Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM

Default Ice Fishing Gear

Hey guys,

I used to be an avid fisherman but the last 10 years or so hunting has turned into a year around thing. I’m looking to get back into ice fishing next year. What is everyone using for good cold weather gear? Boots, bibs, jackets etc.. Any new and approved gadgets? Shacks, rods, tipups etc? Looks like the battery powered augers are the new must have.

Thanks for any info!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:14 PM

Both my enjoyment of ice fishing and my success rate when up immensely when I bought a flasher.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Hey guys,

I used to be an avid fisherman but the last 10 years or so hunting has turned into a year around thing. I’m looking to get back into ice fishing next year. What is everyone using for good cold weather gear? Boots, bibs, jackets etc.. Any new and approved gadgets? Shacks, rods, tipups etc? Looks like the battery powered augers are the new must have.

Thanks for any info!

Where do we start... ice fishing has gotten so advanced within 10 years.

Warmth then get either FXR floating, striker floating bib and jacket.
If it’s within your budget a flasher/sonar will help put fish on the ice. Camera tech hasn’t change alot. 1080 footage is the best they got. Which is sad. Probably another 10 years till they have underwater 4K cameras

If you want a good shack go insulated tent. If you just want to block wind a regular tent will be fine. Bama socks from marks work wear and your choice in boots. I use Baffin -100c boots. For tip ups many guys are using jaw jackers for smaller lures and bait, this unit sets the hook for you,
If you want to run big baits while allowing fish to run freely like a traditional tip up then check out the ifishpro. As for ice augers most guys are moving away from gas augers. Battery power augers is the new trend right now. Most common one recommended on the forum is strikemaster 40v ice auger. It’s solid and proven. Rods and reels haven’t changed much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-17-2021, 08:10 PM

You could check out this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=393424

Contrary to alot of folks on here, I have a fish finder, a tent, and a 10" auger and I dont really use any of them very much.

When its just me, I usually take my 8" auger and two rods. I have a homemade setup that will jig my rods in the wind and I alternate between fishing my lines, leaving them set, and drilling more holes.

When I go out with the kids I take some tipups too, and the tent, unless its windy we dont usually set it up though. Even they know the value in staying mobile.

For clothing I just wear a bunch of my other winter clothes in layers, boots are usually Dunlops but I do have a pair of warmer one that I take sometimes.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Contrary to alot of folks on here, I have a fish finder, a tent, and a 10" auger and I dont really use any of them very much.

When its just me, I usually take my 8" auger and two rods. I have a homemade setup that will jig my rods in the wind and I alternate between fishing my lines, leaving them set, and drilling more holes.

When I go out with the kids I take some tipups too, and the tent, unless its windy we dont usually set it up though. Even they know the value in staying mobile.

For clothing I just wear a bunch of my other winter clothes in layers, boots are usually Dunlops but I do have a pair of warmer one that I take sometimes.

True! If you’re a run and gun style fisherman you may not require all the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 PM

I keep it simple auger, tip up, rod, and a scoop. Spreading out and keeping mobile is how I catch fish

I own a tent and rarely use it unless it’s early season and bad weather. If possible my shelter is my truck because it’s warm and mobile
Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Same here. Mobile is the way to go. With good clothes and boots you can do full days on the ice. I was out in a windstorm today on Spray Lakes for 5 hours...
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 01-29-2021, 09:53 PM

It depends who you are fishing with. Wife and kids, your self or a group of friends. Most of the time I go with a group of friends. We set up a 6 x 12 tent , heater, chairs, BQ all the bells. We have 3 in the tent and the one friend likes to rover in his 1 man on skids tent. We use one rod each in the tent and use the tip ups as our rovers. If nice out the tent is home base to warm up and eat and you can do rover all you want. Friends bring their kids and they end up in tent asking why the sky is blue. Or you can sit in truck and use tip ups or rod holders and bell. Use coil rod holders drilled into the ice or say goodbye to your rod. For equipment it depends on what you doing. Hope that helps