Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired for his comments on Poppies ?
Yes 64 10.05%
No 573 89.95%
Voters: 637. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
That's the whole point. How did Cherry know that all of these many, many people he's seeing walking down the street without poppies, are immigrants? They don't wear "new to Canada" signs, so what would you imagine the visual indicator to be that's leading his brain toward that assumption?

You misunderstand my position. On a scale from 1-10 on 'bothered by Cherry's comments', I'm at a 1. He's just one of a million old coots, not all that bright, stuck in a 1950's mindset. I don't value his opinion, nor is it surprising. What someone like that says and thinks shouldn't upset anyone. But you can disagree with someone without being outraged by them.
I answered your question above. As for your second point, great. I agree. I didn’t really care about what don said until that twit from the social wasn’t fired and once again there is two separate standards.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
“Them” is all nations. See all nations have warred with another at some point causing hate. When Germans moved to Canada after WW2 and were mistreated because Canadians are natural Xenophobes. I see now. Shall Justin write a cheque for Canadians wronging then too? Xenophobia is a joke. Every nation has another they dislike. In school, I hung out with certain people. Some of the other cliques didn’t like my clique. I didn’t like there’s. That’s not xenophobia; it’s human nature. And using a sports analogy is perfectly acceptable. You don’t have to like and accept everyone on earth. If we didn’t like each other in person it’s not because of the dreaded xenophobia.

Don very well could have seen a large group of Russians not wearing poppies speaking Russian as he could have seen a colour of skin that you are reaching for. He could very well know the demographics and seen people not speaking English and figured they had recently immigrated. Was he wrong? If it’s his observation it’s not wrong. Were you downtown Toronto to witness what he witnessed. I wasn’t. I’ll take his for it.

To bring my point home, you tried to find some sort of outrage because I used the word “them”. I really don’t like you people. Having never met you, what am I referring to as you people?
I wasn't looking to be outraged. Im actively trying to help you understand why his comments are a bad thing.

The first paragraph about is rambling nonsense. So far you compared hating a football team, and a clique hating your clique to xenophobia. I am unsure if you just don't understand the term or you are being willfully ignorant. Either way. None of the things you described are xenophobic.

In your world, hatred is human nature. Thats a little depressing.

As for what Don was doing or seeing, you are doing some impressive mental gymnastics here and yet, still not making sense.

I don't think you'll ever get this and thats sad, but a fact of life. I feel neither of us are going to change our minds.

Have a good evening!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers View Post
I wasn't looking to be outraged. Im actively trying to help you understand why his comments are a bad thing.

The first paragraph about is rambling nonsense. So far you compared hating a football team, and a clique hating your clique to xenophobia. I am unsure if you just don't understand the term or you are being willfully ignorant. Either way. None of the things you described are xenophobic.

In your world, hatred is human nature. Thats a little depressing.

As for what Don was doing or seeing, you are doing some impressive mental gymnastics here and yet, still not making sense.

I don't think you'll ever get this and thats sad, but a fact of life. I feel neither of us are going to change our minds.

Have a good evening!
You don’t have to help me understand his comments. I heard him, and I don’t think he said anything wrong. He could’ve definitely conveyed his thoughts better but that has never been dons strong suit.

Please tell me what xenophobia is? As far as I’m concerned it’s a construct of stupidity. It’s a way to try to engineer thought. There has been hatred as long as man has walked this earth and it remains today. I’m sorry you’re depressed about that natural fact. I’m saying the act of hating another football team, or social clique is no different than say a polak immigrant disliking a Russian that recently immigrated to Canada. The only difference is we have made it socially unacceptable by constructing a new “ism” for all of us to fear. Go to a school where many different former African students attend. You’ll see what I mean.

As for mental gymnastics, explain how dons observations are worthy of outrage when that twit from the social made much more hurtful statements but yet is excused.

It’s not sad, I get what you’re trying to engineer me to see. I won’t concede to your way of thinking. It’s backwards in my opinion. I find it worrisome that you are sad because I don’t see the world as you expect all others to.

I do agree we won’t see eye to eye. Well maybe when you get a few gray hairs we may.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I have never been a Don Cherry fan. But I don't get why he was fired.

I mean everyone knows he runs his mouth. It's the very reason he had the job that he did.

To me it's clear, the man is not a racist, he just doesn't care one whit about political correctness.

This danged political correctness has everyone walking on egg shells. It no longer matters what your intent is, now it's all about did you use the exact proper words. That's total nonsense.

Where is the rule book on what one can say in what context? Fact is no such thing exists and that leaves it to left wing zealots to define for us all what we can and can not say.

I for one have no desire to live by their rules. Give Don his job back.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Banned

Yes, yes, yes, yes... a thousand times yes!
Old 11-17-2019, 10:21 PM

So, all YOU PEOPLE calling for the hag on CTV to be fired for her comments, you must agree with Don being fired then? Right?
Either you think people should be fired for what they say on TV or not. You can't just give the guy you like a pass. That isn't how it works.

I don't think either of them deserve to be fired but I highly suspect Don wasn't fired over this single issue. He's been treading water and walking a fine line for a long time now and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm just rather disgusted with him appearing on Fox "news" lapping up all the praise and outrage from the douchebag Tucker Carlson.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
So, all YOU PEOPLE calling for the hag on CTV to be fired for her comments, you must agree with Don being fired then? Right?
Either you think people should be fired for what they say on TV or not. You can't just give the guy you like a pass. That isn't how it works.

I don't think either of them deserve to be fired but I highly suspect Don wasn't fired over this single issue. He's been treading water and walking a fine line for a long time now and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm just rather disgusted with him appearing on Fox "news" lapping up all the praise and outrage from the douchebag Tucker Carlson.
I’m not sure if the first paragraph was pointed at me; regardless yes I am for both or neither to be fired. That has been my point. There shouldn’t be two sets of standards.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Nope....just a chance to come back and explain himself instead of that dribble from Ron.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Don very well could have seen a large group of Russians not wearing poppies speaking Russian as he could have seen a colour of skin that you are reaching for. He could very well know the demographics and seen people not speaking English and figured they had recently immigrated. Was he wrong? If it’s his observation it’s not wrong. Were you downtown Toronto to witness what he witnessed. I wasn’t. I’ll take his word for it.
That is one heck of a reach.

"I live in Mississauga, nobody wears — very few people wear a poppy. Downtown Toronto, forget it! Downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy."

So he walked by a single large group of Russian immigrants and then goes on to say that he's witnessed 'very few people' in city 1 wearing a poppy, and 'nobody' in city 2? How does that add up?

Supposing for a minute that it did make some sense for him to observe a single group of people and then create the worlds biggest exaggeration by saying that 'nobody wears poppies'...Why would he assume that people speaking a foreign language must be new immigrants?

I work with several people who speak Chinese to each other regularly, they were all either born here or have been in Canada for 20-30+ years.

How did he even know the Russians live in Canada? Might they not have been tourists?

I get that you're probably playing the devil's advocate here to some degree, but it's really not very plausible. You seem under the impression that the race thing is something I jumped to and am alone in; by no means is that the case. I think it's pretty widely accepted that that's where he was coming from. It's not because everyone wants something to be upset about (although I'm sure there's some of that, there always is) but because it's about the only thing that makes any sense.

For The Win, USA Today
Don Cherry's racist rant about immigrants should be his last

Interviewee on Global
The “racism and the microaggression” of Cherry’s statements, she said, could incite an anti-immigrant sentiment.

Toronto Sports Media
The speech clearly contrasts “new” Canadians with “good” Canadians, and is for that reason rightly being denounced as racist.

As it Happens interview
CO: And, of course, just to remind people in case they’ve not heard it already, but that it involved people who don't wear poppies that he accused of being, he said that you said that you people love our way of life. You love our milk and honey. The least you can do is pay a couple bucks for a poppy. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price. Any doubt in your mind as to who you people is referring to?

SS: No, because he also juxtaposed that with talking about him seeing very few people wearing poppies in downtown Toronto and in Mississauga, where he lives. Toronto is very diverse — as is Mississauga — so I don't think there was any question about what he was trying to say.

CO: Not just that the remark is racist, it's just factually inaccurate. When it comes to service and sacrifice, there are people, not only immigrants in Canada who have been in wars since the Great War to Afghanistan, but also people from other countries who have made enormous sacrifices. What's the reality there?

Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 11-18-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:

I get that you're probably playing the devil's advocate here to some degree, but it's really not very plausible. You seem under the impression that the race thing is something I jumped to and am alone in; by no means is that the case. I think it's pretty widely accepted that that's where he was coming from. It's not because everyone wants something to be upset about (although I'm sure there's some of that, there always is) but because it's about the only thing that makes any sense.
[/SIZE][/I]

Quote:
That is one heck of a reach.

You seem under the impression that the race thing is something I jumped to and am alone in; by no means is that the case. I think it's pretty widely accepted that that's where he was coming from. It's not because everyone wants something to be upset about (although I'm sure there's some of that, there always is) but because it's about the only thing that makes any sense.
[/SIZE][/I]
It’s only widely accepted if your on that side of the fence. Cherry has been using the term “ you people “ for over 35 years in many of his commentary’s. People who have not watched Cherry regularly for the last 35 years “ JUMPED “ at the opportunity to slam him with IMO their uneducated points of view on a man that many knew nothing about. They and you paint him as a racist which could not be farther from the truth. He is a patriot not a racist.

Canada’s armed forces has a history and it needs to be remembered and honoured always as to prevent history repeating itself. Remembrance Day is one way we have set aside time to reflect on the men and woman who serve and those who we lost. Anyone who promotes that and calls out those who don’t take the time to is A ok in my book.

Like it or not Cherry is, always has been and always will be a great Canadian. He does and has always had a great passion for our Canadian Troops and has always used Coaches Corner as a platform to raise recognition for our fallen and serving men and women from the armed forces. With the firing and witch hunt that ensued following Cherries comments we lost a great platform, advocate, and voice for those who have and continue to serve.

As for other other countries and immigrants that served in wars under other countries that’s great good on them. But Remembrance Day is Canada’s way of honouring Canadian soldiers and their contributions. If your in Canada respect that. One major way to respect that is buy spending a couple a bucks on a poppy for crying out loud.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
As for other other countries and immigrants that served in wars under other countries that’s great good on them.
And that’s where I actually get offended and tell you to go **** yourself.

This is the first post that actually made me... jumpy. I am going to punch out at this point. Roughly double the population of Canada at the WW2 times disappeared from this planet in a stretch of five or so years where I come from. What a ridiculous comment.

Also, read up on Remembrance Day. Ain’t exactly a Canadian tradition. Weird that I as an immigrant have to tell you about it.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

The poll has spoken

Don for King....keep this country on its toe's

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
And that’s where I actually get offended and tell you to go **** yourself.

This is the first post that actually made me... jumpy. I am going to punch out at this point. Roughly double the population of Canada at the WW2 times disappeared from this planet in a stretch of five or so years where I come from. What a ridiculous comment.

Also, read up on Remembrance Day. Ain’t exactly a Canadian tradition. Weird that I as an immigrant have to tell you about it.
Sorry your offended but I’m not surprised. I am very well aware of both of your points and agree with both of them. But I’m sorry Remembrance Day in “ Canada “ is about Men and women who served under Canada not other countries. Do we recognize other countries contributions. Absolutely. But the main focus is the CANADIAN ARMED FORCES DUE TO THE FACT THAT WE, YOU INCLUDED ARE IN CANADA !!! Other countries have their days to celebrate their armed forces and I don’t get offended go online and bitch about them not including my grandfather in their day. Get over yourself. It’s about the Canadian forces, their day of recognition by Canadians. If your offended to bad.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM

I thought today that when I read your post yesterday, I may have misunderstood and you didn’t mean any disrespect and wanted to apologize if I misread it. Having read it again and the post above, I don’t think I did.

I am Canadian and only Canadian, I don’t have any other passports or desire to get them, though I could get 3 more if I chose to. I know very well who fought for me to be here. I never said that anyone should include my grandfathers in anything, nothing to be offended about here. To say, however, cool and good for them, is disrespectful. Sorry if you don’t see it that way. Also, it sounds like you are the one who needs to get over himself, I am not the one complaining in this or the other thread.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It’s only widely accepted if your on that side of the fence. Cherry has been using the term “ you people “ for over 35 years in many of his commentary’s. People who have not watched Cherry regularly for the last 35 years “ JUMPED “ at the opportunity to slam him with IMO their uneducated points of view on a man that many knew nothing about. They and you paint him as a racist which could not be farther from the truth. He is a patriot not a racist.
- I haven't, to my recollection, brought up his "you people" comment. For me personally, that was a very small part of it. People get too upset by the words "you people".

- I have watched a ton of Don Cherry over the last 35 years. I'm pretty far from new to him. He's a racist.

Quote:
Canada’s armed forces has a history and it needs to be remembered and honoured always as to prevent history repeating itself. Remembrance Day is one way we have set aside time to reflect on the men and woman who serve and those who we lost. Anyone who promotes that and calls out those who don’t take the time to is A ok in my book.
That's never been the issue here. At all. No one is saying 'Don is wrong for supporting the poppy' or 'Remembrance Day isn't worth my time'.

Quote:
Like it or not Cherry is, always has been and always will be a great Canadian.
Neither here nor there. Unless you're trying to say it makes him infallible.

Quote:
He does and has always had a great passion for our Canadian Troops and has always used Coaches Corner as a platform to raise recognition for our fallen and serving men and women from the armed forces.
I agree. Always appreciated his passion. We could use more of that.

Quote:
With the firing and witch hunt that ensued following Cherries comments we lost a great platform, advocate, and voice for those who have and continue to serve.
I don't think he should have been fired, but preaching ignorant prejudices is no way to bring awareness and appreciation to a good cause. There's no need to cloud the issue with that stuff, it just takes away from the message.

Quote:
As for other other countries and immigrants that served in wars under other countries that’s great good on them. But Remembrance Day is Canada’s way of honouring Canadian soldiers and their contributions. If your in Canada respect that. One major way to respect that is buy spending a couple a bucks on a poppy for crying out loud.
Who is disagreeing with that, though? No one wanted Cherry fired because he thinks people should wear poppies. If he had left it at that and even just chastised the "everyone" he kept talking about for not wearing them, it'd have been fine.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Nope. Not a racist. A patriot. A bigot maybe. Probably. But most certainly not a racist. You need to think before slandering a man like that. Not cool. He has no issues with anyone’s race at all.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 PM

I'm pretty sure this is lining up to be the first thread on A.O. to see the phrase "ok boomer".
So many youngsters on here that have very little life experience, but have enough butt-hurt answers to start a snowflake storm.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Nope. Not a racist. A patriot. A bigot maybe. Probably. But most certainly not a racist. You need to think before slandering a man like that. Not cool. He has no issues with anyone’s race at all.
Racism takes on different forms. No one thinks he's Hitler. The term doesn't require that you hate people of another race or hold the belief that one is superior to another. It's an ugly word with a definition that is far too broad, and it's a poor one to have used in this context. I shouldn't have. It's muddied the waters. That said, he identified people by race and then made a preconceived opinion of them which was not based on reason or experience; in my book that's an example of racism. It doesn't make him a white supremacist.

I truly do not give two hoots about Cherry, his beliefs don't affect me one way or the other. It's the hypocritical talk from some in this thread who, as a past time, seem to enjoy ganging up on and bullying the opinions of others. Calling people weak to try and make themselves feel strong. Call Don's words racist, prejudiced, xenophobic or bigoted, it really doesn't matter. Point is, if you believe that Don is important to have on TV in large part because you feel his messages of support for the troops are important, then you cannot chastise the "snowflakes" for being against his messages of prejudice. He's either a messenger or he's not. You can't have it both ways.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 PM

wow stick and stones will break your bones but names will never hunt you. More PEOPLE would been so much farther ahead if they would live by these words sad to see PEOPLE getting so soft
Old 11-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Racism takes on different forms. No one thinks he's Hitler. The term doesn't require that you hate people of another race or hold the belief that one is superior to another. It's an ugly word with a definition that is far too broad, and it's a poor one to have used in this context. I shouldn't have. It's muddied the waters. That said, he identified people by race and then made a preconceived opinion of them which was not based on reason or experience; in my book that's an example of racism. It doesn't make him a white supremacist.[/U]
Are you for real? I’m sorry to tell you this, but to be a racist yes you must hate other races, or that you feel superior to them. Absolutely that is what it means. It does not have broad meanings; I don’t care what your books think. I don’t care if you think a racist is somebody that uses cinnamon toothpaste; that isn’t racism. Racism is the hatred or a belief of superiority over other races; not somebody who holds a different opinion than you. In snowflake arguments you might win an arguement by being the first to shout hitler or racist but it’s not gonna fly here.

Also, once again, Don Cherry never once pointed out issues with people of a different race. If he did, please point it out in what he said. It’s not racist because in your book it is. Also, who says he isn’t speaking from his own experiences and reason? Were you walking the streets of Toronto with him?

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-21-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Are you for real? I’m sorry to tell you this, but to be a racist yes you must hate other races, or that you feel superior to them. Absolutely that is what it means. It does not have broad meanings; I don’t care what your books think. I don’t care if you think a racist is somebody that uses cinnamon toothpaste; that isn’t racism. Racism is the hatred or a belief of superiority over other races; not somebody who holds a different opinion than you. In snowflake arguments you might win an arguement by being the first to shout hitler or racist but it’s not gonna fly here.
The dictionary disagrees, take it up with them.

rac·ist
noun
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Quote:
Also, once again, Don Cherry never once pointed out issues with people of a different race. If he did, please point it out in what he said. It’s not racist because in your book it is. Also, who says he isn’t speaking from his own experiences and reason? Were you walking the streets of Toronto with him?
I've explained this several times and have no desire to keep on beating that horse. If you want to close your eyes, plug your ears and believe Saint Don walked the streets of Toronto interviewing large numbers of people without poppies, good on ya.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
The dictionary disagrees, take it up with them.

rac·ist
noun
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

I've explained this several times and have no desire to keep on beating that horse. If you want to close your eyes and plug your ears so that you can believe Saint Don walked the streets of Toronto interviewing large numbers of people without poppies, good on ya.
Your definition is almost exactly what I said word for word. You are the one that was trying to say there are several different meanings of racism. Keep digging that hole though.

Also, I have said I wasn’t there with him several times. Were you? Are these not possibly his observations? Where are dons racist comments you have mentioned and I have asked for on several occasions? However, now that you have provided a definition of racism it’s going to be hard to find that racism, because now we agree that racism isn’t something you can just relate to because the wind is out of the east.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Your definition is almost exactly what I said word for word. You are the one that was trying to say there are several different meanings of racism. Keep digging that hole though.

Also, I have said I wasn’t there with him several times. Were you? Are these not possibly his observations? Where are dons racist comments you have mentioned and I have asked for on several occasions?
Are you kidding? In what world does this:

Quote:
I’m sorry to tell you this, but to be a racist yes you must hate other races, or that you feel superior to them. Absolutely that is what it means. It does not have broad meanings; I don’t care what your books think. I don’t care if you think a racist is somebody that uses cinnamon toothpaste; that isn’t racism. Racism is the hatred or a belief of superiority over other races
Equal this?

rac·ist
noun

Your definition, and you're good enough to say it multiple times so there's no room for misinterpretation here, is that you MUST HATE OR FEEL SUPERIOR TO. Read the definition I posted again. "Shows or feels prejudice against people of other races". Do you not know what the word prejudice means?

Do I have to keep doing this for you?

prej·u·dice
noun
preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

In other words: shows or feels a preconceived opinion towards another race which is not based on reason or experience. In your mind, that is the same as saying "must hate or feel superior to a race"??

We've come off the rails here and it's no longer a debate, so I'm gonna step out of this thread. Cheers.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? In what world does this:

Equal this?

rac·ist
noun

Your definition, and you're good enough to say it multiple times so there's no room for misinterpretation here, is that you MUST HATE OR FEEL SUPERIOR TO. Read the definition I posted again. "Shows or feels prejudice against people of other races". Do you not know what the word prejudice means?

Do I have to keep doing this for you?

prej·u·dice
noun
preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

In other words: shows or feels a preconceived opinion towards another race which is not based on reason or experience. In your mind, that is the same as saying "must hate or feel superior to a race"??

We've come off the rails here and it's no longer a debate, so I'm gonna step out of this thread. Cheers.
Hahahahahahaha. Nice try. I quoted you saying that racism is a broad meaning that could be based on opinion. I said that racism is the hate of or belief of superiority over another race. Which is basically the definition you provided. I called out your BS and now you’re trying to hide your nonsense with a bunch of deflection. It would be best that you step out. Come talk to me once you’ve paid some taxes for at least a year. My definition is based on my words not a google search. Taking my version and the version of yours I originally quoted; who’s is almost identical?

Also you are trying to muddy my two points into some definition that once again you are trying to massage into broad strokes. I asked what don said was racist? Nothing more. You also state he speaks without reason or experience. I asked you if his walk downtown Toronto may have allowed him to reason an opinion based on his observation? Then you deflect and try to baffle me with BS. As you stated, it’s not a debate, it’s you trying to confuse others. Cheers.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Hahahahahahaha. Nice try. I quoted you saying that racism is a broad meaning that could be based on opinion.
Haha. Read er again, champ, I have full confidence you can get there.

Did the 'opinion' part you're talking about look familiar at all...? It's the direct definition of prejudice that I posted.
Quote:
"That said, he identified people by race and then made a preconceived opinion of them which was not based on reason or experience"
Prejudice, as you've just learned, is in the definition of racism. So that's how that came together. That you do not like the word "opinion" in there is not something I can help you with, I didn't write the definition.

As for the bit you don't like regarding the 'broad meaning', I think that ought to speak for itself? If the definition states that racism can mean anything from "a preconceived opinion" (prejudice) to "hatred or superiority"...wouldn't you say that's a pretty wide range?

All right, that really is all I can do in the way of clarifications and the Oiler game is about to start, so I'm out.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Banned

Old 11-21-2019, 08:43 PM

A bunch of People who come to Canada and don’t wear poppies is not a race. Therefore how can you be racist or have feelings of racism or superiority to a bunch of people who don’t were poppies. Like I said before a bigot probably. But not a racist.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Haha. Read er again, champ, I have full confidence you can get there.

Did the 'opinion' part you're talking about look familiar at all...? It's the direct definition of prejudice that I posted.

Prejudice, as you've just learned, is in the definition of racism. So that's how that came together. That you do not like the word "opinion" in there is not something I can help you with, I didn't write the definition.

As for the bit you don't like regarding the 'broad meaning', I think that ought to speak for itself? If the definition states that racism can mean anything from "a preconceived opinion" (prejudice) to "hatred or superiority"...wouldn't you say that's a pretty wide range?

All right, that really is all I can do in the way of clarifications and the Oiler game is about to start, so I'm out.
Prejudice is a part of racism, prejudice does not define racism. Somebody can be prejudiced without being racist. I can be prejudiced against Savage rifles (actually lets make that browning to avoid confusion). I can be prejudiced against browning rifles that does not indicate I’m racist.

This all started with you talking about all these broad sweeping versions of racism. I put down my own words which was about 95% of what your googled search found as a definition. I pointed out your nonsense. Admit you were wrong and didn’t understand what racism is.

Don Cherry may have rocked your fragile world but he never said anything racist. I’ve said it how many times, where is the racist comment? Point it out, and I’ll yield about him being racist. Elk eater is saying the same thing.

Anything you don’t agree with isn't racism. If I say raspberry jam is better than strawberry jam it’s not racism even if you disagree with that.

If don cherry was racist he would have said, “why don’t I ever see those damned (insert race of your choice here. FYI immigrant is not a race) wearing a poppy like us.”

If you want to continue to debate that you don’t understand what racism is; I can quote your original post where you spew BS about what you feel racism is.

If you want to prove that don cherry is a racist show me where he said something racist.

If you want to do neither it would be best.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 PM

Wait ?!? I’m confused so now he’s prejudice against people who come to Canada and don’t wear poppies. Hmmmm still not racist.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Prejudice is a part of racism, prejudice does not define racism. Somebody can be prejudiced without being racist. I can be prejudiced against Savage rifles (actually lets make that browning to avoid confusion). I can be prejudiced against browning rifles that does not indicate I’m racist.
Yes. Obviously? At no time did I say prejudice and racism are the exact same thing. You can have the former without the latter. Please feel free to quote the part where I said "if you are prejudiced against anything at all it means you're a racist."
The part you're missing either completely oblivious to here, or are trying to deflect from in order to keep the 3 people reading this thread from thinking you're out to lunch, is that when you apply prejudice to a race, THAT is when it becomes a form of racism. You said multiple times that that isn't the case. 'Racism absolutely has to mean hate or superiority'. I've provided you with definitions and explanations as to why that isn't the case; you don't get to throw them out because you don't want to be wrong. There's no arguing this part, you said it.

Quote:
This all started with you talking about all these broad sweeping versions of racism. I put down my own words which was about 95% of what your googled search found as a definition. I pointed out your nonsense. Admit you were wrong and didn’t understand what racism is.
Addressed above.
In no world did your definition match the actual one to 95%. It was 50%. You seem to have missed the word "or" in the definition and it's a crucial part of all this. Prejudice OR hatred/superiority. You, again very clearly, are insisting it is only the latter. You don't get to pick and choose the parts of a definition that you like, dismiss the parts you don't, and then call yourself correct. Put your big boy underpants on, find a quiet space if you need to, and get your head around being wrong about something.

Instead, try saying that calling someone a racist shouldn't be done lightly because it could give an impression of hatred or superiority. That would be very valid.

Quote:
Don Cherry may have rocked your fragile world but he never said anything racist. I’ve said it how many times, where is the racist comment? Point it out, and I’ll yield about him being racist.
I've pointed this out many times, read back.

Quote:
Elk eater is saying the same thing.
Once again, you're seeing what you want to see and nothing else. I posted several excerpts from articles and interviews of people calling Cherry a racist. People feel that way because he identified immigrants by sight and then looped them all in together. Their opinions don't exist, but Elk eaters does because he agrees with you? Give your head a shake.

Quote:
Anything you don’t agree with isn't racism. If I say raspberry jam is better than strawberry jam it’s not racism even if you disagree with that.
Addressed above. And through posting the definitions for you. And then by breaking each definition down for you. I'll say it again to try and simplify things further..
Prejudice does not = racism.
Prejudice against a race does = racism.
Prejudice against a race does not necessarily = a hatred or belief in superiority towards that race.
A belief in hatred or superiority against a race does = racism.

A car is a vehicle. Not all vehicles are cars. Make sense?

Quote:
If don cherry was racist he would have said, “why don’t I ever see those damned (insert race of your choice here. FYI immigrant is not a race) wearing a poppy like us.”
If you want to continue to debate that you don’t understand what racism is; I can quote your original post where you spew BS about what you feel racism is.
If you want to prove that don cherry is a racist show me where he said something racist.
If you want to do neither it would be best.
Sincerely hoping that the above helps improve your understanding but if you need anything else just shout.