Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 AM

Default hunting tag info

Hello i am fairly new to hunting i have read the regulations a few time front t back and either did not find or missed how many tags can one hunter have i talk to people i work with and one had 14 and the other was only allow a few any help would be great i am at a dead end
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 AM

It depends on if your bow hunting or rifle..different zones, species your looking to hunt as well as draws that you can apply for in the spring ..start by looking at what zones you intend to hunt and look what species have a General season ..
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Look on page 19 & 20 of last years regs.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-18-2018, 12:02 PM

How much money and time do you have??
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Technically a hunter could hold at the same time:

1 moose tag
1 elk tag (some areas award 2tags occasionally I beleive)
1 whitetail
2 supplemental whitetail
1 mule deer
1 turkey
1 antelope
1 sheep tag
1 black bear
1 supplemental black bear
1 cougar
1 migratory bird licence
1 upland bird/small game licence (forget off the top of my head exactly what you need to hunt grouse etc haha)

If they are lucky add

1 goat tag
1 bison tag

I probably missed something. Man, there is tons of opportunities in this beautiful province.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:03 PM

I would call bull**** on one of your co-workers having 14 tags even if it is possible. Tags work afew different ways as a new hunter you can go to a vendor and buy a general whitetail tag. General tags are not designated to one WMU this doesnt mean they can be used everywhere though. For instance a general whitetail tag cannot be used in WMU 406. You can also get tags through a draw system,this mean you pick the wmu you want to hunt in (lets say youre hunting mule deer) you choose that WMU and if you have enough priority points you get drawn. If you dont have the points you are awarded another point and you can try again next year. Thats a quick explanation
Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellswrong View Post
I would call bull**** on one of your co-workers having 14 tags even if it is possible.
Most likely the case. However, some individuals say they have x number of tags and the x includes their tags, as well as their spouse, kids, etc. Tells who really is going hunt all those tags.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM

If I read it right. It looks like according to the pages Dick listed, a guy could have 20 licenses for big game with 25 tags. Would take some pretty crazy draw luck or planning to make it happen. Lots of opportunity.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Moose
Elk
White Tail
Mule Deer
Black Bear
Strathcona Deer 3
248 Antlerless Deer 2

I had these 10 OTC tags plus 2 draw tags this year for a total of 12, a supplemental WT or black bear tag could put it up to 15 tags.

LC
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I had these 10 OTC tags plus 2 draw tags this year for a total of 12
Just wondering why. I had three: filled the elk and mule (both antlerless) and folded the whitetail since hadn't found the one I was willing to shoot and the freezer was good with the other two tags and a rear moose quarter I was gifted after helping out on the hunt and butchering.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Just wondering why. I had three: filled the elk and mule (both antlerless) and folded the whitetail since hadn't found the one I was willing to shoot and the freezer was good with the other two tags and a rear moose quarter I was gifted after helping out on the hunt and butchering.
Why not? If you have the money and the time to hunt, then why not? You never know what you’re going to see when you’re out hunting, why not be prepared for anything. I’m not saying you need to fill all those tags. But if you love to hunt, It’s better to have lots of tags that you don’t fill, than one filled tag at the beginning of the season. Then never hunt again that year!!

I had a moose tag, and general whitetail tag for big game, then I had a game bird, a federal migratory and a pheasant license. I hunted hard for probably about 15 days this season. Primarily focusing on big game. I harvested zero animals. Not for lack of trying, it just didn’t happen for me. But I was ready anyways!!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:01 AM

I have held as many as nine tags in one year, but those were the days when there was no priority system, and you couldn't predict what you would draw. As well, multiple antlerless mule deer tags were issued if you were drawn, which could add an extra tag or two. With the present priority system, I generally plan on drawing one or two tags per year, and I may purchase one over the counter tag as well. If you have the time, and you are willing to travel, you can purchase enough tags to keep you hunting for as long as most people want to hunt in one year.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Why?

If I don't have a tag...I can't fill it. I hunt early season and late season almost exclusively archery only. Throughout the season I likely hunt 30 or more days, some of these tags are bow zone only relevant and some are good throughout the province. Since the success rate with archery gear is much lower than other methods, I try to maximize the opportunity I have to fill the freezer. If I get an elk, I typically don't shoot a moose and vice versa but you never know exactly what opportunities will present during the season.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-19-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Fair enough. I actually thought I wrote "unless bow hunting"; I guess I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Why not? If you have the money and the time to hunt, then why not?
It's not really about the money and time, but more about the priority system, like elkhunter mentioned.

If I remember correctly, I never had more than five tags on my hands, including the birds (upland and migratory counted as one). Also, I have never bought a supplementary whitetail tag. Next year, I might be able to pull a bull moose and an antlered mule tags. If that's the case, I will only have those two and possibly a teddy. If I don't pull a mule tag, then it will be a whitetail. If I don't pull either, then it will be an elk and a whitetail. If I have enough time, I will also have a bird tag. So it looks like it is going to be 4 at the most. I might enter for an antlerless elk again since it is not really that big of a deal if it goes unfilled. I enter the draw for antlerless most of the time and get general antlered if I don't get picked, since I do prefer a nice young cow to a bull.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I actually thought I wrote "unless bow hunting"; I guess I didn't

It's not really about the money and time, but more about the priority system, like elkhunter mentioned.

If I remember correctly, I never had more than five tags on my hands, including the birds (upland and migratory counted as one). Also, I have never bought a supplementary whitetail tag. Next year, I might be able to pull a bull moose and an antlered mule tags. If that's the case, I will only have those two and possibly a teddy. If I don't pull a mule tag, then it will be a whitetail. If I don't pull either, then it will be an elk and a whitetail. If I have enough time, I will also have a bird tag. So it looks like it is going to be 4 at the most. I might enter for an antlerless elk again since it is not really that big of a deal if it goes unfilled. I enter the draw for antlerless most of the time and get general antlered if I don't get picked, since I do prefer a nice young cow to a bull.

Oh, I would never try to draw all my tags in one year. But as a dual season hunter (Archery/General), I will often get general tags, to up my opportunity with the bow. I used to purchase my supplemental whitetail tags every year, until they closed them down in all the areas I prefer to hunt. Some people like to focus on one or two animals, and I often do that on years that I know I won’t have a lot of time to hunt. But sometimes I’ll buy as many tags as I can, just to up my chances of being successful, because you never know what’s going to walk in front of you!! Everyone is entitled to hunt how they see fit, I say that as long as you’re legal, buy all the tags you want!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Technically a hunter could hold at the same time:

1 moose tag
1 elk tag (some areas award 2tags occasionally I beleive)
1 whitetail
2 supplemental whitetail
1 mule deer
1 turkey
1 antelope
1 sheep tag
1 black bear
1 supplemental black bear
1 cougar
1 migratory bird licence
1 upland bird/small game licence (forget off the top of my head exactly what you need to hunt grouse etc haha)

If they are lucky add

1 goat tag
1 bison tag

I probably missed something. Man, there is tons of opportunities in this beautiful province.
I’m pretty sure along with your elk tag you can also draw the wmu212 primitive weapons elk tag (which I believe this year they were giving people the option of having 2 tags). So I guess that’s 3 elk.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
I’m pretty sure along with your elk tag you can also draw the wmu212 primitive weapons elk tag (which I believe this year they were giving people the option of having 2 tags). So I guess that’s 3 elk.
Plus 2 foothills deer (antlerless, either species)