Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2023, 01:57 PM
Banned

I agree. The spa has given the 700 a bad rep.
The bdl, CDL, and the old adl were/are very good guns.
The sps quality control is non existent.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I would have looked at the rifle right off the bat when changing scopes didn't help.
It's not hard to determine an off axis bore in a rifle
Cat
If it’s not that hard to determine, how the heck did it pass QC? And how many other barrels left the line in the same condition.
I get that the sps is a cheap gun but ….
Remingtons quality was in the toilet back then and they lost many a customer because of it.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Thank you very all very much for the input. I do know what the action screws are - just didnt know the name specifically. I thought perhaps another spot in the action they may have been that i didnt realize. But regardless, there is a lot of input here to consider, and i will be for sure trying to figure out my first step. I do think i should upgrade the rings and scope regardless - however that brings me to another point of number crunching when it may be cheaper to buy a full used combo and upgrade gun/scope at the same time with a bit more efficiency money wise - perhaps an xbolt or tikka with a decentish scope on it already.

However, my gut is telling me this gun can shoot well as i have done it before with it when i first got it. So, somehow i tweaked something i shouldnt have in a negative way, or one of the many other things people mentioned.

Once again, thanks so much for info and several generous offers. I will definitely be reaching out to some people - but, i am a little torn not wanting to waste peoples time until i decide to at least potentially upgrade scope and rings, seems to be an upgrade that should happen regardless.

On a side note this is my first centerfire rifle and i did get my first deer with it this year. Im amazed how much i have been enjoying discovering the deer hunting process as well as all of the factors of guns and marksmanship. It has been an unexpected and very fun adventure. I have been more into fishing and pheasants, so this has been incredible and a fun/challenging multi layered topic and hobbie to enjoy and learn.
You're better off spending $500-2000 on a scope than you are buying a combo pack. JMO, but you can always move the scope to an upgraded gun later which I can guarantee will happen if you stick at it long enough.

If you're just going to use it for hunting within 300 yards the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 is a good scope for around $700. If you want to shoot past 300 yards upgrading to the Vortex HSLR 4-16x44 may be worth it. Just so happens Prophet River has them on sale for $599. If you want to go to the upper end you have the Razor LHT which looks like a great scope from Vortex.

Leupold also makes some nice scopes in their Mark 3 line. Zeiss and Nightforce do as well but those will be at the top of the budget.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-28-2023, 11:23 AM

Just got off the phone with the OP.
We discussed a few things he should check and can do for next to no cost beyond time and effort. Things like drying out bedding and scope mounting surfaces, using Wipeout to clean the rifle, and doing the “shim shoot and see” trick to see if free floating the barrel helps. Last will be a scope replacement once the rest of the variables are looked at.(yes he’s getting a better scope at some point).

We are going to meet up once Mother Nature eases her icy grip.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-28-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Just got off the phone with the OP.
We discussed a few things he should check and can do for next to no cost beyond time and effort. Things like drying out bedding and scope mounting surfaces, using Wipeout to clean the rifle, and doing the “shim shoot and see” trick to see if free floating the barrel helps. Last will be a scope replacement once the rest of the variables are looked at.(yes he’s getting a better scope at some point).

We are going to meet up once Mother Nature eases her icy grip.
Good to hear, I really didn't like the odds of him solving the issue without some assistance.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
If it’s not that hard to determine, how the heck did it pass QC? And how many other barrels left the line in the same condition.
I get that the sps is a cheap gun but ….
Remingtons quality was in the toilet back then and they lost many a customer because of it.
The same way the Ruger made it through with no rifling in it, or the wrong cartridge stamp on an M70, or the barrel being a full 1/8" off axis on a rebarrel from a well know " custom" shop , or a rifle coming back with a completely different barrel profile than was asked for.
Crap happens .........
Cat
Old 01-28-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Good to hear, I really didn't like the odds of him solving the issue without some assistance.
The OP has more on the ball than his postings suggest, he just struggles with the choice of words etc.

He’s a tweaker and tuner by nature, so this whole gambit intrigues him to a great degree.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-28-2023, 11:47 AM

The suggestions have been awesome. Glad to weigh, decide, experiment, and learn.

So many different variables to consider, and i like it that way. Makes it interesting.this group has some excellent resources and people.

Thanks to everyone!
Old 01-28-2023, 12:43 PM

Great to hear Dick. Hope you guys get it figured out. If you have the tools to readjust the scope may I suggest setting it up per the directions in the video below? I think Parallax could be giving him some issues with inconsistent cheek weld and a cheap scope.

Fishwhere, I highly recommend watching the video below if you're serious about shooting accurately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE&t=513s
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-28-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Great to hear Dick. Hope you guys get it figured out. If you have the tools to readjust the scope may I suggest setting it up per the directions in the video below? I think Parallax could be giving him some issues with inconsistent cheek weld and a cheap scope.

Fishwhere, I highly recommend watching the video below if you're serious about shooting accurately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE&t=513s
He’s well on his way to getting all he needs, some light mentoring will serve him better than YouTube.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 01-28-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
He’s well on his way to getting all he needs, some light mentoring will serve him better than YouTube.
Good of you to help him out. I believe he's in good hands!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-13-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Hey guys,

Need some opinions here. I have a factory rem 700 3006 with a cheap weaver kaspa scope i think it is. Yesterday I tried about 8 different factory types of hunting ammo in 180grain at 200 meters. And im a bit suprised that i didnt get better groups. Best 4 shot groups being maybe 5-6" and worst about 10".

When i first got the rifle and i was shooting cheap corelocks 165 grain at 200 meters i was getting almost 4" or less groups(approximate, didnt actually measure), sometimes even closer to 3" if i were to guess.

Since then i did go hunting and beat it through a little bush, but obviously was as careful as possible with gun/scope. I also used a different/better gun rest this time and the heavier grain bullets.

I am not an incredible shooter, but i do find it funny that i used some really high quality ammo yesterday and got seemingly worse results then before.

Any thoughts appreciated. Are these reasonable results for this set up?

Thanks!
The first thing I do with Remington rifles is get rid of the silly pressure point near the muzzle end of the wood.
I sand it off, then seal the wood up with a good wood sealer.
The recoil lug gets bedded and an inch under the chamber as well.
The action screws get torqued to 30 and blue loctited.
Put a better scope on it as well.
I never understood why Remington put the pressure point on their stocks?
Old 02-13-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I never understood why Remington put the pressure point on their stocks?
It does seem a bit counterintuitive, but my old mountain rifle in 270 shot like a house on fire with that wee little pencil thin barrel, and factory pressure point and their gob of hot glue for bedding. I left well enough alone.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The OP has more on the ball than his postings suggest, he just struggles with the choice of words etc.

He’s a tweaker and tuner by nature, so this whole gambit intrigues him to a great degree.
Had some pos cars when I was young. Learned a lot more useful life skills by fixing them myself than ever could have by simply buying a better car, even though that approach may have saved me some $$. Same applies to guns.
After you learn the nuts & bolts, saving $$ comes more naturally.