Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 AM
Banned

Default Best available powder to fire form brass

Figured out the chamber in my rifle is about 15 thou deeper than new adg or lapua brass
So I need to bump these shoulders out, without over pressuring them and causing the major expansion I’ve been seeing at the webbing
It’s for my 300 Norma so I’d rather not use up, hard to find powders, primers, bullets and barrel life
Wondering what powder and charge would be best, that is available, to do the cow method
Old 01-26-2023, 09:03 AM

Back when the earth was flat, you know in the early 80's before the internet and google I had an old friend who was somewhat of a shooting enthusiast and I had to fire form a bunch of brass for my 7TCU and my 7BR, his instructions were short and sweet, drop down about 2 gr of powder from what your final load will be, load them up and pull the trigger, and Bob's your uncle it's done.

I am sure there should have been more to it but it worked, it was a painstaking process to make brass back then, no such thing as factory brass for those 2 rounds, I used a load that was about the middle of the spread loaded up a bullet and shot them.

I have never really worried about it with my rifles since, I figure the first time it's fired it's fire formed.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Figured out the chamber in my rifle is about 15 thou deeper than new adg or lapua brass
So I need to bump these shoulders out, without over pressuring them and causing the major expansion I’ve been seeing at the webbing
It’s for my 300 Norma so I’d rather not use up, hard to find powders, primers, bullets and barrel life
Wondering what powder and charge would be best, that is available, to do the cow method
Any shotgun type powder in the burn rate from Titewad to Green Dot will work, start at around 10 grains maybe add up to a couple grains if things aren’t blowing out sufficiently.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-26-2023, 09:22 AM

Default Powder

I think I used 12gr. Of Herco.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:35 AM
Banned

Cabelas has Tite group in stock
Old 01-26-2023, 09:35 AM

Try forming a false shoulder by running the necks over an 8mm expander, then into your die to size the neck and set the new false shoulder just a couple thousandths tight for your chamber. You want your bolt to close hard on the lengthened case. Just load your normal load and shoot.

I use this method to make 280 REM brass from 30-06 brass, moving the shoulder forward 0.100”. Moving the shoulder 0.015” will be a breeze. No wasted components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 968AE4A7-94EC-4E5A-8996-B959D07AFCA0.jpg (12.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by brewster29; 01-26-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Try forming a false shoulder by running the necks over an 8mm expander, then into your die to size the neck and set the new false shoulder just a couple thousandths tight for your chamber. You want your bolt to close hard on the lengthened case. Just load your normal load and shoot.

I use this method to make 280 REM brass from 30-06 brass, moving the shoulder forward 0.100”. Moving the shoulder 0.015” will be a breeze. No wasted components.
What I basically have is a head spacing variance, and I’m just trying to bump the shoulders out as gently as possible lol
Old 01-26-2023, 11:28 AM

Red dot is my go to for forming with cow, but any fast burning pistol/shotgun flake powder should work.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:

This is the best way as it moves the brass without causing stretch that promotes case separation.
The other way is to seat bullet that jams into the rifling and fire.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
This is the best way as it moves the brass without causing stretch that promotes case separation.
The other way is to seat bullet that jams into the rifling and fire.
I’ll have to see if I have a 8mm expander
Old 01-26-2023, 12:04 PM

Default Try this

Red Dot, when there was only rifle powder (3031) and shot gun powder, red dot, red dot was used for everything.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
What I basically have is a head spacing variance, and I’m just trying to bump the shoulders out as gently as possible lol
Pistol or shotgun powder likely won’t give you the desired result.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:37 PM

I’ve never worked with a 300 Norma but have formed plenty of brass with a firm false shoulder and normal loads like brewster suggests. Use the rounds for checking drops/ringing steel/whatever. It sets headspace perfectly and brass will last a long time.

A .338 mandrel will work as well and probably be easier to find than an 8mm. If you were close by I’d let you borrow a .338 mandrel as I have no use for it for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:09 PM

I've got over 2 lbs of IMR7828 that I bought off a member here, and upon opening the tins found out it had started to develop 'the dust'.

Some say it's fine, some say it won't burn at a consistent speed anymore. Either way, I won't be loading hunting or target loads with it so if you can use it for this, it's all yours.
Saves me from dumping it on the lawn.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:22 PM

We use Red Dot for fire forming 30-338 Lapua improved.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:42 PM

False shoulder and just use your regular powder. It’s the only way I’ve found to not get premature case head separation in just a few firings when fire forming brass for my ai.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
False shoulder and just use your regular powder. It’s the only way I’ve found to not get premature case head separation in just a few firings when fire forming brass for my ai.
If that is happening you ackley chamber was not cut properly .
Old 01-26-2023, 06:49 PM
Shooting Xs

Not sure this helps the OP, I fire form using 1-1.5 grains under the accuracy load with the bullets jammed for Ackley chambers.

A somewhat related question, thoughts on lightly lubing the case body to aid in forming, especially blowing the shoulder forward the amount the OP has mentioned?
Old 01-26-2023, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Not sure this helps the OP, I fire form using 1-1.5 grains under the accuracy load with the bullets jammed for Ackley chambers.

A somewhat related question, thoughts on lightly lubing the case body to aid in forming, especially blowing the shoulder forward the amount the OP has mentioned?
I’m leaning towards this
Or the false shoulder
I think the cream of wheat and no bullet won’t really address the issue I’m having. The case isn’t firmly held in the chamber and still going to have pressure going in multiple directions
Old 01-26-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
If that is happening you ackley chamber was not cut properly .
This I already know as well.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Red Dot, when there was only rifle powder (3031) and shot gun powder, red dot, red dot was used for everything.
Frank's red dot?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I’m leaning towards this
Or the false shoulder
I think the cream of wheat and no bullet won’t really address the issue I’m having. The case isn’t firmly held in the chamber and still going to have pressure going in multiple directions
I have blown out a couple hundred cases of 280 and made a lot of 340 Wby from 375 H& H using the false shoulder method. I find you can still get forward movement of the case sometimes if just seating long so the bullet jams into the lands.

Many (most?) of the wildcat cartridges have been formed this way.

The c-o-w method would also require a false shoulder- otherwise the ejector and firing pin will force the case in until the shoulder contacts the chamber and firing will not move the shoulder forward.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have blown out a couple hundred cases of 280 and made a lot of 340 Wby from 375 H& H using the false shoulder method. I find you can still get forward movement of the case sometimes if just seating long so the bullet jams into the lands.

Many (most?) of the wildcat cartridges have been formed this way.

The c-o-w method would also require a false shoulder- otherwise the ejector and firing pin will force the case in until the shoulder contacts the chamber and firing will not move the shoulder forward.
Makes sense
Old 01-26-2023, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
I’ve never worked with a 300 Norma but have formed plenty of brass with a firm false shoulder and normal loads like brewster suggests. Use the rounds for checking drops/ringing steel/whatever. It sets headspace perfectly and brass will last a long time.

A .338 mandrel will work as well and probably be easier to find than an 8mm. If you were close by I’d let you borrow a .338 mandrel as I have no use for it for the foreseeable future.
Thanks! I have a 338 one myself. Think I’ll give it a whirl and see how it goes
Old 01-27-2023, 06:29 AM

When I fireform Gibbs brass or Ackley brass, I make a false shoulder like Brewster mentioned, and I use Red dot powder, topped off with Cow and either white glue to hold it in, or a piece of toilet paper crammed into the neck to hold it together. I find that by firing this straight up in the air, it keeps my necks more square for some reason.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:39 AM

Fireforming brass with pistol powder works. But it will not consistently place the shoulders.

You guys creating false shoulders for forming AI brass need new chambers.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 01-27-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:59 PM

It’s not necessary for Ackley chambers. I just do it to save bullets and wear and time with loads I’m not interested in using.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
It’s not necessary for Ackley chambers. I just do it to save bullets and wear and time with loads I’m not interested in using.
A false shoulder?
Old 01-27-2023, 05:20 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
When I fireform Gibbs brass or Ackley brass, I make a false shoulder like Brewster mentioned, and I use Red dot powder, topped off with Cow and either white glue to hold it in, or a piece of toilet paper crammed into the neck to hold it together. I find that by firing this straight up in the air, it keeps my necks more square for some reason.
Have a couple buddies that use this method also.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:51 PM

i haven't done the false shoulder, but use 10 gr of unique and top with cow to the top. then i use the wax from babybel cheeze to cap the mouth and fire with gun vertical. i make sure the case is full right to the top of the mouth before the wax so it compresses the 'load'.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.