Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 PM

Default Crown land near Calgary to sight in rifle?

Looking for a place to sight in the rifle near calgary before heading out for the season. Does anybody know of a good spot on crown land that would be safe to shoot up to 100-150 yards? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:30 AM

download ihunter, get a county map for the area around calgary and head west and find a spot
Old 09-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Smile

You could go out to the trunk road and go down the TransAlta road (Township 270B) and follow the gun shoots to the popular shooting area.

Hunting season is in full swing now and there are lots of recreational users out there. If you plan on shooting there, know your backdrop, be considerate of others, and pick up any litter even if its not yours. Joining a gun range is still the best option.

Safe shooting

-J.Paul Getty
Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 AM

just go to Brooks and buy a fish and game membership, they have a nice little range out to 300 yards. ITs only 1.5 hours from SE Calgary to. Drumheller also has a range but I have never been to it.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:21 AM

DITTO on what EXOS said
Drummheller , or Brooks

I live in Cochrane and I hate going west, it’s busy with Side by sides , and dirt bikers

Buy a range pass
Old 09-24-2020, 01:49 PM

How does the range pass work? I looked into gun ranges near Calgary and from what I understood all of them had a waitlist to get a membership and they only take in members once a year upon board approval.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-Hunter1 View Post
How does the range pass work? I looked into gun ranges near Calgary and from what I understood all of them had a waitlist to get a membership and they only take in members once a year upon board approval.
For Brooks and Drumheller (last I looked into it) all you had to do was go buy a fish and game membership for their town and you got access to the gun range. For Brooks, I always buy it from the sports store in Brooks, pay my $60 cash and get my little card with the gate combination on it and away I go.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
For Brooks and Drumheller (last I looked into it) all you had to do was go buy a fish and game membership for their town and you got access to the gun range. For Brooks, I always buy it from the sports store in Brooks, pay my $60 cash and get my little card with the gate combination on it and away I go.
Oh okay thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:44 AM

I feel for you guys near the large centres. Must suck not having anywhere to shoot.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-27-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I feel for you guys near the large centres. Must suck not having anywhere to shoot.
What also sucks is where they shoot. Cleaning up the mess they leave is unreal, not all people from the city are pigs but I see Enuguf of it that there are lots. I have seen shooters show up to shoot where there is already garbage an they just shoot an leave.

Tags
crown land, hunting, range, rifle, sighting in a rifle