Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Default mushroom people?

so i started out hunting and ended up with a backpack full of mushrooms. the squirrels where eating some so i took some pictures to see if anyone could identify them. first type redish top white gills found a couple in trees that squirrels had taken up.

next is more of a button shape yellowish orange tops white gills

lastly these are boletus but all are yellow with yellow pores except one with red brown top and white pours.
are yellow or red ones the same to eat??

this rain in kananaskas country has made an mushroom mecca, is there any other ones to look for to eat? or to stay clear of ??i am quite interested.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 AM

I wouldn't eat any mushrooms unless you are 500% certain. My guess is your first mushroom is the Russula Emetica especially if squirrels were eating them.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM

The gilled mushrooms you picked seem to be different species of Russula genus. The yellow cap "boletus" is a kind of Suillus. The red top is a kind of Leccinum.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

These are all just guesses! With these types of mushrooms there are many similar species, it takes more info and research to be sure.

First photo, Russalas, red/pink are likely Emetica, the darker purple brown MAY be Xerampelina (SHRIMP). Take a little bite, nibble on the tip of your tongue and spit. Emetica will be peppery, toss those ones. The Shrimp are Good!

The next set could be Grisettes of some type. I don't know, not enough details provided.

Last set, the yellow ones are possibly Suillus grevillea ( Larch Bolete), edible but must remove the skin.

The gem could be the brownish red bolete.
That might be a KING!

Raw Outdoors, you are absolutely right that early to mid September in Kananaskis on a wet year is an amazing time to see mushrooms in Kananaskis. I recall years where it is impossible to take a step without stepping on one or three.

As you are interested, the best thing you can do is get some guidebooks and learn how to identify these mushrooms yourself. There are many good eating mushrooms growing out there right now. As you did, pick samples (learn how to pick "better" samples) and take them home for an ID. The next time you go out, you know what to keep or to kick.

A few other great mushrooms to look out for right now in Kananaskis are Hawkwing, Hedgehogs and Man on Horseback. The Hawks are all over, but there are a couple of species, one bitter and one nutty, takes time to figure out which is which. The Little Piggies are in the moss down low. Big yellow Horsebacks are on the game trail right at treeline.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-11-2019, 02:11 PM

I would love to get out and pick some with somebody that knows what they are doing. Say a mushroom education walk. Anyone be interested in getting together ?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The gem could be the brownish red bolete.
That might be a KING!
Did you find any King boletes in Alberta? The stalk looks Leccinum'ish
Old 09-11-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I would love to get out and pick some with somebody that knows what they are doing. Say a mushroom education walk. Anyone be interested in getting together ?
PM'd, in addition to this website, Alberta Mycological Society (wildmushrooms.ws) is another option.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM

The ones in the pictures look all eatable. Boil them for 20 min, then fry with onions. Delicious!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 AM

Reds are a russula, good to eat,
But you gotta be sure the steam has a shade of pink on them.
If the stem is all white, it’s a bad one, if ur not sure, take a weenie nibble of a pink one, and a weenie nibble of a white one, white one will be very bitter.
And start spitting, no harm.

TBark