Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2flopro View Post
What should i have on hand medical supplies?

What are the must haves on the trail?

Trailer suggestions?
vet wrap
betadine
poultice for hoof abscess (keep a few on hand and have duct tape around for putting it on)
bute
exenel if you find a vet that will sell you some
honey for smaller wounds
wormer

Get your PID#

Last edited by MountainTi; 03-31-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:00 PM
Banned

Well, I think most of us can now breathe easier now, knowing that we are not having to deal with a tenderfoot....at least i will....

Thank you d2flopro for FINALLY clearing the air...lol
Old 03-31-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Well, I think most of us can now breathe easier now, knowing that we are not having to deal with a tenderfoot....at least i will....

Thank you d2flopro for FINALLY clearing the air...lol
I really like the Corb Lund song, because I can identify with it, like a lot of other Horse Husbands.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-31-2022, 10:08 PM

Best of luck and have fun. Sounds like your organized.
If you start packing learn to throw a diamond hitch and don't shank him to a tree with a hornets nest.... don't ask , Ha
Old 03-31-2022, 10:47 PM

Trailers it depends on what you need and what your budget is.
We have a little southland 2 horse great solid little trailer but not the lightest and mid range price.
We also have a four horse living quarters featherlight. Hands down a great trailer fit and finish is top of the line pulls easy light for its size but if you are going to be pulling into rougher spots does not have a lot of clearance and have replaced a few sewer dump valves because of it. Also not cheap but they do seem to hold there value well.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:28 AM

There are a hundred things to consider before buying a trailer. I like 8' wide by 7' high trailers but they have more wind drag and are tougher to back up as most light trucks don't have mirrors that are wide enough to see around the back of the trailer. Nose to tail, I can get 8 good sized horses with saddles in a 20' trailer.

I also like open stock trailers but the guys I travel with don't tolerate kicking, squealing, biting horses. If travelling with a horse that is going to try and cripple anything beside it, dividers are a good idea.

If you have dividers, a ramp prevents your horse's back feet from sliding under the trailer when backing out in icy conditions.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-02-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2flopro View Post

What should i have on hand medical supplies?

What are the must haves on the trail?

Trailer suggestions?

I keep some Swat on hand and Transmission fluid for small cuts. You'll be surprised how quick a cut will scab up with transmission fluid. Also reduces scarring.

On the trail i keep a hoof pick, vet wrap and duct tape in the saddle bag. Good horsemanship and lots of time put in at home will put the confidence in the horse before you hit trail. Miles in the saddle will develop that relationship with your horse and keep you from needing those emergency items on the trail.

Horse trailers are mostly preference. I use a 3 horse bumper pull with dividers, mostly because it's what i could afford at the time. My preference would be an 18'-20' gooseneck stock trailer with tack room. The bumper pull is nice to have the room in the box for hay when going out for a week. Having the gooseneck with the weight over the rear axle is nice when driving out on icy roads in the mountains.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
It appears that the OP is a troll but incase anyone else is looking at this thread to try to learn something, check out Pat Puckett on you tube. I think he has the right blend of "don't get crippled" and "get something done".
You can't beat Pat. A really common sense guy to watch and better guy to talk to.

Tags
backcountry, horse, horse packing, hunting, sheep hunting