Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
There is a multiple times more tikka users than model 70 users
As far as people preferring controlled round feeds
There is probably 10x as many sakos out there being used that model 70’s

I have been to 1 location where a 30/06 has been a camp rifle
Everywhere else, it is a 300 win
I’ve never gone on a hunt where a 30/06 is suggested

Meat wastage is a result of 3 things, bullet construction, velocity, and shot placement. All of these can be altered dramatically with a 300 win mag. You can’t do the same with a 375. A 375 shooting soft points is going to make an absolute mess on anything it hits. And it’s going to have very disappointing penetration as well. Choosing the wrong bullet would also make your 375 pretty useless against a grizzly.
Give me a break. Mark the Model 70 has been around for over 100 years. The 20-06 trots the globe still. With great success. I have a globe trotting friend that just had a $15,000 rifle built for such purposes. Chambered in 30-06. Your view is myopic.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Give me a break. Mark the Model 70 has been around for over 100 years. The 20-06 trots the globe still. With great success. I have a globe trotting friend that just had a $15,000 rifle built for such purposes. Chambered in 30-06. Your view is myopic.
My view is what I see from doing these hunts
Personally
Old 01-14-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
My view is what I see from doing these hunts
Personally
Mark. That is great. You are seeing a VERY small percentage of hunters. But you are right. They are out there. I’ve already told this story, but this same friend with the 06 was just hunting Ibex. He made the comment that he was certainly mocked by the others that were hunting with their new cartridge Hubble scoped clone wizz bangers. Until he shot the biggest Ibex at the furthest distance. By a significant margin. He said that they didn’t have much to say after that.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:15 PM

At this point in my life give me a fast twist 6mm/6.5 something with powder charge under 50 grains and call it good. Did the magnum thing for many, many years and do not see the benefit at all anymore.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:02 PM

35 years into this hobby and dozens of cartridges later, I've come full circle back to a rem 700 30-06 as my primary gun. Couldn't be happier.
Was it fun, you bet it was! A little greyer now, and hopefully a little wiser too, have come to realize the lowly odd-6 is just right in so many ways.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Anything to upgrade and improve the basic rifle that you would buy
Not as many triggers to choose from
Not as many stocks are inletted for them
Etc

I know of maybe 1-2 guys that use a Winchester 70
I know at least 10x as many that use a tikka
Far far more use a 700 based rifle
Soooooo?? why not just buy a Sako/Tikka and be done? Rather then, let's buy a modular rifle so we can swap out parts, so some day we might?? own a real rifle. The "there is a sucker born everyday" manufactures LOVE Remington's.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:21 AM

That’s the part I could never understand. Buy a rifle that needs 17 upgrades and call it the best because of all the possible upgrades.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:54 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Soooooo?? why not just buy a Sako/Tikka and be done? Rather then, let's buy a modular rifle so we can swap out parts, so some day we might?? own a real rifle. The "there is a sucker born everyday" manufactures LOVE Remington's.
And you don't own any of these custom after market based 700's?

Quote:
That’s the part I could never understand. Buy a rifle that needs 17 upgrades and call it the best because of all the possible upgrades.
You like your custom model 70's also, what's not to like in a CRF based hunting rifle?

I wasn't going to wade into this discussion, but lots of us like to upgrade a variety of manufacturers rifles to improve performance for use in specific disciplines and/or to personalize for fit or suit to taste, either doing it ourselves if you are able or inclined or by a Gunsmith/Rifle builder.
Remington and Savage after market parts are the easiest to acquire, likely for the simple fact of greater number of factory sales of both, making them attractive for after market enterprises.
Also, there are a lot of high end custom actions based on that " sucker born every minute" M700 foot print, based partly on that reason and the design works.

As far as overall cartridge I would think the 30- 06 fills that niche quite well taking into consideration a number of variables, available makes and models, ammo choices, etc. Difficult to pin down to one, with so many to choose from according to one's personal opinion or view point.

Sure seems to get people riled up.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:30 AM

Default I’m a 270W guy

I shot a 25-06 for many years, till the barrel got shot out. At the time the next gun in my cabinet was a 270W. Last weekend I was with a friend on an elk cow hunt near Grande Prairie and he shot a cow broadside front 410 yds (ranged, 270W as well, 130gr SST), and it took out both front shoulders, broke the bone both sides that’s under the blade. Which caused the unfortunate loss of both front shoulders cuz the cow thrashed for too long causing massive hemorrhaging in there.

How much more power does one really need?
Old 01-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Out to 500 yards it really isn’t going to matter much. Bullet choice is of far greater concern if you are worried about killing something.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:00 AM

300wm for me.

Coyote to bull moose has fallen to it over the last couple seasons
Old 01-16-2023, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Mark. That is great. You are seeing a VERY small percentage of hunters. But you are right. They are out there. I’ve already told this story, but this same friend with the 06 was just hunting Ibex. He made the comment that he was certainly mocked by the others that were hunting with their new cartridge Hubble scoped clone wizz bangers. Until he shot the biggest Ibex at the furthest distance. By a significant margin. He said that they didn’t have much to say after that.
Thats good for your friend but that doesnt prove anything
He was presented with the longest shot at the largest animal, has nothing to do with the cartridge be brought. He just made the shot when it counted
What ever a 30/06 can do, a 300 win can do better
In camps all around the world, you will find 300 win ammo more readily available.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lots of guys use tikka action for semi customs
More use tikka actions than winchesters
If you want a commercially available modular rifle then get a blazer. This is going to be the next big thing in the firearm industry. Modular rifles so you dont need to have 5 guns in your safe, Just one and swap barrels.

The only company that is making significant design improvements regarding actions is gunwerks. Their new rifle is a totally performance driven design. And guess what, it has modular barrels too. It will be interesting when they finally start shipping them, how they perform.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Thats good for your friend but that doesnt prove anything
He was presented with the longest shot at the largest animal, has nothing to do with the cartridge be brought. He just made the shot when it counted
What ever a 30/06 can do, a 300 win can do better
In camps all around the world, you will find 300 win ammo more readily available.
Exactly! No one’s ability or success, as a general rule, is based on whether or not they are shooting a particular cartridge.

Let’s look at his success another way. Maybe, just maybe, the outfitter looked at him and his gear and he got the best guide assignment. Perhaps the PRC crowd didn’t appeal to their confidence as much.

I’m not knocking the 300. I’ve hunted with it quite successfully. I have a late friend that used it almost exclusively around the globe with one. He even took a couple of Cape Buffalo with it. Zero fanfare. But he confided in me at one point that the 300 was too much of a good thing. He was tiring of its recoil and all but went back to a 270.

The Weatherby Award winners? 300 magnums, 7MM magnums, 270’s and 30-06’s are very common as their primary battery for the worlds thin skinned game.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:24 PM

I was feeling smug about my recent project; a pre 64 Win 30’06 featherweight with a Brown precision stock. I now feel somewhat deflated.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I was feeling smug about my recent project; a pre 64 Win 30’06 featherweight with a Brown precision stock. I now feel somewhat deflated.
NO NO NO don't be deflated because of what others think, how do you feel your project ??? bet it makes you smile

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:35 PM

Actually it does make me smile. Now if I could only find a pre 64 featherweight in 270 win I’d make a matching pair.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol deflated for about 5 min
Then you go and look at all those moose horns and it all goes away lol
Old 01-16-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Smart marketing I'd think. Look how many people buy into the modular upgrades on the crap Tikka synthetic stocks, upgrade the bottom and bolt shroud plastic to metal, go to AICS mags, upgrade the factory recoil pads, etc. The aftermarket for Tikka rifles is massive.

Must be something good about those Rem actions tho considering how many higher end factory rifle brands and customs use them. One of the most accurate rifles I've owned/own is an older Rem 700 BDL with a simple bedding job to tune things in, and the 2 BDL 7RM's I've owned were both vg shooters.. The two least accurate out of the box rifles I've ever owned were a Win model 70 and a Browning. Gag worthy quite honestly. Will never own another of either.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
You should be. :-)

I know where there is almost exactly what describe above in 280 Remington (Brown Precision stock and all) that the owner is on the fence about selling.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You should be. :-)

I know where there is almost exactly what describe above in 280 Remington (Brown Precision stock and all) that the owner is on the fence about selling.
Already have three 280’s, I’d still be interested in another.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
And you don't own any of these custom after market based 700's?

You like your custom model 70's also, what's not to like in a CRF based hunting rifle?

I wasn't going to wade into this discussion, but lots of us like to upgrade a variety of manufacturers rifles to improve performance for use in specific disciplines and/or to personalize for fit or suit to taste, either doing it ourselves if you are able or inclined or by a Gunsmith/Rifle builder.
Remington and Savage after market parts are the easiest to acquire, likely for the simple fact of greater number of factory sales of both, making them attractive for after market enterprises.
Also, there are a lot of high end custom actions based on that " sucker born every minute" M700 foot print, based partly on that reason and the design works.

As far as overall cartridge I would think the 30- 06 fills that niche quite well taking into consideration a number of variables, available makes and models, ammo choices, etc. Difficult to pin down to one, with so many to choose from according to one's personal opinion or view point.

Sure seems to get people riled up.

As a matter of fact I do. I bought them all cheap from guys who were disillusioned with their Lego rifles. PS not a damn one of them shoot much if any better then some of my off the shelf Sako's or Tikka's.
LOL Ya try hanging a Trigger Teck Diamond off your SPS Rem 700 foot print action.(See how well that works .. ooh ya it doesn't because the actions are so crooked TT will not warranty the trigger)
Plus when you go to sell your tricked out rem 700 action you will get SPS prices. With a Sako or any other High end rifle you will get a premium price and older is even better.

Yes some people do get riled up and spend a bunch of money and still, never quite get to the finish line.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 01-19-2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:36 AM

I like my Rem 700 7mm mag BDL.

Rated for 900 to 1100 yds

Flat shooting

I shoot 175gr pp

With BDC scope it’s deadly

I will lend to partners

Even the US secret service use them

Bullet cost and a ability to buy any where

When u see the bullet in n out on a pump house shot

There is no such thing as over kill .. dead is dead

It’s been feeding my family since 1982

Main gun for me

It’s a love story.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 431E70E1-2DB4-48CD-B032-952F647EFEFC.jpg (42.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 50DF78D9-179F-4AB8-8212-246737C05DD1.jpg (34.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:13 AM

I'm not sure why we can't stick to the question asked. The op is concerned about a possible grizz attack while hunting sheep. Or is it another thread that I read. No one ever wants to get into that situation but it's always the roll of a dice. I currently shoot a 5.5 pound 300 wsm with 200 grain bullets. Even at that I would not want to have to face a grizz. You can shoot your 7-08 or 270 or whatever all day but for me if I'm facing a grizz heaven forbid I want a heavy bullet with a decent speed. And to those that say the wsm doesn't feed well I highly doubt it. Have had several & not one had a feeding problem.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:29 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do. I bought them all cheap from guys who were disillusioned with their Lego rifles. PS not a damn one of them shoot much if any better then some of my off the shelf Sako's or Tikka's.
LOL Ya try hanging a Trigger Teck Diamond off your SPS Rem 700 foot print action.(See how well that works .. ooh ya it doesn't because the actions are so crooked TT will not warranty the trigger)
Plus when you go to sell your tricked out rem 700 action you will get SPS prices. With a Sako or any other High end rifle you will get a premium price and older is even better.

Yes some people do get riled up and spend a bunch of money and still, never quite get to the finish line.
Speak for yourself.
Trigger Tech states in BOLD on the website the Diamond is FOR CLONES ONLY fair warning for use on stock factory 700's, it's got nothing to do with being crooked lol.
It's the cocking piece, that doesn't mean they DON'T work, they won't warranty them if they won't work on factory actions.
Comparing Sako's and an SPS is kind of apples/oranges.
You basically called anyone who added some aftermarket parts to a 700 a "sucker" and inferred they were too stupid to buy a real rifle.
I was just pointing out the obvious, you own some also, if your going to throw insults around, expect a rebuttal.
That SPS stainless in 7-08 you bought off me, how's that working?
If you'd care to discuss this any further, you know how to contact me.

Last edited by DLab; 01-20-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I'm not sure why we can't stick to the question asked. The op is concerned about a possible grizz attack while hunting sheep. Or is it another thread that I read. No one ever wants to get into that situation but it's always the roll of a dice. I currently shoot a 5.5 pound 300 wsm with 200 grain bullets. Even at that I would not want to have to face a grizz. You can shoot your 7-08 or 270 or whatever all day but for me if I'm facing a grizz heaven forbid I want a heavy bullet with a decent speed. And to those that say the wsm doesn't feed well I highly doubt it. Have had several & not one had a feeding problem.
When the WSM's first camecout there were some feeding issues but I think it had more to do with the rifles themselves not the cartridge.
As far as grizzlies ( or any other critter ) charges go I would much rather have a rifle in my hands that i am totally familier with and shoot accurately quickly than a rifle I cannot shoot well. I firmly believe that the cartridge itself is not as important as putting the bullet where it belongs
Cat
Old 01-20-2023, 11:14 AM

I expect trends have changed over the years, but, wasn't that long ago that depending on which continent you were on, a 7x57, 8x57, 308, 30-06, 303 were the most popular cartridges in bolt actions, and a 98 Mauser based action, be it a genuine one or a knockoff, Brno's, CZ, the American ones such as the pre64 model 70 and also the Enfield. Only maybe 1980-90 or so that the 700 started getting used heavily for "custom" guns because it was cheaper than the pre64 model 70 to use, and the 98's cheap surplus supply had nearly dried up. Up until the 90's or so, an African or Asian or Aussie big game hunt wasn't within reach of the mass amount of people they've had since then. 300WM certainly overtook the 300H&H, but, strangely enough, still 300H&H ammo around on shelves every year. And the 375H&H is around on every continent except maybe S America, being as there is no big stuff to hunt there.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Speak for yourself.
Trigger Tech states in BOLD on the website the Diamond is FOR CLONES ONLY fair warning for use on stock factory 700's, it's got nothing to do with being crooked lol.
It's the cocking piece, that doesn't mean they DON'T work, they won't warranty them if they won't work on factory actions.
Comparing Sako's and an SPS is kind of apples/oranges.
You basically called anyone who added some aftermarket parts to a 700 a "sucker" and inferred they were too stupid to buy a real rifle.
I was just pointing out the obvious, you own some also, if your going to throw insults around, expect a rebuttal.
That SPS stainless in 7-08 you bought off me, how's that working?
If you'd care to discuss this any further, you know how to contact me.

Nice work.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:12 AM

Let’s try and keep the personal insults out of this thread . And stick to the topic the OP asked about please . Some of you guys are going way off into the bushes on this one .
Old 01-21-2023, 08:20 AM

There is nothing a 30-06 does that a 300 wm can’t do better.