Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Banned

Exclamation Engagement on the approach to developing the federal Grizzly Bear Management Plan

Subject: Early engagement on the approach to developing the federal Grizzly Bear Management Plan

Good Day,

As you may know, the Grizzly Bear was listed as a species of special concern under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA) in June 2018. Grizzly Bear was assessed by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) as special concern in 2012 due to international and regional population declines and pre-listing consultations were undertaken in 2013. This means that, as the next step, Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) must prepare a Management Plan for Grizzly Bear and its habitat in Canada.

We are reaching out to let you know that we are beginning the early engagement process to develop the approach that we will use to prepare this Management Plan. We would like your feedback on if and how you would like to be engaged.

The purpose of a Management Plan is to prevent species of special concern from becoming threatened or endangered. The Management Plan for Grizzly Bear in Canada will be an overarching federal document that describes voluntary management practices, broad strategies and conservation measures for this species across its range in Canada. The federal Management Plan will also include a description of the needs of, and threats to, Grizzly Bears as well as the species’ background and steps to measure overall progress in addressing the threats to the species.

The Grizzly Bear Management Plan will be developed in close collaboration with the appropriate provinces, territories, and Indigenous organizations.

ECCC recognizes the cultural, ecological, and economic significance of Grizzly Bears for Indigenous people and other Canadians and understands the importance of working together in an effort to safeguard this iconic species’ well-being. The intent is for the Grizzly Bear Management Plan to reflect well-established Indigenous, provincial, and territorial conservation and management approaches and plans.

We would appreciate your response, letting us know if you would like to provide input and be involved as the work progresses. We also invite you to share with us any related information or concerns you may have with respect to the conservation of Grizzly Bears across the country. We encourage you to connect with us as soon as possible as we develop the approaches that will be used for the advancement of this Management Plan.

Please contact Undiné Thompson at undine.thompson@canada.ca at your convenience, if possible prior to July 19th, 2019.

Respectfully,
Blair Hammond
Regional Director, Pacific Region, Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment and Climate Change Canada | Government of Canada
Blair.Hammond@canada.ca | Tel: 604-350-1958
Old 07-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Now we have the Feds involved ? Ain't gonna be another Hunt if they can help it .

Grizz
Old 07-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Now we have the Feds involved ? Ain't gonna be another Hunt if they can help it .

Grizz
Again the azzholes in Ottawa telling us in the west what to do!

BW
Old 07-04-2019, 07:05 PM

I heard roumers that the feds are planning on saving us,,, Ha.

Unless the Grizzly Bears don't eat us that is...

Yuppers,,, just like the old saying goes,,, up a creek with out a paddle to navigate the white waters,,, life is just about to get Intresting all across Kanuck-azz-stand...

We ain't seen nothing yet.

👍
Old 07-05-2019, 06:56 AM

I'm sure they will listen to all we have to offer ...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2019, 06:58 AM

Wow. Come out to rmh for a day or two. I’d personally take you out for drive/hike. There’s no shortage of grizzly bears. I’m sure local residents would applaud you if you relocated a large chunk of the population.

From the 11 trail cams I run throughout the province of Alberta, in elk/moose areas, I guess I should be sending Grizz pics to the government. If fact, I pulled out of Blue Ridge area because I felt it was too dangerous to continue being there.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allseasons View Post
Wow. Come out to rmh for a day or two. I’d personally take you out for drive/hike. There’s no shortage of grizzly bears. I’m sure local residents would applaud you if you relocated a large chunk of the population.

From the 11 trail cams I run throughout the province of Alberta, in elk/moose areas, I guess I should be sending Grizz pics to the government. If fact, I pulled out of Blue Ridge area because I felt it was too dangerous to continue being there.
http://www.mountainviewbearsmart.com...ity_report.php

Grizz
Old 07-05-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allseasons View Post

I live just north of Blueridge in 507,bear bait ban was expanded a few years ago to include portion of 507 north of Athabasca R......now we are overrun with black bears because local outfitters can’t keep the numbers in check.
Government logic.....Oh no no no,ya can’t hunt grizzlies,there’s not enough of them.
Me-Ok fine,I’ll hunt black bears.
Govt-oh no no no,can’t bait black bears,too many grizzlies around here.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Not uncommon around here to lose several acres of oats per quarter to bears come September.
One ranch neighbour who owns and leases 18 quarters told me he shot 23 blacks last year.
Another farm neighbor had 11 bears in his yard at the graineries one evening last month.
Odd how the griz population is in decline/threatened,yet the bait ban expands ever further east?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Banned

People in Toronto and other areas that have no bears telling us we have no bears.

Maybe they can come out and make a documentary living with the bears.... maybe even hug them..
Old 07-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
That's because we have people in the West that don't have a clue!
According to this article and Mrs. Bear Safe, the population of Grizzlies has actually gone down by 4 since the year 2000 (when the most recent published head count of 700 was done.)
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/s...82209422404964
Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not uncommon around here to lose several acres of oats per quarter to bears come September.
One ranch neighbour who owns and leases 18 quarters told me he shot 23 blacks last year.
Another farm neighbor had 11 bears in his yard at the graineries one evening last month.
Odd how the griz population is in decline/threatened,yet the bait ban expands ever further east?
We need to live trap a bunch of these bears and deposit them on Parliament Hill!

BW
Old 07-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

BW
Oh please God , place all politicians on " The Endangered Species List "

Amen
Old 07-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
We need to live trap a bunch of these bears and deposit them on Parliament Hill!

BW
Capital idea!

I will even volunteer to tow the first (full) bear trap to Ottawa...
Old 07-05-2019, 05:46 PM

All indications in western North America show that the gbear population is expanding, but our federal government wants to spend more money protecting them.

I would really like to see some data that verifies the "economic significance of Grizzly Bears for Indigenous people". "Indigenous" was a popular word in that article.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-05-2019, 06:47 PM

The process is going to happen. This is a great opportunity to complain directly to the Feds.

My suggestion is that the everyone respond to the request for comment, and tell them that the first priority must be a thorough population count of all G bears in and outside of the bear management areas.

Without fudging their work, the truth of Alberta's grizzly bear population will be revealed.
An updated population count will take Grizzly's off the protection list based on current requirements.

Let their study bite them in the azz.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Oy veyh. What a joke.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:59 AM

I heard roumers that the government wants to integrate wild life into our everyday day lives,,, that way all of us can be ONE...

Ha

https://youtu.be/pN3FmAEQtWA
Old 07-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I live just north of Blueridge in 507,bear bait ban was expanded a few years ago to include portion of 507 north of Athabasca R......now we are overrun with black bears because local outfitters can’t keep the numbers in check.
Government logic.....Oh no no no,ya can’t hunt grizzlies,there’s not enough of them.
Me-Ok fine,I’ll hunt black bears.
Govt-oh no no no,can’t bait black bears,too many grizzlies around here.

Love it.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:40 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The process is going to happen. This is a great opportunity to complain directly to the Feds.

My suggestion is that the everyone respond to the request for comment, and tell them that the first priority must be a thorough population count of all G bears in and outside of the bear management areas.

Without fudging their work, the truth of Alberta's grizzly bear population will be revealed.
An updated population count will take Grizzly's off the protection list based on current requirements.

Let their study bite them in the azz.
THIS!!! 1,000 %

On It!

Nog