Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Suzuki Outboards Opinions.

I'm trying to help my 69 year old dad find a new to him "tinner" fishing setup.
He wants a 14' boat motor and trailer.

A few that I've found have Suzuki outboards. Like 2005, 4 stroke 9.9's

Are these a decent motor with reasonable parts availability?

We are only familiar with older Mercury, Johnson/Evinrude stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:57 AM

I don't know about the small engines, but I have a 2008 DF115 and it is a really sweet engine. Quieter than my 8hp Honda kicker. I would buy another without a single doubt. Haven't needed any parts except maintenance stuff. Oil filters and spark plugs are standard car stuff available anywhere. Ordered water pump, thermostat and poppet valve from Selka Marine in Kelowna, BC. a few years ago. Got fuel filters on Amazon.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 AM

very few places work on suzuki anymore
buy yamaha, merc, evinrude

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
very few places work on suzuki anymore
buy yamaha, merc, evinrude
Funny you mentioned Evinrude, my 70 HP fi Evinrude was built by Suzuki. Never had an issue in 16 yrs.

Would not hesitate to buy another Suzuki.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Funny you mentioned Evinrude, my 70 HP fi Evinrude was built by Suzuki. Never had an issue in 16 yrs.

My 2000 40hp 4 stroke Evinrude is a Suzuki as well. Still no issues(knock on wood).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:

They have made massive leaps and bounds with the e-tecs apparently. Very popular on the ocean.

I have found some amazing deals on Zuki outboards, to the point where I was going to grab it and a boat later, but was told that servicing is scarce, parts are worse.

Back to Merc or Yamaha.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-31-2019, 02:25 PM

Everything I've ever heard is Suzuki is one of the best boat motors going. Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki basically the only way to go.....
Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 PM

I was on a charter last week and discussed outboards with the skipper. He claimed the zukies had issues with the gearbox. He told me he’s lost four gearboxes on his charter boats before switching to Yamahas. These were all 250’s on 30+ foot boats not the 9.9’s but it would be something I looked into before buying one. I had a four stroke 9.9 as a kicker on my Lund and it never missed a beat.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:02 PM

I looked into the suzuki when I was shoping for a new motor this spring. I Talked to the guy at Free Spirit marine, they are a Suzuki dealer. He told me forty hp and up great motors ,but Suzuki switched to Taiwan for their smaller outboards and he said the quality is just not there on those motors anymore.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 PM

Yeah it's so hard to know what's what anymore as everything seems to be built by somebody else and then rebadged by another guy. One outfit in particular that caught my eye has a 2005 Suzuki 15 hp 4 stroke. Looks like new. But I know nothing about them.

My dad has a 60's 6hp Johnson tiller that runs like new still. It was my grandfathers.

My goal is to get to a point in life where I can afford the time to wear out a new fishing boat.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:56 AM

I had a 8hp 4 stroke,laid it down for transport,the correct way .Could never get it to start.Took it back,for warranty work.Finally the guy gave me my money back.The buying point for me was,that it was a TOHATSU.which makes Mercury motors.Had merc's with NO issues.Can't explain,except possibly the transporting allowed fuel,to get into the crankcase.I believe they now have a fuel shut off on them..
Old 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM

If it was a tahutsu then it wasn’t a Suzuki because Suzuki along with Honda and and Yamaha make their own motors. but Mercury and Evinrude under 40 hp are Tahatsu’s so if your buy one of these go with the best price.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
If it was a tahutsu then it wasn’t a Suzuki because Suzuki along with Honda and and Yamaha make their own motors. but Mercury and Evinrude under 40 hp are Tahatsu’s so if your buy one of these go with the best price.
Evinrudes under 15hp are built by Tohatsu ,15 and up are the etec motors and are BRP (Evinrude built) .

https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/b...all-outboards/

That said the new evinrudes bare little resemblance beyond the name to your fathers /grand fathers old Evinrudes
Old 06-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
They have made massive leaps and bounds with the e-tecs apparently. Very popular on the ocean.

I have found some amazing deals on Zuki outboards, to the point where I was going to grab it and a boat later, but was told that servicing is scarce, parts are worse.

Back to Merc or Yamaha.
I would take the suzuki 4 stock over a merc unless of course your looking for a boat anchor....

mack
Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM

I have to agree with Mack. Go for the Suzuki. Avoid Merc at all costs. Merc motors are crap. Better yet find a Honda or a Yammy.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:55 AM

I cant speak to their quality, but I know a few guys running Suzuki outboards and damn are they quiet. That said, my first choice would be Yamaha. Almost everywhere I've been in the world where boats are used for transportation and work rather than recreation I've noticed that Yamaha's are hanging off at least 90% of the boats.

But I too would take a Suzuki over a Merc.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Had a Tohatsu 40 and it was a great motor.

BTW all 50HP and under Merc's and Nissan's are all made by Tohatsu
Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Had a Tohatsu 40 and it was a great motor.

BTW all 50HP and under Merc's and Nissan's are all made by Tohatsu
According to Wikipedia: "Mercury Marine's primary business is outboard motors. Mercury Outboards, 30 Hp and less, are made by Tohatsu in Japan.[1] Mercury Marine builds 40, 50 and 60 horsepower outboard motors in Suzhou, China.[2] Mercury also manufactures engines over 75 horsepower at its facility in Fond du Lac in Wisconsin.

Mercury also makes the MerCruiser line of sterndrives (inboard/outboard drives) and inboard motors. Mercury Racing is the company's division for racing engines tailored for power and speed.

And Nissan is Tohatsu; http://www.nissanmarine.com/

NISSAN OUTBOARDS ARE NOW TOHATSU
Nissan Marine has discontinued sales of their outboard motors manufactured by Tohatsu Outboards, a long time partner and manufacturer for Nissan Marine. Tohatsu outboards are identical and their parts and accessories are fully compatible with all existing Nissan Marine engines. Tohatsu dealers are able to provide parts, service and warranty support for all existing Nissan Marine owners. Tohatsu continues to build the same high-quality engine you’ve come to rely on and offers a full line of outboards, from 2.5hp to 250hp, all backed by a 5 year limited warranty.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Hmmm. Found one today with a 2017 9.8 Tohatsu, any difference between those and the ones badged Mercury or Evinrude? Do the parts interchange?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM

Have a Suzuki DT150 fuel and oil injected 2 stroke and an 8 HP 2 stroke carburated and oil injected kicker on a 19' Warrior Deep V tournament boat. Both made in 1993. No issues on either motor in all that time. Run great to this day. Buying used, it is all about how they were cared for. A 2005 Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda will all be great motors. Suzuki parts are not hard to get but the older any outboard is the more of a challenge it becomes. A 2005 is already 14 years old so no matter what make, it doesn't hurt to order a spare impeller, carb kit if not injected, and a couple of other use type parts and keep them in the garage.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have a Suzuki DT150 fuel and oil injected 2 stroke and an 8 HP 2 stroke carburated and oil injected kicker on a 19' Warrior Deep V tournament boat. Both made in 1993. No issues on either motor in all that time. Run great to this day. Buying used, it is all about how they were cared for. A 2005 Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda will all be great motors. Suzuki parts are not hard to get but the older any outboard is the more of a challenge it becomes. A 2005 is already 14 years old so no matter what make, it doesn't hurt to order a spare impeller, carb kit if not injected, and a couple of other use type parts and keep them in the garage.

I agree, I think it's pertinent that you change the impeller on any used outboard you buy if it's more than two or maybe three years old, change the gear oil and if it's a 4 stroke like some of these the engine oil as well.

It's actually really surprising how available most outboard parts still are. We never have a problem getting parts for our '76 6hp Johnson.
Up until it finally died a few years ago we we were still getting parts for a 66 Viking (sold by Eatons I think)

Any make is great so long as it runs and gets you on the water. Haha

Personally I've been trying to talk him out of a "tinner" anyway. They allready have a nice 19' bow rider, I told him to spend the money he'd use buying a used tinner on a good bow mount trolling motor and some electronics in the bow rider and just use that. He'll never wear out the 4.3 Mercruiser.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Im on my 2nd set of Suzuki motors now. Never had any issues with service or parts. I see lots of boats now changing over to Suzuki's.
Jim