Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Default 2018 Reviews

This thread is for person who have acquired a new bow this fall, or tested a new bow this fall, to post their experience and reviews. Unfortunately I am not in the market for a new bow this year, but I enjoy reading other experiences with new models.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Omp Ozark hunter LB

Just got my new bow last week from the archers nook out of Ontario it's a long bow by OMP the Ozark mountain man hunter . Let's go back in time for a second, iv always shot recurves and have enjoyed them but deep down wanted a longbow but recurves always seemed to be cheaper ( ones I looked at ) and my go to was a samick sage just seemed to sit right in my hand. Any ways fast forward to now. I started reading reviews on long bows and the one that kept popping up was the omp LB no real bad reviews online so I decided I could spend the $237 bucks for one and if it didn't work out I could resell it . So the base stats . 68 inch long, brace hight of 6 5/8 in , fast flight string, rated for 45 lbs at 28. ( I draw 31 and zero stacking felt ) shooting a 31 1/2 inch arrow 2117 gamegetter ( aluminum ) (400 spine ) with a 200gn head. Oh and it's black fiberglass on limbs ( other model is clear but $30 more ) so I got the bow and tore into the packing picked it out and held it. It was flawless no glass bubbles no streaks the wood was perfect with a low gloss finish, I just stared at it, this didn't look or feel like a bow under $250 my sage feels like what I payed for even if it shoots good , this felt good and balanced, there was no reflex / deflex I could see in limbs and when I strung it ,it formed a very nice D. On a side note the grip is large, I have a large hand and it fit good but on a smaller hand a small amount of file work might be the order of the day. Any ways out side I went bow in one hand and my new arrows in the other. Thinking ok I've read the hand shock on a longbow with a straight grip could be bad and since this was cheap it was going to knock my teeth out. I place my arrow on the string drew back and released, nothing barely a vibe and my arrow was almost dead on center. So no hand shock very awesome and hit were I wanted first go. Must be luck told my self , well got eleven more arrows , well next two hit almost same as first ,then my mind did what ever it does when you instinctive shoot and next nine were in a thight group in center with fleching all touching. Wow is all I can say, on a very good day I'd be lucky to do that with my sage and this bow never shot before zero practice and that grouping , must be luck, so spent rest of afternoon shooting and same thing. So I don't know maybe something about longbow just matched up with me. Ah yes review . So at the end of the day and a week shooting this bow and rabbit hunting with it I can say this is a very slick longbow for any one on a budget, light weight, smooth and oh yes very best part LEFT HANDED yes I'm a lefty , they make it in right hand also lol. It seems made for instinctive shooting was no learning curve for me any ways. Just look at Target ,draw, release, iv also tryed shooting it in bad form, in those odd angles u get when out in the brush, and it has preformed well, only time it has been picky is if I mess up my release, I shoot split finger ,if my top finger hangs up a little it will throw that arrow wild, finger tab Easyer for me with this bow ,little more forgiving with tab, any ways I don't review stuff probably did it wrong , but that's my story with my new bow and how it worked for me, and seems that's ways it works for most other reviews iv seen online so it is a very consistent bow, so much so I'm ordering one more the same next month as a back up should any thing happen to this one.