Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2023, 05:47 PM

Default Most Overrated Cartridges

Interesting article from Field and Stream.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/10-mo...ed-cartridges/

A bit surprised the 7mm Mag, most short mags, and the .22 Mag are on the list?...

The floor is yours...
Old 01-09-2023, 05:48 PM

6.5 Grendel.

Go!

Oh, wait....no Stinky.

They go too far when they diss the .41 Magnum though! I love my .41s! I have a S&W Model 57 and 657. Beautiful!

21.9 gr of H110 behind a 210 XTP is seriously good medicine.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2023, 05:52 PM

David Petzal has obviously never used a 22wmr on beaver. Best beaver gun I’ve used.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:55 PM

Typical Petzal, not a clue, you would think that they could find a better writer.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:57 PM

I made it to the 10mm and then quit reading. Realized the author was an idiot
Old 01-09-2023, 06:07 PM

To me, the 6.5 Creedmoor is one of thev biggest over rated cartridges out there as far as a hunting round goes

It works great for what it was designed for, however I have no idea how some of the fanboys and writers that hunt with it it figure it is any better at killing than any of the other 6.5's around with the same (or more!) Case capacity
The WSM's are over rated as well, but the 270WSM does yield an average of 200FPS more than thd standard 270 Win.
Cat
Old 01-09-2023, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
6.5 Grendel.

Go!

Oh, wait....no Stinky.

They go too far when they diss the .41 Magnum though! I love my .41s! I have a S&W Model 57 and 657. Beautiful!

I had to go say hi to him on cgn and rain on his parade
Old 01-09-2023, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
David Petzal has obviously never used a 22wmr on beaver. Best beaver gun I’ve used.
Used to use a 22mag
Switched to a 223, wayyyyyy better
Old 01-09-2023, 06:12 PM

While I can agree with a couple that are listed, the author doesn't have a clue.

If the listed cartridges are so poor, they will find thier own way to obsolesence very soon.. with out any assistance from him.

He may find a place at Turdos "Pik-nik" table if he keeps this kind of crap up.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
To me, the 6.5 Creedmoor is one of thev biggest over rated cartridges out there as far as a hunting round goes

It works great for what it was designed for, however I have no idea how some of the fanboys and writers that hunt with it it figure it is any better at killing than any of the other 6.5's around with the same (or more!) Case capacity
The WSM's are over rated as well, but the 270WSM does yield an average of 200FPS more than thd standard 270 Win.
Cat
100% the 6.5 creedmoor is overrated
Old 01-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cat
Agreed
Old 01-09-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Cat
Exactly. How long has the 6.5 x 55 Swede been doing the same darn thing, and doing it well?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2023, 06:19 PM

It's just one guy's list and really means nothing, just another guy bestowing his self proclaimed wisdom on the masses, he is just filling his allotted word count for the magazine that pays his salary.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
While I can agree with a couple that are listed, the author doesn't have a clue.

If the listed cartridges are so poor, they will find thier own way to obsolesence very soon.. with out any assistance from him.

He may find a place at Turdos "Pik-nik" table if he keeps this kind of crap up.
He didn’t say that they were poor cartridges.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I had to go say hi to him on cgn and rain on his parade
Is he preaching his same sermon over there?
Old 01-09-2023, 06:37 PM

Default Just about fell for it

I just about chimmed in on this thread then thought the better of it. I don't want to alienate any would be friends on the forum.

I will say that I am not a big fan of 30 cal cartridges. The BC of most of the bullets leaves alot to be desired. That said the really heavy new 30 cal stuff like the 215gr eldx and 225gr eldm (hornady) and some of the berger stuff like the 205gr elite hunter and the 210 vld are nice bullets.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly. How long has the 6.5 x 55 Swede been doing the same darn thing, and doing it well?
Never did. Antiquated low pressure military round vs modern match round. What someone “can” do with handloading, custom barrel and reamer, fire forming, etc isn’t relevant to what it is. Probably the most annoying thing in the gun world.

You know what’s overrated? The 30-06. It just farts along, not doing anything new or cool but people still buy it

If Petzel and Spomer had a stupidity contest the weight of the resulting pile of BS would create its own gravitational pull.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:45 PM

Well, I'm glad I've never owned a .30-06 then.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
6.5 Grendel.

Go!

Oh, wait....no Stinky.

agreed!!!! under rated would be the word.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Is he preaching his same sermon over there?
Yep 👍
Old 01-09-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Interesting article from Field and Stream.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/10-mo...ed-cartridges/

A bit surprised the 7mm Mag, most short mags, and the .22 Mag are on the list?...

The floor is yours...
Not the first list I’ve ever seen with the 7mag on it. But as mentioned one guys list means nothing as it’s lost likely his personal preference. I like old tried and true cartridges so shy away from the new offerings. Doesn’t mean the new cartridges are bad. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 01-09-2023, 07:40 PM

Based on these statements in the opening paragraph and lead-in, I think he makes some valid points.
Quote:
When you read this, do not, pray, confuse “overrated” with “bad” or “unsuccessful.”
Below are 10 cartridges, however useful or successful, that aren’t what they’re cracked up to be. Argue among yourselves. Leave me alone.
I have read/heard the same observations about some of the cartridges mentioned in various formats over the decades.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-09-2023, 07:45 PM

[QUOTE=3blade;4598749]Never did. Antiquated low pressure military round vs modern match round. What someone “can” do with handloading, custom barrel and reamer, fire forming, etc isn’t relevant to what it is. Probably the most annoying thing in the gun world.

You know what’s overrated? The 30-06. It just farts along, not doing anything new or cool but people still buy it

The’06 is the jack of all trades and the master of them all.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-09-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:55 PM

And if anyone knows, it's CowmanBob! Seriously.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:01 PM

As far as hunting goes 98 percent of calibres are over rated. But variety is the spice of life.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=cowmanbob;4598782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Never did. Antiquated low pressure military round vs modern match round. What someone “can” do with handloading, custom barrel and reamer, fire forming, etc isn’t relevant to what it is. Probably the most annoying thing in the gun world.

The’06 is the jack of all trades and the master of them all.
More like jack of all trades, master of none. It does everything okay, but isn't the best at anything. The same for the 270win. If you ask someone why they bought a 30-06, or a 270win, the usual answer is "because my father did" , or uncle, or grandfather. It's almost never about ballistics , in fact many of those people don't know a lot about ballistics.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:05 PM

Actually I’m fine with anything that sends a hunk of lead down range.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:11 PM

My .22 mags have given me more enjoyment than shooting my .22 LR

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-09-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Actually I’m fine with anything that sends a hunk of lead down range.

Psst... don't tell anyone. The deer don't care what caliber it got shot with. As long as the placement is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
More like jack of all trades, master of none. It does everything okay, but isn't the best at anything. The same for the 270win. If you ask someone why they bought a 30-06, or a 270win, the usual answer is "because my father did" , or uncle, or grandfather. It's almost never about ballistics , in fact many of those people don't know a lot about ballistics.

Erm... what is this ballistol thing of which you speak?
Old 01-09-2023, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

If Petzel and Spomer had a stupidity contest the weight of the resulting pile of BS would create its own gravitational pull.
The 30-06 just keeps killing game and doing it well.................why wouldn't you want to stick with that. Choosing something different doesn't mean you are cool or have chosen something better...............