Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2023, 01:47 PM

Default New gun/reloading/archery room setup ideas.

So, we are building a new shack. Probably be moving in around the end of March. I’ve got a much better space carved out for my pastimes in the new digs. I’ve been playing with a few different orientations and have found several that could work just fine.

In the attached image, the closet is framed in and part of the room already. Everything else is yet to be built/added as far as benches etc.

I’ll have my arrow saw and fletching centre in there. All hand loading goodies. The room itself will serve as lockable storage for the guns. Not sure if I necessarily want to move the safes in there or not. I won’t share the details on a public forum but good luck getting in without several hours of time invested. There’s four 6” pocket lights. 9’ finished ceiling height. Probably went a bit over on the power outlets but I didn’t want to be left wanting or adding power bars if I could avoid it.

Anyway, if you have any ideas or suggestions, I’m all ears and open to feedback be it positive or negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2023, 02:31 PM

If this is in the basement I would frame in some insulated storage low on an exterior wall for powder.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:39 PM

A friend of mine built his room with a 3’x4’ table/bench in the middle of the room so he has access from all Sides for cleaning guns, working with brass and reloading equipment. He still has his shotshell and Dillion press mounted to benches along the side walls. This Center Table is heavy that it won’t get pushed around when using. If I did it again this would be apart of the plan.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:23 PM

I would make your benches 30” wide over 24”.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:48 PM

Lighting and still even more lighting. You can never have enough.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:19 PM

My two cents:

I suggest making your benches higher than the old standard counter height. I stand at mine. I did some ergonomics training years ago at work and we rebuilt all our heavy steel work benches to about 3-4” below elbow height for most people.
Much easier on the lower back.

Run a string of electrical outlets under the lip of the workbench, not behind. You won’t have cords dangling on the bench…

You can’t have too much cupboard or shelf space.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:44 PM

my shack is 12x20. barely big enough; but big enough if you set it up efficiently.
12x10 corner bench 34” high; 22” deep. plenty deep to store daily tools on and not so deep you lose stuff at the back. 9’ of husky bottom cabs with castors off for drawer storage on opposite wall. a 40” husky under one corner where the cleaning area is.
horseshoe of cabinets on 3 walls; 4’ then 12’ then 8’ on the other side. 16” deep by 24” tall; 10” off the ceiling (8’)
60” wide floor to ceiling with shelf standards and shelves spaced accordingly for components. will be enough if i keep selling extras.....
putting up 4’ led lights 20” out from the wall as we speak. bought 10 pack together off scamazon that can be linked. very impressed so far

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:37 PM

IMHO, you should make your bench more than 2 feet deep. My first bench was 2 feet deep, and I found I never had enough room. My new bench is 30 inches deep. And I love it!

Old 01-28-2023, 10:07 AM

Here is what I did when I did my basement in my last house

Sheets of 3/4 plywood’s under drywall for both security and sound. Glue and screw! Insulation in all walls.

Lots of cross bracing between studs in known locations for future shelving / hooks

Soundproof drywall. Double layer facing TV room.

Exterior windowless door with deadbolt. Door frame seriously attached to framing, which was 2x8 for that wall between my room and rest of basement.

Key code lock on door so you don’t have to find a key every time you want to go in.

Safes in a closet. Closet walls also 2x8 framing with cross braces of 6x6 that were attached to concrete. Safes bolted to floor and 6x6 on 2 sides and then frames in with 4x4 so you can’t get a pry bar on it. Was a nightmare to remove when I moved!

Dedicated wood / brass hardware storage for powder / primers to meet regs

Storage with heavy shelving to store loaded ammo and projectile boxes.

Sturdy counters, particularly for reloading bench.

Make sure you also had a “desk” area you can sit at and put feet under counter for detailed work.

Moveable table for firearms cleaning in middle of room. It’s amazing how much space you need cleaning something with a long barrel and long cleaning rod.

Cheap flooring that you can easily replace. Think Lino with ergo mats if you want to stand long times.

Take pics of construction if you intend to claim it as “safe storage” to prove the build if ever questioned.

If you’ve got a window that’s the hardest thing to secure. If the room is ever planned for permanent occupancy it needs one of a certain size for escape. I installed a commercial shatterproof window that I could bar shut from inside and then had security film applied to both sides of the glass.

I know. Overkill but the guy I had doing my basement was awesome and had done similar rooms for other guys I the past. We shared the same philosophy of wood / glue / screws are cheap in the long run.