Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There is nothing a 30-06 does that a 300 wm can’t do better.
And then the 300 PRC, or the RUM, then move onto the 30-378……..
Old 01-21-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
There is nothing a 30-06 does that a 300 wm can’t do better.
'Nuff said'

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-21-2023, 08:37 PM

I like the 300 rum not anymore recoil then my 300 win and it will put a grizzly down.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:58 PM

I am by no means an expert, but I very much like my 308 win, I shoot 168 gr rounds and it’s got great velocity and still knocks over the deer I shoot. One of my favourite things about it is I could be in some backwater town and still find rounds for it. I’m sure there are other rounds that have different pros, but I just really like mine
Old 01-21-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I feel old, so I’m gonna say 30-06.

It really is just that simple.
X2
Old 01-21-2023, 09:43 PM

Best all-around chambering for game in Alberta? That’s an easy one - 30.06.

Try to convince me otherwise, lol. It can reach out to 500yds, and can be loaded up, down and sideways with readily-found components.

For the -a grizzly is charging me- crowd, it has the authority to knock down a bear, no question. If a quick follow up shot is required, it feeds neatly and the recoil won’t knock your teeth out and will allow you to quickly reacquire a target.

It’s old and some say it’s boring, but it is an amazing cartridge.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post

Try to convince me otherwise, lol. It can reach out to 500yds, and can be loaded up, down and sideways with readily-found components.

For the -a grizzly is charging me- crowd, it has the authority to knock down a bear, no question. If a quick follow up shot is required, it feeds neatly and the recoil won’t knock your teeth out and will allow you to quickly reacquire a target.

So it's kind of like the 7RM (the true best all round Alberta cartridge) except less of everything, other than recoil, in every area you mention.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
X2
Exactly there's a reason it's been around over a hundred years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Exactly that's why it's been around for over a hundred years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
So it's kind of like the 7RM (the true best all round Alberta cartridge) except less of everything, other than recoil, in every area you mention.
It holds more rounds in the magazine and has better brass availability.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
It holds more rounds in the magazine and has better brass availability.

Some of us only need one sir.

They considered everything in 1962. Fewer rounds in mag = lighter rifle so again.....7RM for the win.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:53 PM

There’s nothing a 7rm can do that a 270 can’t do the same.

Last edited by Dubious; 01-22-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
There’s nothing a 7rm can do that a 270 can’t do the same.

Ha. I'll put the 17hmr up against all of them. Little tough on the reload side but hey. Ringing, ok pinging, those gongs at 250, on a windless day, is no small feat. Never feel undergunned when gopher hunting solo in badger country.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:55 PM

Wink Well done!

Quote:

They considered everything in 1962. Fewer rounds in mag = lighter rifle so again.....7RM for the win.

^^That is a good analogy.
While the pretty young things are getting all the attention, the old timer is doing the work and getting the job done.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2023, 04:16 PM

One thing for sure about this thread is , you guys are experts at blowing smoke.

05CEE779-F8E5-48E4-95EE-CEB81AFBA3AE.jpg
Old 01-22-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:

So I posed this question before. I have both in very similar rifles. I shoot 168 gr bullets in both. One at just over 2900 fps one it just over 3000 fps. Where do I get to see this great big difference in the field between the two?
Old 01-22-2023, 04:30 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
One thing for sure about this thread is , you guys are experts at blowing smoke.

Attachment 183482
Nah, c'mon now.
Look here, this thread has basically come down to two .30 cals. the aught 6 and 300 Win Mag, there should be no discussion really as it's a well known and understood fact that Magnums kill game 2 times more dead than non magnums, the only real problem is dragging and lifting all that extra dead weight.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
So I posed this question before. I have both in very similar rifles. I shoot 168 gr bullets in both. One at just over 2900 fps one it just over 3000 fps. Where do I get to see this great big difference in the field between the two?
Well, that is the thing, you and I ( and a few others) know danged well that the field ( or range) and printed ballistics are two different things but more often than not no real difference can be noted in the field - or used to advantage for that matter .
Cat
Old 01-22-2023, 04:40 PM

I would pick a 308 or at least something with the shorter bolt action.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:01 PM

The caliber of choice is the gun that's in your hands when you need one.

Nothing else matters.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Nah, c'mon now.
Look here, this thread has basically come down to two .30 cals. the aught 6 and 300 Win Mag, there should be no discussion really as it's a well known and understood fact that Magnums kill game 2 times more dead than non magnums, the only real problem is dragging and lifting all that extra dead weight.
LMAO reading this stuff .Sure a lighter rifle is better then a heavy one in some cases , but the thin guys are climbing hills and step elevations and they choose a lighter rifle . The fat guys want a lighter rifle but are 40 pounds over weight so they need a light rifle to help drag there sorry arrs around on flat ground.

If your fit the 30 06 or the 300 winny should not be a problem, if your arrs is dragging then the 300 winny is needed to get you back in shape to burn off those extra pounds ,plus that extra weight for recoil .

So the 7mm RM wins hands down ,because most 7mm guys like to seek out more game making them more fit .

Some of this maybe true just like this whole thread ,but dead weight in a pair of boots are always thinking everything in life is heavy even getting the remote for the tv ,so they seek the path of lease resistance in life in every avenue except there lunch kit . Yet there rifle is to heavy .:sHa_sarcasti clol:

Over feed bellies with there brains suffering from mal nutrition would think there rifles are way to heavy.

Just joking around,but just walk around a large gun show and I might not be far off. You can barley pick out the 7mm rm guys since there so thin in a crowd .

Cheers to All
JD
Old 01-22-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Thought you were a Barnes guy for both chamberings but not possible if 168 I dont believe.

I didn't say it was a "great big" difference but there's def a diff between the two and you know that..

A bit faster. A bit flatter. Better SD. More energy carried at all ranges with similar weight bullets.

I think the advantages you were trumpeting for the 06 were better bullet selection and heavier bullets which I dont think is a really relevant discussion when A) the majority of hunters use factory ammunition vs reloading and B) would likely shoot 2? maybe 3? different bullet weights for either in their lifetime. Just spitballin but I'd say a large majority of 06 users that ever used 3 diff bullet weights would touch 150, 165, and 180? 7RM users likely 140, 150, 160, 175?? I'm going to knock off the 140's to simplify a question to you.

Same bullet and similar bullet weight. Most commonly used by most, 150 RM vs 150 - 160 RM vs 165, and 175RM vs 180, where does the 06 outperform the 7RM. Whatever boosts you want to give the .308 via reloading you must give same to .284.

I'm actually not really knocking the 06 at all chuck. We both have our preferences and thats cool. I dont give a tinkers about most of the .308's to be honest and just sold the last one I'll ever own. I'm just considering the science and the science says a .284 bullet has better aerodynamics and is more efficient in air than a. 308 bullet and the only way you can match or better the 284 is to drive the .308 faster. Hence the 300WM, etc.

All good. You love your 06 and appreciate the 7RM also, and if it came down to it I'd shoot my Whelen for everything even if its a tad limited in the long range department.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:19 PM

By the sounds of it I have to quit hunting or go buy some new guns because I don't have a 30-06, 300 win mag or a 7mm rem mag in my stable, but my 6.5 PRC, 270 win and 300 RUM can and will do anything I need. if not I guess I'll have to dig out the 30-30 model 94

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
LMAO reading this stuff .Sure a lighter rifle is better then a heavy one in some cases , but the thin guys are climbing hills and step elevations and they choose a lighter rifle . The fat guys want a lighter rifle but are 40 pounds over weight so they need a light rifle to help drag there sorry arrs around on flat ground.

If your fit the 30 06 or the 300 winny should not be a problem, if your arrs is dragging then the 300 winny is needed to get you back in shape to burn off those extra pounds ,plus that extra weight for recoil .

So the 7mm RM wins hands down ,because most 7mm guys like to seek out more game making them more fit .

Some of this maybe true just like this whole thread ,but dead weight in a pair of boots are always thinking everything in life is heavy even getting the remote for the tv ,so they seek the path of lease resistance in life in every avenue except there lunch kit . Yet there rifle is to heavy .:sHa_sarcasti clol:

Over feed bellies with there brains suffering from mal nutrition would think there rifles are way to heavy.

Just joking around,but just walk around a large gun show and I might not be far off. You can barley pick out the 7mm rm guys since there so thin in a crowd .

Cheers to All
JD

I kind of wish that was the case JD but no. Age far more than size is the biggest factor. .

Plus a lighter rifle doesn't affect a wheelchairs aerodynamics as much.

Lighter rifle means more beer and weed in backpack? Better chance of outrunning hunting partners with heavy rifles when being pursued by bear?

I can come up with lots but sadly the 7RMs I've owned were my heaviest rifles. The 35 Whelen is the lightest. Go figure. I'm waiting for a sub 5lb 375 H&H to hit the market and I'm on that baby big time.

I'm just having some fun here man.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I kind of wish that was the case JD but no. Age far more than size is the biggest factor. .

Plus a lighter rifle doesn't affect a wheelchairs aerodynamics as much.

Lighter rifle means more beer and weed in backpack? Better chance of outrunning hunting partners with heavy rifles when being pursued by bear?

I can come up with lots but sadly the 7RMs I've owned were my heaviest rifles. The 35 Whelen is the lightest. Go figure. I'm waiting for a sub 5lb 375 H&H to hit the market and I'm on that baby big time.

I'm just having some fun here man.
I'm just joking around also ,I'm the last guy to chirp about being really fit .Age is the deal with many on this site specially if we have had a bad injuries in life . Just doing ever day stuff becomes a big chore once we hit a certain time in life where our parts start to give out.

I don't think any one is far off on there choice of cartridge ,my only problem is I like them all so for me there is no right or wrong as long as you love hunting .

My favorite might not be the next guys choice ,but if proper shot placement is applied then who is wrong . Really no one.

Just having fun also.

CHEERS
JD
Old 01-22-2023, 08:29 PM

Haha.

Sure, if you like burning 10% more powder to achieve less than 5% increase in velocity (which is already plenty from the 30.06 for kills to 500yds, conservatively) while enduring marginally higher recoil with the 7mm. Diminishing returns.

Magazine capacity and component availability also go to the 30.06 over the 7mm. Not to mention that the 30.06 tends to be matched with 22 rather than 24 inch tubes, which tend to carry more easily.

Honestly, the 7mm rem is a fine cartridge. I’m looking to build a custom 7mm rem mag, but it will in no way replace my 30.06.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Haha.

Sure, if you like burning 10% more powder to achieve less than 5% increase in velocity (which is already plenty from the 30.06 for kills to 500yds, conservatively) while enduring marginally higher recoil with the 7mm. Diminishing returns.

Magazine capacity and component availability also go to the 30.06 over the 7mm. Not to mention that the 30.06 tends to be matched with 22 rather than 24 inch tubes, which tend to carry more easily.

Honestly, the 7mm rem is a fine cartridge. I’m looking to build a custom 7mm rem mag, but it will in no way replace my 30.06.
I think it’s way to subjective of a question to answer.

To some people, money is not as much of concern, 10% more powder doesn’t matter as much when you have lots.
To some people, weight doesn’t matter as much simply based on style of hunting.
To some people the increased velocity is worth a lot even if it means spending a bit more.
To some people, recoil isn’t a concern and most may not even notice a difference.
As was mentioned, everyone is at a different level of fitness and age which prioritizes different things.
There’s nothing wrong with either cartridges obviously, but I don’t think it’s fair to say the 06 is a better choice.
However I must say this thread was quite entertaining to read! Lots of different opinions, which I think is because everyone has different needs for what their rifle needs to accomplish and everyone has different things their willing to trade for slight benefits.
I don’t think it’s realistic at all to narrow down to one cartridge/caliber.
But I think a common top 5 is achievable.
My 0.02

Last edited by 270hunter; 01-22-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:19 PM

I will play along too.

It seems to me that the perfect all-around cartridge for Alberta is one that will push 140-150 grain Barnes somewhere between 2600 ft./s and 3000 ft./s. Anything more than that is probably a waste under reasonable normal shooting conditions. Anything less than that and you are limited. That cartridge is able to take the biggest animals we have here if you make a good shot. There is no cartridge that can make up for making a good shot.
So then it comes down to caliber, really .308 calibre does it easier than 6.5 ,.270 or 7 mm. Ballistic coefficient really means very little under normal shooting distances, and conditions with that weight of bullet. let’s face it, 300 yards is reasonable and 400 yards is plenty.
To me that pretty well narrows us down to somewhere between the 303 and 30-06. The extra recoil of the 7 rem mag offers no increase in performance worth talking about with that bullet.
So, really, the 308 Winchester, does it best. Least amount of recoil to push the 150 grain Barnes close to 3000 ft./s. And short action too if that matters.
For what it’s worth, I own a lot of different guns, chambered for a bunch of different cartridges from the 204 ruger up to the 338 lapua AI. I do not own a 308 Winchester. My son bought one a couple of years ago and I have come to realize it’s a terrific choice. It is not a stretch to say that if it was invented in 2023 it would be considered a modern miracle for hunting North America and the world.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[url=https://postimages.org/
[/url]
All it needs is a new updated marketing campaign and it will be the sexiest new cartridge out there!
Old 01-22-2023, 11:54 PM

308 Win gets my vote. Have used this cal. for game and targets (under 400M) for close to sixty years and never felt it let me down. I also shoot some wildcats that are easy to tune for accuracy but for overall function, the 08 is pretty good.