Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Toyota buying experiences

I’ve been thinking about buying a Tacoma to replace my old car. I’ve talked to a few guys who have purchased new at Toyota dealerships and most of them haven’t had any luck negotiating a price much less than the sticker price. I’ve never paid sticker price for a vehicle and I never will. Is this standard with Toyota dealers or are these guys just accepting a poor deal. What have you guys experienced.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Some Toyota dealers look at you like you have two heads when you negotiate. Almost offends them.

I have bought 3 new Toyota’s in a row. First 2 from Wetaskwin and the last from Sherwood Park. All 3 prices were great deals from salesman willing to deal
Old 11-20-2019, 06:01 PM

I bought a 16 4Runner through a broker. About $2500 better than dealership.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:01 PM

They are accepting a poor deal. Unless something has changed since I bought my Tundra 3 years ago, and a friend of a friend bought his 12-18 months back. I saved 5-6% on mine, the other guy did a little better.

I would recommend steering clear of Northwest Toyota at all costs. I've had several pretty jaw droppingly bad experiences there with all of sales, service, finance and managment. Mayfield Toyota has been much better.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:15 PM

I’m in Calgary. One of the guys left the city and purchased on red deer. I’ll travel a bit to save a few buck and I don’t like high pressure sales guys most dealers throw at me. Vehicle buying experiences are some of the worst sales interactions I’ve every had and some sales guys are just down right rude and entitled.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:27 PM

I have purchased from three different dealers, Wetaskiwin was the least anxious to deal, Sherwood Park gave me the best discount. The discount was greater on dealer installed options, than on the vehicle itself.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Default It’s Possible

I bought a new 2019 Tundra in August for $11,000 off MSRP with zero extra dealer fees
Old 11-20-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have purchased from three different dealers, Wetaskiwin was the least anxious to deal, Sherwood Park gave me the best discount. The discount was greater on dealer installed options, than on the vehicle itself.
Customer service was great at Sherwood Park too.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
this is more what I was hearing from the 2 guys I know they said there wasn't any discounts on the truck but they ended up getting some dealer installed options for free. i was hoping to find out if this was standard sort of thing they do or just bad deals. the guys I know who purchased f150's have regularly gotten 15-25% off the sticker price of there're new purchases from ford. when you can get an f150 for 40k is it worth it paying 57k for a tacoma?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:07 PM

We’ve driven 5 new Toyota’s, all from dealerships in Calgary. We bought 1, leased 1, leased and bought 2 and wrote one off in an accident. There wasn’t a lot of wiggle room but we did ok. Prices were always less the the online list price. They were pretty generous with the little things - rubber floor mats, emergency kits, cargo nets, upgraded tires at no cost. When we leased the second one they waived the first 4 payments because we were repeat customers. Do your homework, know what you want and know your bottom line and you’ll do fine.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 PM

This is a good time of year to buy, especially if you're willing to take a 2019 rather than a 2020. The selection may be limited, but you might luck out and find what you're looking for.

I concur with what people are saying about Sherwood Park Toyota. Three Toyotas in our family were purchased there. Pricing was better than the Calgary dealers. Worth the trip.

In this economy it's hard to believe that there are dealers who are not willing to deal.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
this is more what I was hearing from the 2 guys I know they said there wasn't any discounts on the truck but they ended up getting some dealer installed options for free. i was hoping to find out if this was standard sort of thing they do or just bad deals. the guys I know who purchased f150's have regularly gotten 15-25% off the sticker price of there're new purchases from ford. when you can get an f150 for 40k is it worth it paying 57k for a tacoma?
I can't imagine paying $57k for a Tacoma. I paid a lot less than that with taxes in , on a TRD Offroad, with leather, folding box cover, remote start, and the floor liners, and the three year service package, and four years 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-20-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Bought 2. Paid full sticker for the first one and got then second one for fleet pricing. Paid the guy whatever he said the "fleet price" was.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:45 PM

They don't deal as much as Dodge that's for sure.

I wouldn't spend a nickel at the Wetaskiwin Dealership. It is owned by the worst human being I have ever met in my 52 years of life.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
They don't deal as much as Dodge that's for sure.

I wouldn't spend a nickel at the Wetaskiwin Dealership. It is owned by the worst human being I have ever met in my 52 years of life.
justin trudeau ?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 PM

Yah $ 57,000 is crazy for a taco. My first one I bought at Sherwood Park, 2014 crew cab TRD Sport , It was around $38,000. I use them for work, I drove it for 3 yrs put on 180,000 km. Went to Toyota on the trail and looked at a 2017 same truck gave them $ 20,000 and the 2014 and the deal was done. I was happy with that, oilfield trucks get a little beat up. Now is the time to get a deal on a 2019.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I bought my Tundra slightly used, at a GM dealer. The one Toyota dealer I talked too, tried the we don't negotiate thing on me so I walked.

They will come down in price if they want the sale. The trick is to have several other vehicles to look and a make sure they know it.
Then let them make the first offer.

No dealer wants to loose a sale to the guy down the street. Don't ask for a lower price, let them make an offer. If they don't, walk.

You have to be prepared to walk or they will try every trick in the book to get ever last dollar out of you.
Beware of hidden fees. If they can they will charge you a secretaries fee, a shop, fee a pre sale inspection fee, (that should have already been done, a bathroom fee, a roof fee and anything else they can think of.

I've had some dealers jack the list price up by several thousand dollars with nonsense fees. Now if they try that. I walk.

If they make the first offer they often drop all fees and sometimes even the GST.
If you make the first offer they will try to milk you dry.

Always be prepared to walk. I learned that again this week.
And to always get a clear final price, all fees included before committing to anything.

I walked away from one deal already this week.
It may cost me a $500.00 deposit but I am saving over $2,500.00 dollars on a reduced price and dropped fees.
And I get a better maintained lower milage truck in the process.

I learned two other things this week, run a registry check yourself before making any decisions and do a dealer rating check.

Dealer rating checks are free, registry checks through Alberta Registries cost just $16.75 through https://www.registrysearch.ca/Search.aspx?t=pp

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
justin trudeau ?
Worse
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Toyo aint GM or Dodge

I bought my Taco in 2006, CH toyota wanted retail, Henninger same, went to Stampede and they were willing to deal. Not a ton off but it made me feel like I got what I wanted. Bought the wife a Rav and same experience. For sure the domestics will give you a bigger "sale" price but I truly believe you get anything back on resale on the toyotas. Still have my 06 and love it!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Buy Honda RIGLINE SPORT
Old 11-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
Buy Honda RIGLINE SPORT
If you want a shadow of what a Toyota is capable of.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Worse
I've never known you to lie before. First time for everything I guess ...
Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 PM

I just bought a 2018 Tundra from Toyota Northwest in Edmonton. It was a lease return with 41000kms. They were eager to negotiate. I managed to negotiate almost $6k off their advertised price. The economy in Edmonton is so bad, they seemed to have no issues discounting.

I talked with the sales manager. I told him that their new location had tons of space to expand. The parking lot was only about 30% filled. He commented that no, they used to have it full of both new and used inventory. But since the fall 2018, they have been suffering. They have cut their new vehicle purchases from Toyota almost in half in the last year. They have laid off half of their sales staff. Their service area has seen a 50% drop off in work and most days, their mechanics are let go at or before noon.

It's a great time to buy a Toyota, at least in Edmonton. Probably most brands are at present. Thanks to Trudope, Alberta's economy is sputtering to say the least.

At least...it can't hurt to ask. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Buy a Gen 2 Tacoma Quad Cab in 6 speed Manual and it will go 500k with no issues. Hard to find...
Old 11-20-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
They are accepting a poor deal. Unless something has changed since I bought my Tundra 3 years ago, and a friend of a friend bought his 12-18 months back. I saved 5-6% on mine, the other guy did a little better.

I would recommend steering clear of Northwest Toyota at all costs. I've had several pretty jaw droppingly bad experiences there with all of sales, service, finance and managment. Mayfield Toyota has been much better.
Went in to Toyota Northwest Edmonton to look at a used 2016 Tacoma that I saw on their website. Did a lap of their showroom sat in a couple of 2019s, kicked some tires. Not a single salesman got off his ass and it was not a busy day. Not a single person even said hi.

Came in after work so I wasn't looking rich but I shouldn't have to wear a suit and tie to shop for a freakin' Toyota. It ain't a Lexus dealership.

Last edited by ssyd; 11-20-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:41 PM

Default Good deals are hard to find

Bought 2 in the last 14 months. First was a new Highlander (replacing our '12 writeoff), shopped all around Calgary found the best deal at Heninger (High River was a close second). They offered cash back if I financed so I did, paid it off after 6 months and picked up a cheque for more than a grand...not a lot of $$ difference but the sales guys were low pressure and available.

Recently got a 2007 FJ from Cochrane, sales gal was great...available but not pushy, very accommodating during my inspection. The clincher was the sales manager that called me before the test drive and said the vehicle had issues and would be auctioned out the back door. He was completely transparent with the problems and even sent me their cost sheet for the repairs. I said I'd be willing to take it as-is if he would adjust for repairs, after some chatting he knocked 7k off the list to cover their estimated repairs. I did the repairs myself for a fraction. Overall they treated me excellent and I'd definitely go back.

Canyon Creek was by far the worst, useless salesman, super high pressure sales manager...pretended to be my best friend until I started to negotiate...then his true colors came out.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:39 AM

I have a NDA with one Toyota dealership in Calgary. All I can say without getting in trouble is that was one of the most painful experience of my life. Put a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to buying a new car. Think when it’s time to buy a new taco I will try a broker. Canyon creek gave me what seemed to be a good deal but I bailed when the salesman tried to pull a fast one by putting the full trade-in price towards the purchase of a new truck. When I told him I still owed money on it he said he forgot about that. That was on the second run from the managers office BS. Made the monthly payments look great. That wasn’t the dealership with the NDA. What a nightmare the entire experience was and the truck hasn’t been the legendary Toyota reliability I thought I was getting. If it wasn’t for warranty I would be hurting bad. I got a buddy that sold Honda’s for 30 years or more but when I asked if he would come with me to perches my next truck he told me that he doesn’t want to have anything to do with that industry anymore. I can’t say I blame him. The only reason I was thinking of buying a new truck was because after owning this one I am very nervous about owning a vehicle with no warranty.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 11-21-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I’ve been thinking about buying a Tacoma to replace my old car. I’ve talked to a few guys who have purchased new at Toyota dealerships and most of them haven’t had any luck negotiating a price much less than the sticker price. I’ve never paid sticker price for a vehicle and I never will. Is this standard with Toyota dealers or are these guys just accepting a poor deal. What have you guys experienced.

If you want a deal of sticker make em test drive you a number of rigs (then their invested) and don't just be prepared to walk-walk (it truly is a game). They will call you back, figure on a couple of weeks and go to other Toyota dealers for backups.

Tell them your shopping around last new Taco purchase they came down 6.5k (Southpointe when the new year where in short supply) and I had a backup with High River.

Most diva dealerships (& most expensive) where Cochrane and Charlesglen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-21-2019, 07:40 AM

I bought a used 2009 TRD with 50,000 on it back in 2013 from Stampede Toyota in Calgary. I think it cost me 25K. Definitely a lot better than emptying your wallet for a new one. Personally I prefer the older ones anyways, before they changed the engines in 2014.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Negotiations on price with anything you have to be willing to walk away. Vehicles can be brutal how much the price can vary. Best thing to do is phone every dealer you can and see what they tell you price wise for starters. Sometimes it’s cheaper to by from a dealer and have them deliver it even

When my wife bought her Tundra a few years ago in BC it was 14k difference in price from Abbotsford to Prince George. I swear some dealers rely on the fact most don’t travel over 2hrs to buy a vehicle. Shop around for price even if it means getting it delivered from the other end of Alberta