Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Jon boats and duck hunting

Does anybody here use a jon boat set up for duck hunting?
If so I would love to hear tips and tricks as well as have a look at pictures.

Just picked up a new Lowe Jon Boat. Was going to spend my free time this summer rigging it for floating hunts on some of Southern Alberta's lakes. Looking closely at purchasing the Avery Jon Boat blind.

Also, I would love to put it in a river but I do not have a jet - just a prop. Can anybody suggest any deeper river excursions I could do with a prop jon boat while duck hunting?

I would love to try the Milk River closer to where it punches back down into the states, but I am thinking thats more of a jet boat adventure.

Thoughts?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

A tactic I've used a few times is driving ducks. If you have a river that can be accessed at different points fairly close togeather float down your buddy and his dog downstream. The guy in the boat gets plenty of opportunitys but the guy you are floating towards gets some realy fast shooting when you get to him you can put him in the boat and head down to the next point for some fast shooting for yourself.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Be aware of the regulations concerning shooting from a motorized boat.

From the "Guide to hunting regulations":

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting,

I am not sure how enforcement people interpret this but to me it looks like if your prop or jet leg is in the water and you are moving (drifting) you can not shoot from that boat.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM

The response I received from SRD about this question.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Section 33(1) of the Wildlife Act, requires that the boat must be anchored or else the propulsion must be by muscular power. In the case of a power-driven craft, we would also allow a person to carry loaded firearms on (and discharge from) a boat if 1) the boat engine is shut off (or the leg is fully lifted out of the water) and, 2) the boat is no longer propelled by the effect of the engine.

We don’t require the leg to be out of the water as long as the engine is turned off. It would be too restrictive to say that the leg must be lifted in all situations, because the rudder is needed to facilitate steering a vessel (especially on a river) and some engines/legs cannot be raised from the water.

If a person wishes to hunt waterfowl from a boat, there is federal legislation in place that is very similar to that described above. However when hunting waterfowl, an additional requirement is that the forward momentum of the boat must have ceased. Presumably the federal government does not allow a person to hunt waterfowl while drifting down a river. Below, see some relevant sections from the Migratory Birds Regulations:

2(1) In this regulation,
"power boat" means any boat, canoe or yacht equipped with an electric, gasoline, oil or steam motor as a means of propulsion; (bateau à moteur)

2(3) A reference in these Regulations to the use of a power boat does not include the use of a power boat when the motor is not in operation and forward progress has ceased.

15. (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird ……(e) from any aircraft, sailboat, power boat, or motorized vehicle, or any vehicle to which a draught animal is attached.

If you have any further questions relating to hunting regulations, I would encourage you to contact the Fish and Wildlife Division district office nearest where you live, dialling 310-0000 for toll-free directory assistance within Alberta.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM

The above is what I was always lead to believe by any warden I taked to up here over the years.
We would drift down through between an island and the shore on the Athabasca with the motor shut off, and jump shoot the ducks and geese we encountered, then motor off to the next island.
Cat
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Has anybody rigged up a blind on their boat and hunted with decoys?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Gone Hunting

"If a person wishes to hunt waterfowl from a boat, there is federal legislation in place that is very similar to that described above. However when hunting waterfowl, an additional requirement is that the forward momentum of the boat must have ceased. Presumably the federal government does not allow a person to hunt waterfowl while drifting down a river. Below, see some relevant sections from the Migratory Birds Regulations:"

Interesting that the F&W person seems to be saying the province thinks it is ok to be moving down the river but the federal regs. say no.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
However when hunting waterfowl, an additional requirement is that the forward momentum of the boat must have ceased. Presumably the federal government does not allow a person to hunt waterfowl while drifting down a river. Below, see some relevant sections from the Migratory Birds Regulations:
The response SRD gave me quoted above would indicate that drifting and shooting waterfowl is not legal Cat. The above was originally forwarded to me last year by Edmonton SRD.

In follow up they indicated that it would be legal for big game as noted but not waterfowl.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Smile I have used a blind and decoys

I used a canoe, and had a dog. When we got to our spot, in the dark! I put out the decoys and then paddled into the reeds. I had a very simple blind, I covered the canoe with burlap as best I could. I then tied on to the reeds so that the canoe would stay put. Started blowing the duck call.

The ducks were mainly divers, not a big deal in Alberta, when I shot one, the dog would retrieve it and I'd take the bird, the dog would make a turn and come back and I'd pull her back into the canoe.

The crude blind worked just fine. The ducks focus on the decoys. Your boat is camo coloured so it should work fine.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Be aware of the regulations concerning shooting from a motorized boat.

From the "Guide to hunting regulations":

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting,

I am not sure how enforcement people interpret this but to me it looks like if your prop or jet leg is in the water and you are moving (drifting) you can not shoot from that boat.
If you are using a pole , oars or a paddle it would not matter if the motor leg was in the wqtrer as loing as th emotor wasn't turned on- you are using muscualr power.

maybe the policie have changed in the last 20 years but tis is what I was told, and I have been check many times with waterfowl in my boats.
Cat
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
"If a person wishes to hunt waterfowl from a boat, there is federal legislation in place that is very similar to that described above. However when hunting waterfowl, an additional requirement is that the forward momentum of the boat must have ceased. Presumably the federal government does not allow a person to hunt waterfowl while drifting down a river. Below, see some relevant sections from the Migratory Birds Regulations:"

Interesting that the F&W person seems to be saying the province thinks it is ok to be moving down the river but the federal regs. say no.
Hows this...Just before you turn off the motor of your boat you turn it up stream. So "forward momentum is in an upstream direction. Then slowly you boat tops and starts drifting backwards down stream and all forward momentum has now ceased and you are drifting backwards.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

Hmmm, the things you learn. Always scary when multiple jurisdictions have control over something. Always a good day when you learn something.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Has anybody rigged up a blind on their boat and hunted with decoys?
That is how we hunt out east. very effective and alot of fun. It is an awesome way to learn to call ducks. You know right away if it works or not. Find a spot park the boat set up decoys and blind and let er buck.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Hmmm, the things you learn. Always scary when multiple jurisdictions have control over something. Always a good day when you learn something.
Remember the thread about the ranch hand and multiple jurisdictions having control, I was hoping people would learn something there.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
That is how we hunt out east. very effective and alot of fun.
Just go ahead and spoil it for me!

Thats for the advice and stories on this one folks. Took the boat for a test run. The 15 is a bit small. 2 guys and 2 dogs is about its max. Going to start saving for the 30hp with the jet leg.