Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

More like jack of all trades, master of none. It does everything okay, but isn't the best at anything. The same for the 270win. If you ask someone why they bought a 30-06, or a 270win, the usual answer is "because my father did" , or uncle, or grandfather. It's almost never about ballistics , in fact many of those people don't know a lot about ballistics.
That's racist!

If a guy only had one rifle, you'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile cartridge, from light to heavy bullet for calibre. It just works.

Speaking as someone who has never owned one and is a fan of the .308 win and it's progeny.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2023, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
More like jack of all trades, master of none. It does everything okay, but isn't the best at anything. The same for the 270win. If you ask someone why they bought a 30-06, or a 270win, the usual answer is "because my father did" , or uncle, or grandfather. It's almost never about ballistics , in fact many of those people don't know a lot about ballistics.
Actually, some of the most accomplished hunters that are also ballistically astute choose the above two cartridges to hunt the world with.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Actually, some of the most accomplished hunters that are also ballistically astute choose the above two cartridges to hunt the world with.
It's amazing isn't it? That people can successfully hunt without a wildcat .398 Eargisplittenloudenboomer?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2023, 09:29 PM

I stopped reading when his first comment was that .17 anything's, are not good varmint rounds and blow in the wind..... LOL .....

I use 17's a lot. The .17 hornet is far superior to the .22 Hornet and the .17 HMR is far superior to the .22 lr. or the .22 WMR

Don't get me wrong I like both the .22 long rifle and the .22 hornet, not a big fan of the .22 WMR.

The .204 Ruger makes them all weep in the tall grass. But I am thinking this guy has no idea what that cartridge even is.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 01-09-2023 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Psst... don't tell anyone. The deer don't care what caliber it got shot with. As long as the placement is good.
Said every meat hunter....
Old 01-09-2023, 09:45 PM

What a crock! Petzal calls the 378 Weatherby overrated because he can't stand the recoil? I found it brutal too, but thought it was awesome...

Same goes for the 10mm. Just because your average Joe can't face it does not make it overrated. The yanks had to dumb it down to the 40 Slow and Weak.

Truly overrated: the 6.5 you know what. It's just not the be all end all long range hunting round many newbies think it is.

A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something. Crap like this happens when writers get paid by the word.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It's amazing isn't it? That people can successfully hunt without a wildcat .398 Eargisplittenloudenboomer?
Steppenwolf - Who Needs Ya .398 Earschplittenloudenboomer is an album cover

.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer is the wildcat rifle cartridge.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:59 PM

303 Brit is the answer to all your needs
Old 01-09-2023, 10:02 PM

I recently went to P&D with cash in hand to buy a Model 70 in 30-06. Alas, upon inspection, the. Stock was warped, and touching all the way down right side of barrel. I was disappointed. I wanted to hunt with a 30-06 because it’s good.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:13 PM

And then you bought a 6.5 something something in complete disgust....

*Tiggered*!!

Old 01-09-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
The 30-06 just keeps killing game and doing it well.....

So do about 40 other chamberings. 06 is certainly nothing special in the grand scheme of things but same can be said for a whole raft of .308 cal offerings. Like elk said above, 06 is a jack of all trades, like a large list of others, and a master of none. The tired old ammunition availability argument has been proven bunk during this shortage.

vs 2 06's I'd far prefer having one of each of the bookends, 270 and 7RM, and consider myself ahead. Theres not a lot of attributes where an 06 outperforms the 270 using same or similar weight bullets to 150gr, and I can't think of one vs the 7RM. The 284 175gr bullets outperform 308 180's by a considerable margin, 160gr 284's outperform .308 165's, 150 vs 150 and on down the line.

Nothing wrong with 30-06 at all but quite frankly, outside of it likely being offered in more rifles than many it doesn't offer any major advantages other than providing brass that can be necked up to hold .358 bullets. Now we're talking.

Last edited by 270person; 01-09-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
The’06 is the jack of all trades and the master of them all.

Rumor has it you're really a closet 270 guy.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Never did. Antiquated low pressure military round vs modern match round. What someone “can” do with handloading, custom barrel and reamer, fire forming, etc isn’t relevant to what it is. Probably the most annoying thing in the gun world.
I’m not sure what you are getting at here?

Both will shoot the same projectile, at essentially the same speed, using the same amount of powder. If we buy the same say, tikka, one in creed and one in Swede, I would bet the accuracy is exactly the same too.

Getting into a match rifle, why is a $7000 custom creedmoor ok but a Swede isn’t? Also anyone I know that shoots competitively with the creed hand loads, so why are you saying that I can’t compare apples to apples. Why aren’t we comparing a Swede to creed based on a match rifle running handloads?

The only advantages I would give the creed is its shorter action and it’s much easier to find brass for thanks to its popularity. Outside that, the creedmoor really hasn’t improved in any meaningful margin over its 125 year older cousin. I’m certain Hornady reformed the 30TC to take advantage of the already proven 6.5mm components popularized by the Swede.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:10 AM
Banned

The 6.5x55 can be loaded to higher pressure in modern firearms
Old 01-10-2023, 02:00 AM

With everyone focused on BC’s and not terminal ballistics the 30 Cal’s have become vastly underrated for hunting. Most hunting is done within 300 yards where the BC’s don’t matter. Therefore I view it as all the “long range” cartridges are over rated think 7mmRM, all the 6.5’s, 280AI, etc… put those cartridges up against a 300WM, 30-06, and 308 within 300 meters. I don’t see much difference beside the 30 Cal’s being able to load heavier and deliver more energy on the target.

270 and 2506, are also criminally underrated for deer guns.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 01-10-2023 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I made it to the 10mm and then quit reading. Realized the author was an idiot
X2
Old 01-10-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Said every meat hunter....
Trophy deer experience things differently?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-10-2023, 06:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
X2
Yup.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-10-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

The only advantages I would give the creed is its shorter action and it’s much easier to find brass for thanks to its popularity. Outside that, the creedmoor really hasn’t improved in any meaningful margin over its 125 year older cousin. I’m certain Hornady reformed the 30TC to take advantage of the already proven 6.5mm components popularized by the Swede.
That is EXACTLY why the Creedmoor was designed, to feed and function well in the short action mag fed National Course match rifles that are being used , but still keep up with the 260/6.5X55 velocities downrange, not for the velocity alone.
It basically started out as a niche cartridge .
Funny thing is, up here I have never even seen a true National course match being held, let alone a rifle built for the National course, because its an NRA thing!
In fact, I have never met a single Creedmoor shooter who even knows what an "Across the course" rifle even looks like, yet they profess to to tell me how much better it it s than any other 6.5 cartridge.
Cat
Old 01-10-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
303 Brit is the answer to all your needs
There are many that would dispute this, I ignore them because I don't need that sort of negativity in my life!
Cat
Old 01-10-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
The key word being "some". In my experience, the people that tend to purchase a 270win, or 30-06, because they have compared the ballistics to other cartridges, and then chose them, are very much in the minority. By far the biggest factor, is that friends or relatives use these cartridges, the same reason that they buy a certain make automobile or vote for a certain political party. Or they want a common cartridge, so they can buy a box of ammunition pretty much anywhere ammunition is sold.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
With everyone focused on BC’s and not terminal ballistics the 30 Cal’s have become vastly underrated for hunting. Most hunting is done within 300 yards where the BC’s don’t matter. Therefore I view it as all the “long range” cartridges are over rated think 7mmRM, all the 6.5’s, 280AI, etc… put those cartridges up against a 300WM, 30-06, and 308 within 300 meters. I don’t see much difference beside the 30 Cal’s being able to load heavier and deliver more energy on the target.

100% BCs only become a factor at 30 yds plus.Not many average hunters shoot well beyond this distance.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
100% BCs only become a factor at 30 yds plus.Not many average hunters shoot well beyond this distance.
Lol. Hopefully you meant 300 yds.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:49 AM

If you want to "rule out" a cartridge as being overrated, all you have to do is Google what's being used most commonly in Africa. Hunters don't travel half way around the world spending a fortune to experience a once in a lifetime hunt with some fancy new cartridge with a cool sounding name. Incidentally, the most commonly used cartridge in Africa (for plains animals) is 30-06.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If you want to "rule out" a cartridge as being overrated, all you have to do is Google what's being used most commonly in Africa. Hunters don't travel half way around the world spending a fortune to experience a once in a lifetime hunt with some fancy new cartridge with a cool sounding name. Incidentally, the most commonly used cartridge in Africa (for plains animals) is 30-06.
If I was flying that far to hunt, where the airlines might lose my ammunition, I would go with a cartridge, that I had the best chance of getting replacement ammunition for. Or, I would just borrow a rifle from the outfitter, which would be something that he can easily source ammunition for.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:00 AM

Remember the Jim Zumbo fiasco when his editor asked him to spice up his blog and stir up some discussion. Well, that's what writers do for these monthly magazines. If I were to choose one cartridge as being over-rated, it would be 300WSM, and I've owned and shot several of them, and I sold every single one. It kills, but no better than a 30-06 IMO. And that's all it is, my opinion.

PN: Zumbo shot a heap of game with a 30-06.

Leo,
Old 01-10-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Remember the Jim Zumbo fiasco when his editor asked him to spice up his blog and stir up some discussion. Well, that's what writers do for these monthly magazines. If I were to choose one cartridge as being over-rated, it would be 300WSM, and I've owned and shot several of them, and I sold every single one. It kills, but no better than a 30-06 IMO. And that's all it is, my opinion.

PN: Zumbo shot a heap of game with a 30-06.

Leo,
I happened to hunt with an outfitter that Zumbo had been with about that time. The staff said that they would be happy if he never hunted with them again, after dealing with him on one hunt.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:01 PM

Default Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

I think an important part of this conversation is application. If your a northern or central Alberta deer moose or elk hunter then the 30 cals are wonderful. If your a target shooter then not so much. If your a Southern Alberta prairie hunter then your often looking for something with the ability to reach out.

It all comes down to buy and use what you like and are comfortable. I will say the 6.5 mm bullets seem to have the highest BC to grain weight ratio with an incredibly wide varitey of choices and cartridges. The 7mm cartridges also have some great bullet choices and with the magnum cartridges they certainly have velocity.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:13 PM

Are there any over rated cartridges or are people just using the wrong tool for the job any hand and letting emotion get in the way. For example 22lr is a fantastic dispatch cartridge for trapping, but all the hunters will tell you it garbage and won’t kill wolves or coyotes you need minimum 243.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:16 PM

Most overated cartridge has to be the 7mm STW

Most underated cartridges, 308 win and 270 win.