Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 01:21 AM

Default Jeep patriot

My daughter is looking at a 2009 patriot...
Manual T, any one have any experience with the patriot?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2019, 01:43 AM

Wickedly unstable on icy roads, even in 4x4.Drove one from GP to Prince George 3 winters ago. Would not drive it back, took a Toyota Camry instead, far better on the same icy roads. I have a lot of experience driving on really bad roads but I have never driven anything as twitchy as that thing was. Had full winter tires, less than 10K on the odometer and was fine on dry road. As soon as it got slippery or rutted, whole new beast.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:37 AM

Don’t do it. Compass, patriot and liberty are the worst vehicles made by Jeep. Problems will start to pop up in a year or two. That’s been my wife’s experience
Old 11-19-2019, 06:51 AM
Banned

You would do much better with a Sorento, Rav4 or Santa Fe in that class.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage3006 View Post
You would do much better with a Sorento, Rav4 or Santa Fe in that class.
Yes, and the CRV
Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Yes stay away from Jeep. CRV gets my vote, unfortunately even used ones go for a premium price.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Yes stay away from Jeep. CRV gets my vote, unfortunately even used ones go for a premium price.
I've been looking at them as well, very common at the auction. I have a Grand Cherokee and the gas mileage is horrid. Drove a Liberty as a rental car, with the 4 cylinder engine, which got me interested, seemed like a good vehicle ?

Grizz
Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 AM

I would not recommend it unless you good with mechanical repairs.

My wife has a 2008 Patriot (North Edition, I believe). She is the only driver and is very conservative with her driving. Only city driving and no off roading.

I had to replace the whole front end a couple of years ago; macpherson struts, front wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, drive axles, etc.

The transmission does not have a dipstick and you have to go to the dealer to have it checked - ridiculous!

Last month, I replaced a rear wheel bearing, and rear brakes and rotors. Am a bit concerned about the rear differential.

The sunroof won't open anymore, water leaked into the dome light/sunroof switch.

Also, has heavy rusting around the rear wheel wells.

I have worked on a lot of vehicles over the years and the Patriot is by far the worst that I have seen.

Do a search for problems with the Patriots before you decide to buy.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Not a great vehicle at all just like everyone here mentioned. My fiancé had one I replaced the rear end and rear struts with under 100,000km on it. It also had the loudest road noise in the cab I’ve experienced made riding in it non enjoyable at all. It was a happy day when she sold it.

Better vehicles out there for her buck.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Honest question...
Are people really that upset (or surprised) that they have to replace things on a 10yr old vehicle?

While I agree, I wouldn't get a patriot, I find it odd that people don't expect maintenance after 10+years (yes, struts/wheel bearings/brakes are regular wear items). Now if it was within the first 3 years of ownership, sure I'd be ****ed, but really?
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Horrible. First gens were based on the Calibre platform, later ones on the Fiat Panda. Both are hot garbage. I would avoid like the plague. Better off going Honda CR-V or Toyota Rav-4. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've been looking at them as well, very common at the auction. I have a Grand Cherokee and the gas mileage is horrid. Drove a Liberty as a rental car, with the 4 cylinder engine, which got me interested, seemed like a good vehicle ?

Grizz
Not sure what year (or trim) you have, but I always ask for Jeep GC's when renting because they are way better MPG than other similar (and smaller) suv's. The GC is the only jeep I would get, but no proper 3rd row, aside from a gladiator, damn those are nice.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 AM

To each their own, but I wouldn’t touch any Jeep. Even the grand Cherokee’s are .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 09:47 AM

They look cheap, feel cheap, can be bought for cheap, and are, well, cheap.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

If she has her mind set on Jeep, I would suggest the 4 door or 2 door Wrangler. Still a decently built vehicle that lasts well and isn't overly expensive to fix. Also, doesn't require a lot of fixing if used as a daily driver. Has 2 of the 2 doors, used off road lots, stood up real well and they were way lighter than my Landcruisers were.

That said, I am with the other guys. For a small SUV I would pick, Rav4, Lexus RX 350 (surprisingly good prices on one or two year old ones still under warranty), CRV, even Hyundai or Nissan is a better choice than the Liberty, Patriot line. Like I said above, never owned a Liberty long term but one trip on bad roads told me all I needed to know.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM

I have owned 2 jeeps now . One TJ , and now one Patriot . I made sure that i got the true 4x4 in the patriot. Both jeeps have been great .As far as the patriot I do take the stabilizer control off when the roads are icy , but other than that it has been a great commuter vehicle . Yes it is not fancy and does not have a lot of options , it is a base model . Easy to work on other than no transmission dipstick . Same as all vehicles , do your maintenance and they last . My TJ had over 400,000 km on the original clutch . Do i expect that from the patriot - no , but you can never tell . Its not a off roader but as far as an economical 4x4 commuter vehicle it stands up . I have over 190,000 km on it so far , and only routine maintenance
Old 11-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Banned

Raced Formula Ford and road rallied in the 70's.
A friend of mine had a Patriot. One of the few cars that in winter I'd be white knuckling the grab handles when I was a passenger.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:45 PM

My sister had a 2007 Liberty, the constant installing of replacement
window motors was such a let down. (plastic stripped gear issues)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 PM

Thumbs down Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post

To each their own, but I wouldn’t touch any Jeep. Even the grand Cherokee’s are .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post

They look cheap, feel cheap, can be bought for cheap, and are, well, cheap.

What they 👆 said.

And Consumer Reports agrees ❗

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 11-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:24 PM

The first two vehicles I ever owned were jeeps.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Old 11-19-2019, 03:20 PM

I own a 2014 Patriot and am happy with it, good mileage and haven't had issues with multiple repairs beyond regular maintenance.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Hot garbage.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:36 PM

It's a forum, so asking questions is what we do. The answers are clear on this one for sure. All I would add is that any time I have ever ignored what Consumer Reports has said concerning vehicles, it did not end well for me.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:52 PM

Co-worker sold one recently, I think it was maybe 5 maybe 6 years old. He had nothing but problems with it. Some minor but annoying, like the fuel gauge not working or heater not blowing, but he also has issues with transmission and some very expensive fuel problems to fix and was fighting with warranty (I think it just cleared mileage for warranty coverage) and a like mile down the road the problems started, lol.

I guess it's not funny, he sold it and got nothing for it and sunk far too much money fixing a pretty new vehicle. It was a lemon.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Thank you

A big thanks to you guys...she read all the information you provided, and now is past that "jeep thing"
Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottik9 View Post
A big thanks to you guys...she read all the information you provided, and now is past that "jeep thing"
The girlfriend loves her 2011 Sorento. Effortless to drive and with winter tires feels great on icy highways. One thing I like on it that few AWD SUVs have is a lockout to force it into AWD. It's not a true 4WD but it allows you to get full-time power to all four wheels.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
The girlfriend loves her 2011 Sorento. Effortless to drive and with winter tires feels great on icy highways. One thing I like on it that few AWD SUVs have is a lockout to force it into AWD. It's not a true 4WD but it allows you to get full-time power to all four wheels.
Be careful of the year of Sorrento. Early versions used vacuum to engage the front hubs and any low vacuum results in default 2 wd.
Unfortunately found that out when my buddy took me ice-fishing in his.

Last edited by omega50; 11-19-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottik9 View Post
Don’t rule out the value retaining JKs. I inventory the wreckers and Patriots are frequent. The grands are a royal waste, although the recent styling could be a plus.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Arrow ... This 👇

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

It's a forum, so asking questions is what we do. The answers are clear on this one for sure. All I would add is that any time I have ever ignored what Consumer Reports has said concerning vehicles, it did not end well for me.

It's amazing how many people don't know about 'Consumer Reports', or how valuable it is. I've been a CR member for over 20 years now.

Some details on CR, and how it works 👉 https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...e-do/index.htm

Selkirk
Old 11-20-2019, 11:37 AM

My go to is carsurvey.org