Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Magpies are sure funny

I was doing some work in the back yard and I left a blob of white silicone on the concrete. I’ll be damned if I didn’t wake up the next morning to see 5 magpies in a circle “taking turns” trying to grab it. It kept them busy for about 20 minutes.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:05 AM

hmmm I have some big rubber worms, should glue a bunch to my trees for some entertainment!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-20-2020, 11:13 AM

You can have mine the young ones are out hopping around the parents are squawking and dive bombing the wife got some hair pulled that nest is coming down.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:25 AM

I have a real nice brand new .25cal Benjamin pistol grip rifle with a good scope for sale if you want Bat

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have a real nice brand new .25cal Benjamin pistol grip rifle with a good scope for sale if you want Bat
Oh how I wish just don't want to do hard time over a stupid bird going to Rona for 3 lengths of 3/4" conduit for the eviction.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Oh how I wish just don't want to do hard time over a stupid bird going to Rona for 3 lengths of 3/4" conduit for the eviction.
You can make a air rifle quieter with 3/4" conduit lol

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-20-2020, 12:40 PM

I “know” On good authority that subsonic Ammo is pretty quite.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:08 PM

cb's too, but air rifles are better

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 06-20-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
cb's too, but air rifles are better

Do you know where a guy could pick some of these up in Edm? I've been keeping an eye open for them but haven't run across them.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:28 PM

I have a love hate relationship with Magpies. They sure don't mind waiting on the fence and cleaning up a hot steamer every morning when the dogs are let out HOWEVER one of the fat bastards swooped my older dog (who's got some cataracts and can't see well) so it was game on.

A well placed .177 fixed that particular Magpie. It was funny as he just went totally rag doll and flopped dead - one clean little pellet hole - a lucky shot - right in the neck.

The rest of them are pretty smart and behave. The first one who gets frisky is gonna get some too. Hopefully my shot will be as good. Tough to get better than an inch or so with that pellet gun even at 10-15 yards. Seems after they get 20 yards the pellets are less consistent (or maybe it's me).

Love and hate.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:33 PM

Interesting how a fellow posts up that magpies are funny and nearly everyone else wants to shoot them.
They are highly intelligent, pretty, talk in dialogue and clean the yard better than any other bird.
Never understood the hate for them other than ranchers when we had warbles and the pies would literally dig a hole in a bovine.
Probably my all time favorite bird or at least in the top 5.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Interesting how a fellow posts up that magpies are funny and nearly everyone else wants to shoot them.
They are highly intelligent, pretty, talk in dialogue and clean the yard better than any other bird.
Never understood the hate for them other than ranchers when we had warbles and the pies would literally dig a hole in a bovine.
Quite frankly, until he swooped my dog, they were safe and fun to have around. But when they become jerks like that - they are precipitating a reaction from me. They still come around, and they are safe, as long as they behave. Just like any other wild animal.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
My hate for them is a combination of their racket and observing them raid the nests of desirable songbirds. That and pecking the eyes out of some newborn bunnies before killing them, that was not something I appreciated. Cute to some, nuisance to others. I only get out the magpie trap when they get out of hand, I don’t set it regularly. If they’re reasonable, so am I.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I like them too although I’ve shot my fair share too. I always think that if they were rare and in a pet store folks would lay hundreds for them.
Like you say, they’re super smart, can talk, can think for sure and love ****ing off cats and dogs. Too bad they’re so hard on the song birds, so are squirrels I guess.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:39 PM

If something doesn't keep the songbirds in check then there would be way too many of the little darlings. A minute ago I had 24 birds at the feeder outside my window and a magpie 20 feet away.
I've also dispatched more than a few but I certainly don't make it my number 1 plan.
If ya all think about it the magpie saves ya money by taking a few song birds as ya won't have so many free loading at the feeder.
Speaking of which is it OK to shoot woodpeckers cause them sons of guns are taking sunflower seeds by the mouthful from the feeder. Got them from 4 inch's long to 2 feet.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:47 PM

I save money by not having a feeder at all! I used to years ago, I stopped caring and the birds are still around anyways.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:11 PM

they used to tease my inlaws malamute when they lived next door, and knew to the fraction inch how long his chain was. I got tired of them picking on him and added a couple feet of chain one night.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-20-2020, 09:15 PM

I bought 2 40lb bags of sunflower seeds at pv mart today, and a wire dog cage I am turning into a magpie trap.

I have saved a few baby songbirds in the last little while, sparrows and magpies are the target of choice.