Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have to agree.
Killing a critter ( any critter) has never been more simple as it ever has , yet for some, more complicated .
Cat
X2. Better optics, better bullets for all cartridges ,to many over think something that is already good.45 years ago I picked 2 cartridges what they are is not important to others ,but only for me. They have both been mentioned on this thread .

I tried out so many I made full circle right back to my beginnings ,never be happier.

Different rifle choice, fit, trigger the whole feel of the rifle yes has changed, but the same 2 cartridges . To start all over looking for that extra whatever and scoring all new loading stuff for it isn't going to happen for this guy. I have enough for both for a whole life time in loading components .

As far as I know moose or deer haven't built up some sort of new type of body coating or different bones ,plus there vitals haven't changed .So why all the fuss. 6.5 to 338 ,Pick your deal and hunt.

A moose at 100 or 300 yards out of whatever large cartridge most likely won't know much difference when he falls from being double lunged .

The only magic is after a 2 hour stalk your target appears and it's 75 yards away standing looking much better then you ever thought.

Cheers JD
Old 01-19-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And they aren't great reasons either. I choose a cartridge based on the performance of the cartridge for my applications. And unless you plan very poorly, or not a all, you shouldn't need to buy ammunition during a hunt, you should have enough stocked up, before the season begins.
Just because some people like to dive into the weeds on calibres, BC's, reloading, etc doesn't mean that a person has to do that to hunt successfully. I would bet that most whitetail killed each year in Alberta are done using boxed ammo and the shooter didn't even touch the turret on the scope.

So if your Dad killed everything you ever ate with his 270/30-06/303, it makes sense to start your gun ownership where your Dad left off.

I just ordered a wood stock rifle in 270win and I'm really looking forward to shooting that rifle. Why? Because the guy who showed me how to hunt killed everything with a 270. And I can't wait to bang on steel out 500-600 yards with it.

Don't believe the hype kids!
Old 01-19-2023, 01:08 PM

I have never seen a cartridge praised/hyped like the 6.5CM.

Just wait, the 7mm PRC is on it's way.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Cartridges are more alike than different.
Yep. As mentioned pretty much in the last paragraph of my post.

We have choices. You make yours, I make mine, we aren't 100% tbe same it's all good. We all have our reasoning just the same as we have when buying vehicles.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Yep. As mentioned pretty much in the last paragraph of my post.

We have choices. You make yours, I make mine, we aren't 100% tbe same it's all good. We all have our reasoning just the same as we have when buying vehicles.
X2 Amen there brother .
Old 01-19-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post

They can bring them out in any flavor they want ,my taste isn't far off . One more cartridge or 50 isn't going to put me in a different universe or over the moon.

There are way more shooters who over qualify themselves as real good shooters and the 7mm prc will not change that one tiny bit. After 45 years in the feild I seen way more poor shooters then decent ones .

Bench shooting is one positron only while feild shooting has multiple positions and angles and a different type of adrenaline in the mind in front of a different target.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers
JD
Old 01-19-2023, 02:38 PM

Well I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor a few weeks back, obviously very late to the bandwagon..

For me it just seemed like a perfect step up in caliber for my son, from a 243 Win. I do not at all believe it is a wonder cartridge, but it is a mild recoiling round in a light rifle. That and the ammunition and reloading availability was a deciding factor for me. I cant wait for him to get it out.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
oh my goodness obviously the frontal diameter

Its just one attribute yep. Right along with bullet weight, BC's, speed, energy, etc etc. Doesnt matter a tinkers damn if you bush hunt and shoot WT at 50 yds with a 30/30 but maybe its big bears at 50 and elk at 400. Why ignore it?

Safe to assume you use the same cartridge, bullet weight, bullet type, etc and hunt the same species every year? Or that you just buy rifle/rifles chambered in cartridges where none of those come into play. I tried going that route but kept running out of elevation taking 500 yd pokes at mule deer.

I'll also assume you have a good understanding of what role bullet SD's might play a role in and in what circumstances that might be important .

Its just science bud. Nothing mystical.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:43 PM

And seems like the right time here too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-19-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Just because some people like to dive into the weeds on calibres, BC's, reloading, etc doesn't mean that a person has to do that to hunt successfully. I would bet that most whitetail killed each year in Alberta are done using boxed ammo and the shooter didn't even touch the turret on the scope.

So if your Dad killed everything you ever ate with his 270/30-06/303, it makes sense to start your gun ownership where your Dad left off.

I just ordered a wood stock rifle in 270win and I'm really looking forward to shooting that rifle. Why? Because the guy who showed me how to hunt killed everything with a 270. And I can't wait to bang on steel out 500-600 yards with it.

Don't believe the hype kids!
Why you trying to make so much sense?
Old 01-19-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:

You know, if there were today’s media back in the 1950s or whenever they introduced the 270 Win, they likely would be written about in the same way.

But a for new cartridges, some guys enjoy wringing all the performance out of a rifle they can.

I see it the same as a guy building a hot rod. Just different $$$

But, as we know, they all kill game whenever used within the correct parameters. Nothing lives with a hole in its lungs.

Last edited by sns2; 01-19-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You know, if there were today’s media back in the 1950s or whenever they introduced the 270 Win, they likely would be written about in the same way.
The gun writers of the day sure were colorful on some of the articles I read from the 50's , and there seemed to be basically the same complaints, BS , and unbelievable claims from some of those writers as well
Cat
Old 01-20-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Its just one attribute yep. Right along with bullet weight, BC's, speed, energy, etc etc. Doesnt matter a tinkers damn if you bush hunt and shoot WT at 50 yds with a 30/30 but maybe its big bears at 50 and elk at 400. Why ignore it?

Safe to assume you use the same cartridge, bullet weight, bullet type, etc and hunt the same species every year? Or that you just buy rifle/rifles chambered in cartridges where none of those come into play. I tried going that route but kept running out of elevation taking 500 yd pokes at mule deer.

I'll also assume you have a good understanding of what role bullet SD's might play a role in and in what circumstances that might be important .

Its just science bud. Nothing mystical.
I was just being facetious my friend.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Why you trying to make so much sense?
I dunno....this is the internet after all lol.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:36 PM

One must follow the science. And ballistics don't lie. There are some factors which make one cartridge better then others. (feeding etc.) If you push the same projectile out of the same barrel with the same velocity and ballistics as the other guys rifle, the projectile gives no thought as to what the head stamp on the case says. So really if you load a .264 Magnum, Creedmoor, 6.5x55 or Grendel to the same velocity /bullet weight and BC. the end results would all be the same.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Well I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor a few weeks back, obviously very late to the bandwagon..

For me it just seemed like a perfect step up in caliber for my son, from a 243 Win. I do not at all believe it is a wonder cartridge, but it is a mild recoiling round in a light rifle. That and the ammunition and reloading availability was a deciding factor for me. I cant wait for him to get it out.

I did the same for my fiancee... she loves the cartridge/rifle! After firing hers a few times to sight it in for her... i needed one of my own. That being said... I'm always looking for any excuse to get a new rifle!
Old 01-22-2023, 01:40 PM

Default .45-70

I wound up giving up on the notion of a .45-70 as bear medicine. Found the only factory ammo was trapdoor loads and leverevolutions. It was fun to shoot. I really like the Marlin levers as well made reliable guns, but they still weigh seven pounds and for that I can put a great lightweight .30-06 together to do the same job, with better ergonomics and field stripping.

I wound up selling my stainless guide gun and put a boat paddle .338 WM Ruger Mark II in its place. Way easier to get suitable factory ammo. Now i think anything from a 7 pound Model 70 FWT in .30-06 with readily available 180 TSX, bonded bullets or 180-220 grain partitions, a .338 with any bonded or monometal, or a .375H&H or Ruger Alaskan with the barrel at 22” would be a better choice.

No doubt there is merit to the cartridge, as it’s been around forever. But if it’s so popular, then why couldn’t i buy better factory ammunition?

Last edited by philthygeezer; 01-22-2023 at 02:08 PM.