Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2023, 04:14 PM

Default Best Scope for long range shooting

Am going to peek into the rabbit hole that is long range shooting, I need a different scope as my Sig Sauer BDX system only has adjustments that allow me to shoot out to 800 yards.
I am seriously contemplating a Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50mm with MOA reticle and since the rifle is also used for hunting I think I will go with the second focal plane. I think a 20 MOA base will go on first to give me more elevation range.
I know there are some long rangers out there so what are your thoughts.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:22 PM

I guess it depends on how far you want to shoot and what cartridge you are shooting. I have a few NF 5.5-22x50 sfp MOART. With 25 moa rails I have about 65 minutes of adjustment up. I also have a NF 8-32x56 sfp MOAR. I prefer the “T” reticle for anything over 1000 yards.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:32 PM

I thought the BDX only lights up to 800 unless you add a kestrel, and then it will be unlimited?

You can also just use a drop calculator, or app like strelok and just use the dial on the sig scope to get you out further, as long as you have enough of a cant on the rail now.

Or you could guy a new scope. I have been looking at the March scopes lately.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:44 PM

I'm a big fan of Leica, I'd have a serious look at this:

https://leica-camera.com/en-int/sport-optics/scopes/prs

Kahles also has a very nice LR scope, a friend has one and really likes it, but he says the reticle is too busy for him.

Good glass is a must for LR, and it isn't cheap.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-21-2023, 04:47 PM

How far do you want to shoot, and what’s your budget? Do you need FFP or can you live with SFP? Also you want to use this gun for hunting, how much does the gun weigh, and how much do you want to tote around? Lastly what cartridge?
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-21-2023, 05:26 PM

If you use a scope that won’t adjust high enough you can use a different aiming point on the reticle. Like we’re the duplex thick part starts.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:04 PM

Lots of options out there , but " long range" is a prerry wide open statement .
Hunting as well or strictly target shooting ?
Lots of fellas using 10-50x60mm SFF scopes , many use FFP but for targets I don't like them , I also prefer straight target dots. This is for shooting at official sized targets on a square range .no need to range or estimate with a hash mark style reticle .
Cat
Old 01-21-2023, 06:28 PM

Zeiss conquest v4 works well
Old 01-21-2023, 07:20 PM

It will go on my 6.5 PRC which is a CA mesa long range, by long range I mean not over 1500 yards so I would need at least 55 MOA the 2.5-20 has 110 MOA so I have the 55 MOA but that runs it up to the end so I thought a 20 MOA base would be the ticket.

As far as hunting goes I can't really see me trying a shot of more than 500 yards, I have been hunting for 50 years and never had to shoot an animal that far but I want to ring steel way out there.

The reason I don't want a 7 - 35 or similar is that for hunting 7 power is just to much, I shot a friends 300 norma to 1224 yards and never had the scope over 14X so 20X should get me out to 1600 OK and the 2.5X on the bottom end is great for hunting, I am still considering the 4 - 32 x 50 also as 4X on the bottom end would still be OK for hunting and is what I have now.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
It will go on my 6.5 PRC which is a CA mesa long range, by long range I mean not over 1500 yards so I would need at least 55 MOA the 2.5-20 has 110 MOA so I have the 55 MOA but that runs it up to the end so I thought a 20 MOA base would be the ticket.

As far as hunting goes I can't really see me trying a shot of more than 500 yards, I have been hunting for 50 years and never had to shoot an animal that far but I want to ring steel way out there.

The reason I don't want a 7 - 35 or similar is that for hunting 7 power is just to much, I shot a friends 300 norma to 1224 yards and never had the scope over 14X so 20X should get me out to 1600 OK and the 2.5X on the bottom end is great for hunting, I am still considering the 4 - 32 x 50 also as 4X on the bottom end would still be OK for hunting and is what I have now.
The 2.5-20X will be fine for shooting steel and for hunting as well.
The AO 6mmBR rifle that we put together shot well and is quite a bit slower than your PRC. We took it right out to 1K with an old 24X Tasco (courtesy of Lee Hall) with only a 1 inch tube and 1/8MOA turret even, but we had a 20 MOA rail on it. I even had a about 1 MOA left on the turret !

Your choice will be be perfect.
Cat
Old 01-22-2023, 03:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Zeiss conquest v4 works well
x2
Old 01-22-2023, 07:17 AM

I prefer FFP mil/mil scopes with horus type reticle and locking exposed elevation turret and a capped windage turret. I use a 3-20x for causal shooting out to 1000m. I rarely dial above 15x.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:25 PM

I was using a kahles 525i on my rim X. Was great for that, but a bit much to go on a hunting rig. It is 5-25x56. I'm wanting to sell and get a lighter scope now that the rim X is gone. More of a hunting scope, so a bit lighter.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:26 PM

Vortex 4.5-22x50LHT is pretty skookum, it’s ffp. I also enjoy their 3-15x42 LHT in sfp.

I’m not normally a Vortex fan, but so far I’m very impressed with both of these. Time will tell, but the glass is really really nice, and weight is relatively low.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Vortex 4.5-22x50LHT is pretty skookum, it’s ffp. I also enjoy their 3-15x42 LHT in sfp.

I’m not normally a Vortex fan, but so far I’m very impressed with both of these. Time will tell, but the glass is really really nice, and weight is relatively low.

Im a fan of Vortex glass. They do work very good... and their warranty is second to none! Even tho their price has gone up since they first started out you still get a very decent piece of glass for the price you pay. Im currently sitting on 6 Vortex scopes and a pair of bino's.

Our range is 585m and I can see very good with the Diamond back tactical 4x16x44 moa.