Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
You want a braindead writer, go look up Ron Spomer and his cartridge comparisons, bunch published in mags and on NRA site. Why anyone pays him for an article is beyond my comprehension.
He likely is a popular writer would be my only guess.
Certainly nowhere near the caliber of people like John Barsness , however.....
Cat
Old 01-11-2023, 10:13 AM

The one I don't get is the 6.5 creedmore. Nothing wrong with it but it pretty much replicates the .260 Rem. The Creedmore gives a little bit away in case capacity and velocity. The Creedmore does come with a faster twist and longer neck and throats in factory rifles so that longer bullets can be used yes.... But the guys that will need that are generally not shooting factory barrels. So... why not .260 with a faster twist and longer throat in your custom barrel?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
You want a braindead writer, go look up Ron Spomer and his cartridge comparisons, bunch published in mags and on NRA site. Why anyone pays him for an article is beyond my comprehension.
He is likely the most brain dead dead writer ever.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The one I don't get is the 6.5 creedmore. Nothing wrong with it but it pretty much replicates the .260 Rem. The Creedmore gives a little bit away in case capacity and velocity. The Creedmore does come with a faster twist and longer neck and throats in factory rifles so that longer bullets can be used yes.... But the guys that will need that are generally not shooting factory barrels. So... why not .260 with a faster twist and longer throat in your custom barrel?
The shoulder angle is changed slightly as well as the neck length so it will chamber the longer match bullets better than the 260 in the national match rifles.
Cat
Old 01-11-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Typically an emoji indicates the poster is joking, being sarcastic, tongue in cheek....
Who would have guessed

I really shouldn’t light the fuse when everyone is cooped up, but it’s fun to see the posts.

Come on guys, lighten up, as if the deer know the difference
Old 01-11-2023, 11:22 AM

Default this might give some perspective

Quote:
Found this article interesting

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-s...6.5-creedmoor/
Old 01-11-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
It was designed for a turnkey SAAMI option with features that were only available to the custom crowd previously. Those features also make it very attractive to custom builders and hand loaders. Win/win. And win it has. It was never designed around FPS. But for some stupid reason that’s all anyone who wants to hate it will talk about. This is willful ignorance. Lazy really. It was designed around a certain parameter. It fulfilled that parameter. So it succeeded.

The 7 PRC same.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 01-11-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
99% of shooter haven't used, hunted with or loaded for enough different cartridges to qualify to have an opinion on the matter.
Can you please go into further detail on who these 1 percenters are and where then can be located to enable the crowd to get on board and not be so ignorant about the topic.

Since most guys never hunted ,shoot or reloaded in the past 50 years.

Asking for a friend.

Were looking for expert advice, not some plow jockey theory or zip about angles .
Old 01-11-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Can you please go into further detail on who these 1 percenters are and where then can be located to enable the crowd to get on board and not be so ignorant about the topic.

Since most guys never hunted ,shoot or reloaded in the past 50 years.

Asking for a friend.

Were looking for expert advice, not some plow jockey theory or zip about angles .
I suspect that number is extremely conservative.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:11 PM

I would add to the discussion by saying that more recent bullet design and construction, as well as the newer powders really make smaller caliber/cartridge cases shine. I used a 300 Weatherby Mag with 180 Nosler Partitions for years. While I still enjoy shooting my middle magnums, I find myself shooting lighter, higher BC and controlled expansion bullets 99% of the time. Would I shoot a Moose with a 6.5CM? Bet your ass I would! At least under reasonable conditions.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post

.30-06 is the best all around cartridge there is, which means it's actually the MOST UNDERRATED.

Based on what? You owning 1?

I'd love to hear definitively how and why the 06 is better than 3/4's of the 284's. I see fps, sectional densities, speed, ballistic coefficients
and energy at yardage in favour of. 284's so I'm obviously missing an attribute or 2.

Some comps like 150gr vs 150, 160gr vs 165, and and 175 vs 180 should suffice.

Heck while you're at it let me know how it outshines 2 of 3 277's. Same weight bullets or even a bit in favor for the 06.

Nothing wrong with the 06 at all but I'm just not seeing it as "best all-round any more than lots of other cartridges. I hunt with fellas that think the .375 H& H is. Others that live and die by their 6.5 Swedes, Grendels and Weatherbys. Hunting cartridges are like golf clubs in that there isn't one brand, style, size, weight or manufacturer that can truly lay claim to performing better in all hands and all situations. Everybody has their favorites.

Plus most serious rifle folks have conceded honors to the 7RM and STW already.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:58 PM

A friend of mine on the 270 vs 30-06.

“That is a tough one, but I will give you my personal assessment. I have been using both since the mid 90's. At first, I used the two mixed in with several 7mm and 300 mags, but have hunted almost exclusively with a 270 or 30-06 since 2008.

The 30-06 has a much better selection of bullets available, both in factory loads and component bullets. You can find almost any bullet you could possibly conceive from lightweight varmint bullets to 250 grain Woodleighs. The 1-10' or 1-11" twist you find in most 30-06's will stabilize most of them. I think this is due to the fact that 220's were a fairly common load from the early days of the 30-06.

Like all older cartridges, new powders have given the 30-06 velocities that were unheard of 20 years ago. 150's at 3100 or so, 165's around 2950-3000, 180's around 2850 and 200's at 2750 are all easy to achieve. At that point, it is pretty hard to say a 270 has any real world advantage. I doubt a hunter would notice much difference in a 150 grain 30 caliber bullet at 3100 or a 130 grain 270 caliber bullet at 3100, without getting too gacky. about SD or frontal area.

Last summer I spent some time with my new 30-06 loaded with the 212 ELDX and R26. I was able to get 2750 without any effort at all and the cases have been fired 8-10 times and are still trucking along. That brings up another point, that Lapua brass is readily available for the 30-06, if a guy likes Lapua brass. The 270 has a smaller selection of better quality brass. I recently got 100 pieces of RWS 270 brass. I paid more than Lapua and while good, it is not as consistent as the Lapua.

As far as effect on game goes.....I have not been able to discern any difference on sheep and deer sized game. Both will kill with more power than is necessary. In my experience, I think I have seen more 'effect, or impact, or reaction to the shot' or whatever you like to call it with a 30-06 on animals starting with grizzly, caribou, and elk sized stuff. It may be a mental thing, but I would rather carry a bloody pack full of caribou meat through the alders with a 30-06 loaded with .308, 220 grain Partitions (or whatnot) than .277, 160 grain Partitions.

I will probably always have a 270, as I am a far gone O'Connor fan, and my wife likes to shoot my 270 due to the slightly lower recoil with 130's. Having said that, I have spent hundreds of hours with Brad O'Connor over the years, including staying at his house multiple times, and he claims Jack would always say the 30-06 was a more versatile all around cartridge. He will then point out that while he always had a 270 available while hunting in Canada, that something like 11 of Jacks 12 grizzlies were taken with the 30-06's he also had along on the trips.

Another guy I know, who is a dyed in the wool 270 guy, goes to Africa every year on high volume plains game hunts. He sees literally dozens and dozens of animals taken every year, from impala to eland. Multiple times in the last few years he has told me that while he still loves his 270's, he has found the 30-06 to be a little better on the bigger plains game. And as John Oosthuizen once told me, if you run out of 30-06 ammo, just look under the floormats in the Land Cruiser….there will be some there.”
Old 01-11-2023, 10:19 PM

These cartridge threads are like deja vu every time. I am sure though there will be another one next week or the week after asking which one to buy
Old 01-11-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
The .260 is a fine cartridge but they made the neck to dang short. Had they kept the neck the same length as the .243 which it was copied from... NOW you would be talking an awesome case/cartridge combo. It is however considered a bit of a throat burner in its present form. I love mine. It shoots as well or better then some of my other cartridges .... But tha short neck grrrrrr.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:48 PM

The most overrated cartridge to one person could be the most underrated cartridge to another person, just a matter of opinion, and we all know about opinions eh.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:07 PM

Default 7 PRC might be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I never caught the 6.5 CM fever but it seems that it does what it was designed for and does it well, shoot with a couple guys that have them and they really like them and they shoot well, like all cartridges keep them within their capabilities and they are fine. Even though the race is on to manufacture the perfect cartridge nobody has got to the finish line yet, IMHO
I am starting to think that the 7PRC might be as close to the perfect cartridge you speak of currently available. They may have crossed the finish line!

https://youtu.be/ZJ1nxcZtE_Y
Old 01-14-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I am starting to think that the 7PRC might be as close to the perfect cartridge you speak of currently available. They may have crossed the finish line!

https://youtu.be/ZJ1nxcZtE_Y

Yes it's as close as any to perfect, maybe even a bit closer, it has my spidy senses tingling

Old 01-14-2023, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
My .22 mags have given me more enjoyment than shooting my .22 LR
Me too, I hate the price of feeding them though.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:55 AM

I love these discussions. I always find that I own some great guns and some not perfect ones. Probably just like most guys on here.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:31 AM

It's a toss up between my .22 LR and my 17 HMR which one gets the most round per year through them, both get somewhere north of 2,000 rounds per year and both bring many hrs of enjoyment to me in the gopher patches.

The guns that get the most for sure are my shotguns, 10,000 is an average year between trap, some skeet and sporting clays and of course the goose blind.

I am starting to peek into the rabbit hole called long range shooting now so I suspect some of the others are going to get some serious exercise before this year is over, mainly the 6.5 PRC and the 300 RUM. But seriously it's a good day when you can burn some gun powder.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

anything labelled magnum is overrated but sounds cool so many jump on board.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
How does this phenomenon apply to the PRC’s?
Old 01-15-2023, 09:55 AM

Free advice… never make the mistake of allowing marketing to convince you to buy or not buy a cartridge. Let ballistics and common sense be one’s guide. legal cartridges typically work well if used within reasonable parameters.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
How does this phenomenon apply to the PRC’s?
Is PRC no good?

I like to try new things.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Uhhh. No. 7RM is overrated? 300wm? 300wby? A lot of hunters and shooters would tell you different. The stalest discussions involve dead is dead and ammunition availability at Ben's Hardware store in La Crete. First is great, you're an accomplished shooter. Second is great, you're an idiot for leaving your ammunition at home/a crap shooter and ran out.

It's no different than drivers buying high performance cars on specs. An extra 5 hp, 2/10's off a zero to 60, or 5 ft shorter braking distance from 100k. Who cares? Its fun and all about personal choices.

Last edited by 270person; 01-15-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:31 AM

6.5 creedmoor..

Great support from manufactures but what did it do the the 260can't in a bolt gun

Even in a gas gun, it's convenient, but when running a semi-auto why do you want anything but cheap surplus
Old 01-15-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburbot View Post
6.5 creedmoor..

Great support from manufactures but what did it do the the 260can't in a bolt gun

Even in a gas gun, it's convenient, but when running a semi-auto why do you want anything but cheap surplus
It does several things better than the 260 in the match rifle actoon it was designed for .see post #49
Cat
Old 01-15-2023, 11:05 AM

I shoot my 22 mag alot more then my 22 LR works well on coyotes also
Old 01-15-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Does that apply to the 256 Winchester magnum?
Old 01-15-2023, 11:17 AM

To be overrated, a cartridge actually needs to be highly rated. If a cartridge is heavily marketed, and raved about in every magazine or website, it had better be very special to not be overrated. Then again, if it is a less known cartridge, then the ratings will be much lower, and the chances of it being overrated, are much less.