Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Ram River Heli Trip?

Anyone have experience with this trip? I’ve used the same outfit to go up to Landslide Lake years ago and have no complaints.

Mostly just wondering how the fishing is. Where do they fly you exactly and is there no other way in? The website boasts “Trophy Cutthroat”

Would love to head up this year if anyone has some advice.

Thanks in advance. Good luck this year, everybody.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Go for a walk. Easy hike to get to the main canyon sections where they'd drop you off.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:17 AM

HI,

I did it around three years ago with a company called Hansons. Three of us went up. It was a great experience (I had actually never been in a chopper!)

One big advantage i found was being able to bring in your tent, food, coolers and beer right to your campsite. Three of us shared the cost. We fished up from the campsite on the day we arrived and down the next day. We caught countless fish although conditions were not ideal. It was September but there was some snow on the ground and a little cold so the dry fly fishing was not great. We flew in at around 9am and out the following day at 6pm.

I cant remember cost but i believe it was a flat rate plus a rate depending on the weight of gear you bring. I think beer made up most of our weight!

Yes i see here you can walk in but if you have a few $ to spend i think the heli trip is a great way to do it.

We didn't catch any huge fish. Probably max 2lbs. Mostly on nymphs.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Which river North or South Ram
Old 05-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Which river North or South Ram
I think the canyon they fly you into is on the south river but to be honest, I’m not too familiar with that area. I’m looking to explore it this season.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:23 PM

The fly in section is on the South Ram
Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Where do you hike from? I just checked a couple of sites for pricing. One said to call for pricing and doesn't charge extra for your cargo. The other site seemed to have reasonable prices but charges per pound for cargo and has landing fees and taxes and such. I think I'd equally enjoy hiking or flying in. Either way sounds like a great time.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 AM

I've been in there quite a few times. Excellent fishing..nothing huge but lots of action. The Falls are nice as well.

Make sure you know the water condition as even with a rain it can get murky. It would be a shame to fly in and then the fishing is poor at best. All in all the Cline River Heli-Base is the outfit to use.

All in all even with extra charges the Rockies Heli Tours will come out cheaper than the other outfit.