fill case partially with water get a wooden plug to fit the open end of the case and give a love tap . water pressure should push out your primer.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 PM

A screw and pliers will pull it out
Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I'm sure someone in the area would have a press. Punch would probably work but it has to be a small one because the flash hole isn't very big.
I decap cases regularly with a small punch and a hammer, holding the case in my one had and setting the punch in the primer flash hole, and then tapping it with the hammer.
When I am at the range shooting my old time cartridge rifles I use a punch and a block of wood to set the case on.
Cat
Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wienertongs View Post
fill case partially with water get a wooden plug to fit the open end of the case and give a love tap . water pressure should push out your primer.
Hydraulics....neat idea. Not that I need to as I have all of the reloading equipment, but you've tickled my curious nature. Gonna give this a try for the heck of it.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Smile I do this too

I set the case on a socket of the correct size to hold the brass, select a punch that is small enough and at the same time lone enough. The with a small hammer, tap tap tap.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Wow, a woman with cartridge ear rings. That would be a turn on.

Grizz
A woman with droopy ear lobes....NOT!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Hydraulics....neat idea. Not that I need to as I have all of the reloading equipment, but you've tickled my curious nature. Gonna give this a try for the heck of it.
I saw that somewhere on the net as a method for decaping Berdan primers
Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 AM

here are a few pics of the final product, and thanks again to Dean2 for the extra deprimed cases.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Cool. Not all brass is created equal. Given that Lapua and Nosler are more expensive, they would be the "Gucci" of desirability
Old 09-04-2015, 09:52 PM

I ground down an old broken screw driver to de-prime casings to reload as low velocity/fire formed chicken loads.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:20 PM

ice pick
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
ice pick
What store stocks ice picks now a days?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:42 AM

Fill case with water, pinch the neck closed with vise-grips, smack case nearest the neck with hammer. Or a wooden dowel, drill bits work too and come in various sizes, I supose even a correct size bolt could be used and ground down to fit the neck and press it out or use a hammer and give it a sharp smack.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:55 AM

I tried the water thing ONCE what a PITA!!
Water gets everywhere!!
Messy procedure and a waste of time IMO
It takes me less than 2 seconds most times to remove a Berdan primer with an awl, holding the case in one gloved hand and flicking out the primer with the awl in my other hand!
For boxes primers a small punch and a hammer is also so fast one has to try it first to believe d the speed !:thinking-006
Cat
Old 09-05-2015, 02:03 PM

I've made a ton of thumb-disks for knife blades out of pistol cartridges, and all I've ever used is a finishing nail and a small hammer to knock them out. It's not like they're going to ever be reloaded as jewellery or knife hardware, so protecting the flash hole dimensions doesn't matter. More difficult to actually cut the bottom 1/8in. off the cartridge case, keep it level & smooth & not take the tip of your finger off.

I use a little Dremel router table, and mount a carbide disk in the dremel. I built a couple of small jigs that I can drop a case into and thenrun it along the fence on the table, cut the case off nice and straight & keep my digits intact. Works well, and then a trip through the ultrasonic cleaner and polished with renaissance wax, they look really good.

For a different look, you can buy metal blackener from a model train supplier. Paint the brass or nickel case head with it and it gives the case a really neat "distressed " look, and doesn't rub off on your hands ( or in this case, the lady's ears)
Old 09-05-2015, 02:03 PM

Default H2o

With the berdan primed GP11 I just put a case full of water in a shellholder on a piece of plywood on the floor on a towel.A socket extention of the correct neck size and tap with a hammer.De-primed............... no mess....Harold
Old 09-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
here are a few pics of the final product, and thanks again to Dean2 for the extra deprimed cases.

Very nice!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
What store stocks ice picks now a days?
ice chippers and ice picks / www.foodservicewarehouse,com fsw /1877 877 5655. lotsa bars and food joints have ice picks around.

I have couple older ones I keep with my reloading gear,filed one down just right to pop out the odd primer,even a good fish jig can pinch them out,also straighten out a few jigs with long shanks pinched the bar,those big old lake trout jigs when straightened out, sometimes a little heat so they don,t snap in the curve,all you have to do is tap on top of the jig head and out it comes.When your stuck out in the bush you use what you have around.If your in a bind and you break watch link and your far away from a store just take a 1/2 once jig and snip it the right length, ,best watch bracelet pin around,flatten the ends so it doesn,t slip out or put a curve in the pin.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
ice chippers and ice picks / www.foodservicewarehouse,com fsw /1877 877 5655. lotsa bars and food joints have ice picks around.

I have couple older ones I keep with my reloading gear,filed one down just right to pop out the odd primer,even a good fish jig can pinch them out,also straighten out a few jigs with long shanks pinched the bar,those big old lake trout jigs when straightened out, sometimes a little heat so they don,t snap in the curve,all you have to do is tap on top of the jig head and out it comes.When your stuck out in the bush you use what you have around.If your in a bind and you break watch link and your far away from a store just take a 1/2 once jig and snip it the right length, ,best watch bracelet pin around,flatten the ends so it doesn,t slip out or put a curve in the pin.
Cool, ya they would be quite hardened steel.
Some good ideas there.
I picked one up at a garage sale awhile back.
Thanks,