Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Default That’s like blaming a mass murder on video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
I think that closer shots are more doable and ethical. At longer distances you have a higher percentage of missing or wounding without the chance of a follow up shot 150 opposed to 850. Tv has led some down the wrong path, there wouldn't be this huge craze of extreme everything if there was no posting and bragging. It should be fathers teach your children to hunt, not watch some program and think that's easy. There is something to be said about the modest person who does it for the love of it, and not for the posting fame. That's my oppinion.
So your saying that nobody should post a picture of a big animal on AO because there just bragging?
You know anyone can just pop in to this forum also, just as easy as Facebook.
I think if people take shots that they haven’t practised and do not know they can make it’s irresponsible. It is the person that is shooting that is at fault not a TV shows fault. It’s called ignorance.
If they don’t know their limits that’s not because of a TV show it’s because they don’t practice to find out their effective range.
Last year I pulled my antelope tag after 14 years and didn’t want to miss out from not being prepared so I spent a lot of time at the range practicing and hand loading. Trying to hit the windiest days and studying wind charts I found my effective range was 500 yards. I ended up shooting my antelope at 164 yards but I was fully confident in shooting him at 500.
Don’t worry I will not post any pics because it offends you.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
For his personal gain and tv, you have to look a little deeper.
Absolutley he's gained from it and many others as well. Is that wrong? You cannot deny the fact that he does whatever he can, when ever he can to promote hunting which as I said, is alot more than many of us.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
So you don't want to see the number of people who hunt increase either?
Why would you want more hunter than there already is? I have nothing to gain from it? Lots to lose, like: Less access to hunting areas because other hunters already have permission, More encounters in the field with other hunters, which usually screws up your hunt, Longer wait times to get draws, less game from over hunting, I could go on all day on this. Sure, Jim Shockey wants to promote hunting, he's an outfitter for gods sake, it's his livelihood, why wouldn't he, Ryan Kohler, Cabelas, Bass Pro, they all want as many hunters in the field as they can possible get out their, that's how thy make their money. But from a hunters perspective, less hunters equals greater opportunities period. I don't want to be bumping into other huntings non-stop in the field, do you? Please enlighten me?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Why would you want more hunter than there already is? I have nothing to gain from it? Lots to lose, like: Less access to hunting areas because other hunters already have permission, More encounters in the field with other hunters, which usually screws up your hunt, Longer wait times to get draws, less game from over hunting, I could go on all day on this. Sure, Jim Shockey wants to promote hunting, he's an outfitter for gods sake, it's his livelihood, why wouldn't he, Ryan Kohler, Cabelas, Bass Pro, they all want as many hunters in the field as they can possible get out their, that's how thy make their money. But from a hunters perspective, less hunters equals greater opportunities period. I don't want to be bumping into other huntings non-stop in the field, do you? Please enlighten me?
It's simple, we are louder if our numbers are greater. Ya some of those things you mention suck but that's just selfishness. The more people doing it the more its accepted. Plain and simple.

I mean, we're talking about the issue of hunting being shut down for good. If you think it's going to end with Grizzly hunting in BC your dead wrong. People like Ryan Kohler, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Jim Shockey, can lobby for our side. It's much easier to shut us down with out the likes of them on our side.

And really...we live in Alberta. If you can't find enough space here for more hunters there's something wrong.

Last edited by DJS; 01-04-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Because hiding it is going to help the cause...
Old 01-04-2018, 10:31 AM

Excellent thread.

Respectfully DJS, we don’t need more people hunting. We’re already in a world of hurt in Alberta (and I imagine elsewhere as well) with longer draw wait times, increased trespassing, decreased permission, more cases of poaching, increased numbers in the fields, people not knowing hunting laws or game identification. I could go on. It’ll only get worse, not better.

Furthermore, I think there’s an argument that hunting was more ‘socially’ acceptable 10 years ago than it is today. Yes, it’s more ‘in your face’ today than 10 years ago….but that doesn’t make it any more socially acceptable.

10 years ago, you could have a respectful and intelligent conversation with a non-hunter about the benefits of hunting….taking a more active role in the meat you provide your family…game management, etc.

Now, many of those same people think we’re all bloodthirsty murderers, nothing more, all because of social media and the few knuckleheads that think it’s cool to post a ‘lead filled’ bear rolling down a mountain….for the entire planet to see, no less.

So….let’s add more people to the mix that are only doing it for the ‘contagious excitement’ displayed on TV and the glory on social media? I don’t think so.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 AM

I think there is a difference between hiding something and not putting it out on display. I don't post hunting photos with any dead animals anymore. Reason being is that I know most people on Facebook don't want to see that, and as much as I know I have a ego, I try not to brag about my hunting.

My girlfriend, mom and sister enjoy hearing about my hunting success, hearing hunting stories, eating the delicious meat and seeing photos of the hunt and landscape. But, they definitely do not want to see a picture of a dead elk laying in a pool of blood with its tongue hanging out, or any dead pictures. And even if its my right to do so I don't show them those pictures, because they do not want to see them.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
It's simple, we are louder if our numbers are greater. Ya some of those things you mention suck but that's just selfishness. The more people doing it the more its accepted. Plain and simple.

I mean, we're talking about the issue of hunting being shut down for good. If you think it's going to end with Grizzly hunting in BC your dead wrong. People like Ryan Kohler, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Jim Shockey, can lobby for our side. It's much easier to shut us down with out the likes of them on our side.

And really...we live in Alberta. If you can't find enough space here for more hunters there's something wrong.
If bumping into droves of people in the field, seeing way less game, being denied access because landowners are just plain sick of so many hunters asking, not getting a draw for 10 years is just plain selfish, and that's what it's going to take to fight the antis? No thanks! That's not my idea of hunting nor a enjoyable experience, I'd rather take my chances with the 'antis', because your alternative is worse. The whole idea of an outdoor experience is the opposite, it's to get away from crowds of people, not go on a hunt with them. You obviously weren't out hunting when you rarely bumped into other hunters, and game was actually plentiful god forbid! The new norm now is if you see a deer or get a bite from a fish, that's a successful day.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdundee View Post
Excellent thread.

Respectfully DJS, we don’t need more people hunting. We’re already in a world of hurt in Alberta (and I imagine elsewhere as well) with longer draw wait times, increased trespassing, decreased permission, more cases of poaching, increased numbers in the fields, people not knowing hunting laws or game identification. I could go on. It’ll only get worse, not better.

Furthermore, I think there’s an argument that hunting was more ‘socially’ acceptable 10 years ago than it is today. Yes, it’s more ‘in your face’ today than 10 years ago….but that doesn’t make it any more socially acceptable.

10 years ago, you could have a respectful and intelligent conversation with a non-hunter about the benefits of hunting….taking a more active role in the meat you provide your family…game management, etc.

Now, many of those same people think we’re all bloodthirsty murderers, nothing more, all because of social media and the few knuckleheads that think it’s cool to post a ‘lead filled’ bear rolling down a mountain….for the entire planet to see, no less.

So….let’s add more people to the mix that are only doing it for the ‘contagious excitement’ displayed on TV and the glory on social media? I don’t think so.
Ok let's say you're right. Was it through idle respectful conversations that the legalization of marijuana was pushed through? Was it brought on by a small percentage of people? Well, yes it did start with a small percentage of people that added numbers to their cause and now there's more people smoking pot than ever before. The movement was brought on by numbers. The more people you have for whatever the cause will help. So yes, adding more people to the hunting community will help. Absolutely.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
If bumping into droves of people in the field, seeing way less game, being denied access because landowners are just plain sick of so many hunters asking, not getting a draw for 10 years is just plain selfish, and that's what it's going to take to fight the antis? No thanks! That's not my idea of hunting nor a enjoyable experience, I'd rather take my chances with the 'antis', because your alternative is worse. The whole idea of an outdoor experience is the opposite, it's to get away from crowds of people, not go on a hunt with them. You obviously weren't out hunting when you rarely bumped into other hunters, and game was actually plentiful god forbid! The new norm now is if you see a deer or get a bite from a fish, that's a successful day.
Well enjoy it now. I fear it's not going to last long.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Ok let's say you're right. Was it through idle respectful conversations that the legalization of marijuana was pushed through? Was it brought on by a small percentage of people? Well, yes it did start with a small percentage of people that added numbers to their cause and now there's more people smoking pot than ever before. The movement was brought on by numbers. The more people you have for whatever the cause will help. So yes, adding more people to the hunting community will help. Absolutely.
Maybe you're right DJS, the more people we get out in the field hunting, the less desirable hunting will become, so when we lose our hunting rights, it won't be that big of a deal anyway, cause it wasn't worth fighting for. 'Hey! We saw a deer during hunting season!! No way!!!! When hunting turns into a walk in the park with others, I'll just go to Jasper where you might even see something. I guess that depends on how successful the first nations hunt was in the park.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Wow,
Can you not see the end to our tradition, our heritage then?
We need MORE hunters, they are our future.
Your not wanting Posibly your future grand kids or great grandkids hunting?
I guess not, by the sounds of it, it's all about you.
Greed is a funny thing.
Personally, I'd rather watch a newbie, my daughters or friends harvest now than myself.
But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
So you don't want to see the number of people who hunt increase either?
Umm not really unless it's taught, not watched on tv or youtube, I see loads of trucks driving around throwing garbage, drinking, shooting at everything, trespassing and causing a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths out there, so no less would be better if that's the crowd you want to have join with us, have at er! How did anyone ever live to be an old age without posting every move they made.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe you're right DJS, the more people we get out in the field hunting, the less desirable hunting will become, so when we lose our hunting rights, it won't be that big of a deal anyway, cause it wasn't worth fighting for. 'Hey! We saw a deer during hunting season!! No way!!!! When hunting turns into a walk in the park with others, I'll just go to Jasper where you might even see something. I guess that depends on how successful the first nations hunt was in the park.
You honestly sound like hunting is only meant for you.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Umm not really, I see loads of trucks driving around throwing garbage, drinking, trespassing and causing a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths out there, so no less would be better if that's the crowd you want to have join with us, have at er!
Ya there's a few bad apples out there. Always will be. In every crowd. Are you saying the majority of hunters are like that?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
where I hunt in centeral alberta it's a gong show.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying , where I hunt in centeral alberta it's a gong show.
Just to be clear...your saying that most hunters are irresponsible, trespassers, and litterers?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just to be clear...your saying that most hunters are irresponsible, trespassers, and litterers?
Yes lots are here, I'm saying social media is causing more people who don't have a clue to go out! A bunch of people loaded in trucks chasing deer and being real idiots. There are good hunters out there but I don't think we need more idiots resulting from social media
Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Yes lots are here, I'm saying social media is causing more people who don't have a clue to go out! A bunch of people loaded in trucks chasing deer and being real idiots. There are good hunters out there but I don't think we need more idiots resulting from social media
I'm sorry but that's just not what I see and I think most hunters would take great offence to that.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The more hunters you have out there, the more Facebook posts, the more trespassing, the more ammo for the antis, and you say it's a good thing? Your logic is flawed. Many landowners used to welcome hunters, not anymore, they guard it against hunters 24/7. The newbie hunters who don't have a clue, and these are the people who are going to save hunting? What a laugh that is. Hunting is not a sport where crowds is a good thing, if you want to be successful at it. If you want an outing, just go to banff with the crowds there, and you don't even need to carry a rifle. Bonus. That way you are in the element that you belong in.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's just not what I see and I think most hunters would take great offence to that.
Well if you don't see it, I guess it doesn't happen and I'm just lying.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The more hunters you have out there, the more Facebook posts, the more trespassing, the more ammo for the antis, and you say it's a good thing? Your logic is flawed. Many landowners used to welcome hunters, not anymore, they guard it against hunters 24/7. The newbie hunters who don't have a clue, and these are the people who are going to save hunting? What a laugh that is. Hunting is not a sport where crowds is a good thing, if you want to be successful at it. If you want an outing, just go to banff with the crowds there, and you don't even need to carry a rifle. Bonus. That way you are in the element that you belong in.
The laughable thing here is that I spent upwards of 70 days this year hunting and ran into others hunters a handful of times. The logic is not flawed at all unless you want to keep hunting all for your self.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
The laughable thing here is that I spent upwards of 70 days this year hunting and ran into others hunters a handful of times. The logic is not flawed at all unless you want to keep hunting for your self.
That's because lots of people are working, and when the weekend comes it's a gong show, But it sure would be nice to play for 2 months.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
That's because lots of people are working, and when the weekend comes it's a gong show, But it sure would be nice to play for 2 months.
Yes it's great! I have a job I work very hard at but I do get and make the time to do what I'm passionate about the most. In all my travels I very seldom run into other hunters when I'm off the beaten path. I do encounter some of the things you've witnessed over the years and in no way am I saying none of those things ever happen. But the majority of hunters out there are some of the best, down to earth, decent people you will ever meet. We need more of these people!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes it's great! I have a job I work very hard at but I do get and make the time to do what I'm passionate about the most. In all my travels I very seldom run into other hunters when I'm off the beaten path. I do encounter some of the things you've witnessed over the years and in no way am I saying none of those things ever happen. But the majority of hunters out there are some of the best, down to earth, decent people you will ever meet. We need more of these people!
I wish I hunted where you do. Yes we do, decent hunters is great.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I wish I hunt where you do. Yes we do, decent hunters is great.
I've hunted all over the province. I see the same thing almost everywhere. Even on an Antelope hunt this past fall, when most people said there was no way I'd get permission, you'll get frustrated with all the hunting pressure...none of that was true.

Like I said, your right when you say it will attract some "idiots'. But it will attract some good people too. Maybe I'm just naive but I believe the number of good people out there outweigh the idiots of the world. Don't hide from what you believe in. Show off your trophies, whether its a 180 inch buck or a fat doe and be proud of it. Keep it in good taste. Hope that others join our sport so that we can keep it going for years and generations to come.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Long after hunting is banned there will still be poachers and law breakers shooting signs and trespassing. Strength in numbers is what it takes to win this battle, like it or not.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I've hunted all over the province. I see the same thing almost everywhere. Even on an Antelope hunt this past fall, when most people said there was no way I'd get permission, you'll get frustrated with all the hunting pressure...none of that was true.

Like I said, your right when you say it will attract some "idiots'. But it will attract some good people too. Maybe I'm just naive but I believe the number of good people out there outweigh the idiots of the world. Don't hide from what you believe in. Show off your trophies, whether its a 180 inch buck or a fat doe and be proud of it. Keep it in good taste. Hope that others join our sport so that we can keep it going for years and generations to come.
lol
Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
long after hunting is banned there will still be poachers and law breakers shooting signs and trespassing. Strength in numbers is what it takes to win this battle, like it or not.
100%
Old 01-04-2018, 03:08 PM

To those that say we shouldn't be proud of being hunters and should hide our pictures and videos I have one question: How did hiding in the closet work out for the gays? It wasn't until they took it to the streets and had a parade every year that they got to where they are now. Hiding doesn't work. Being proud and respectful does.
Just my 2 cents