Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
you drive all the way across the 1/4 to walk the treeline bordering the next 1/4????
When you've got 20 minutes of legal light - sure. Why not?
When the guy you're hunting with has limited mobility - sure. Why not?
When you're driving the property to spook coyotes out - sure. Why not?
If the landowner just told you to drive over to a certain point and walk north - sure. Why not?

Just because the choice isn't one you'd make, doesn't make the choice wrong. Right?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Those damn city guys! Did you ask them if they were from the city or are you just assuming?
I wish I could keep them damn country guys from skidooing across my land in the winter. Ahhh, maybe they are city guys, I haven't had an opportunity to catch up with any of em to ask where they are from.

You know some of us country guys now have to live in the city for work reasons. I never seen a city until I was 30 years old but I guess because I now live in one I am one, hmmm, oh well. There are good and bad hunters, some from the city, some from the country.
I agree if hunting causes you this much stress, maybe it's time to packer in.
Well said. I know great guys and hunters from both the city and country. I also know some real dipsticks in the country not too far from me. I do think that the city guys come out to the country with a few more stress issues though, 'specially if they had to drive Deerfoot to get here. Did I mention that it's good to be a country boy?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
When you've got 20 minutes of legal light - sure. Why not?
When the guy you're hunting with has limited mobility - sure. Why not?
When you're driving the property to spook coyotes out - sure. Why not?
If the landowner just told you to drive over to a certain point and walk north - sure. Why not?

Just because the choice isn't one you'd make, doesn't make the choice wrong. Right?
Good answers, if you're not a Lawyer you should look into it,....
Old 12-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Who condones illegal activities. I actually saw no illegal acts this year. Not by anyone and we saw lots of hunters on the private land we hunted every guy I met had gotten permission I guess I just hunt in good non marginal turf.
Here is a whole thread of people that condone illegal activity.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=46580
Old 12-05-2009, 07:00 PM

I am not interested in a fight either but the smug arrogance of people who believe they are the only ones that are less than marginal hunters and the only ones that report people breaking the law is a struggle for me !!! You know why because the most arrogant poacher reporting P--K I know is a poacher and a theif and a dishonest jerk. He's the guy that steals peoples trail cam's thinks he has an exclusive right to every piece of property he hunts on. He has ruined hunts for people I know and caused one of my best friends to vacate the sport. So me, I keep my eyes open abide by the law and report as I see fit. I will not complain, so I will not need you sympathy lad! I love my sport I support every positive aspect of it. That said I am deeply suspicious of people who find so much trouble and have such issues with bitterness.

Forgive me but I had to sort that out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
My point Donny was that there are folks crapping on the original poster for bringing this up. You went ahead and tried to make it sound as though illegal and dangerous acts are the norm, everyone is doing it, and its ok. Youd be the only one between the two of us that finds this sh*t funny. Maybe you didnt see anything bad this year, great, but there is alot of it going on, and there are alot of folks that are up to thier chin with it, non hunters that cater to hunters included. Laugh it off, do what ever, but dont ever post on here pizzing and complaining about an oportunity that was lost to you or even getting screwed over by poachers. You will get no sympathy from me. Theres an old saying,,,, You make your bed, you can sleep in it. Outdoor folk that arent helping to do thier part in prevention/reporting these things best be getting thier sh*t together soon. We could all use a little help.

Edit. Sorry there Donny. Not trying to pick a fight, just had it with these sort of issues. Its a plague. Problem is I dont see it getting any better. Shes a pretty bad scene out there.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
Here is a whole thread of people that condone illegal activity.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=46580
that thread is more to do with ethics and values than the actual law I would call F&W but I would feel sad and I would ask for permission and they would denie it.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
that thread is more to do with ethics and values than the actual law I would call F&W but I would feel sad and I would ask for permission and they would denie it.
I agree, they put their ethics and values above the law, therefore condoning the activity.
just making a point that some do condone breaking the law and then report others.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Glad you got that off your shoulders then Don. Thanks for letting everyone know that you are actually comprehending what is going on "out there". Beats the heck outa making lite of a serious problem,,, don't it??? It does for me anyways. By the way, theres no smug arrogance here, only a very clear understanding of where we are right now, and where we should be going, old boy. Thanks.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Why are you dragging me into this.. Bored tonight..

I have been silent on this little whine fest and want to keep it that way. You want to chat little boy go to the P.M.'s I have one waiting there for you..
What make you and hal53 think im young or little? Well i guess if your old and overweight you may be correct. just sick of reading you and hal53,s put downs for anybody who asks a question concerning anything. Or how your opinions seem to always be the best. Guess what NOBODY CARES. I can use a example of a post you two had that was locked called READ THE FRIKKIN REGS. When did you two become the voice of alberta outdoorsmen? with you cobined 1000,s of posts that generally have nothing but rude smartass comments in them. you dont like it when people do it back now do you? seems to have hit a nerve now hasnt it. how do you think new or younger hunters feel when you and hal53 jump down thier necks for asking questions? or just plain dumb sarcastic posts ? Dont worry i wont bother to read the pm you sent why waste my time.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

No actually most of my post's are either congratulating hunters or fishermen on their outings or pics or creating some of my own memories and sharing the pics and stories on here.. You should try it sometime,, you know getting out and actually doing something outside and also congratulating your fellow outdoors people on here occasionally. People might actually respect your point of view..
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus81 View Post
What I don't understand is why these road hunters wear bright orange?????????????? Are they scared that other road hunters are going to think that they are deer????? Because didn't you know that deer can drive now!!!! Its amazing!.
probably if they get something they don't wanna be shot. people are to stupid to know they are stupid.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Good for you HerdBull. If no one stands up to this kind of crap it will continue to go on. People like these slobs are the reason good hunters are shunned by landowners. I for one am proud of you for taking a stand and hope they get thier *****es handed to them in court.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM

I'm with you on this one HB
They need to change the law "no shooting or having a loaded fire arm within 50 yards of a vehicle or atv during hunting season for all species"
I don't understand why the no shooting within 50 yards applies to antelope only.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM

HB I feel your pain. We have a guy who comes out here from Edmonton/Leduc area. (no slight on city dwellers intended) who has done nothing but cause us grief. I could write a 4 page essay on his antics.

I have to disagree respectivelly though with Dark's comments about more laws. We do not need more laws, what we need is more respect amongst hunters and more enforcement of the laws in place.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Well said Gunman 300, if it does not stop we will not have sport in years to come.I feel for all who had a bad season,and I for one will report all offenders.Who cares about the court days it will be worth it.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Default What we need

I agree that all poachers and trespassers should be punished. Unfortunately that is the crux of the problem. We do not need more laws.........just more enforcement of the existing ones. It's not that the thinly stretched F & W officers are not out there doing there jobs to the best of their abilities, but that there simply is not enough of them to go around at this time of year. Ya wanna know why people continue to trespass and poach? Because they can with little or no chance of ever being caught or having charges placed against them. Good on you herdbull for stepping up and making a few of the criminals pay some price, and perhaps think twice before doing it again or teaching others that this is the way to do things. Kudos too all this hunting season who had the wherewithal to step up to the plate and call the Report a Poacher line on some of these criminals. I myself never had the opportunity, but would like to think that if I did I would.

My 2 cents
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM

I think this whole road hunter/slob hunter labelling has to end. If what irks you is poachers and trespassers, then call them by what they are. Use those terms. "Slob hunters" causes confusion about what you are really talking about. If you are really advocating is that everyone should hunt the same style as you, and that anyone who doesn't (even though following all laws and regulations) is some sort of ethical degenerate, then just say that. Careful though, when you start slinging mud at other legal hunters in public.

Personally, I don't see how driving down a road, seeing an animal on land you have permission to hunt, getting out of the vehicle and taking a legal shot inside the property boundary is so much more unethical than driving down a trail on your ATV ten miles in the back country, seeing an animal, getting off your ATV and taking a legal shot. Or just driving your ATV right to your stand or bear bait. I haven't actually taken such a shot, but I don't think it's that terrible.

Besides, if a certain percentage of hunters stick to areas 100 yards or less from the road, it just makes more space and less congestion for you to get the best game deeper in the forest.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-08-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM

I'm so glad I gave up hunting agriculture land and stick to crown bush land. It's so peaceful and quite and I hardly ever run into another hunter-(least where I hunt anyhow).