Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Default 101 of calling Wolves

The art of calling wolves is like any calling , make the right sound and they will come too you

I have called wolves for over 40 years by hand and elk calls

If your in wolf country and you want to see who’s listening try a call at night/morning

If they are in listening distance you may get a answer if your howling (calm day )

Remember wolves are very territorial and will and do protect their area

They will send a scout or 3 to check out threats

I have got wolves coming in a group of 3 twice in 6 days and got 2 out of 3 each time

I have called at night and evening and had them show up next morning in the exact spot I call

I have watched them crossing a mill cut .. then called and turned them to come to me

With in 20minutes they were all around us .. black out front .. gray to left

When you throw in a call of a elk in distress they are coming to investigate

Always be ready for the other predators too .. Grizzly/Black Bear/Cougar/Coyote

This calling of the bigger predators is not for the faint of heart … your neck hair will stand when they howl close

Fresh tracks / hearing them howl is the time too use this .. remember to be quite and watch wind if any

When you shoot something some times you may hear a howl in distance .. give them a howl n be ready

Most times when they come in they are very close before they show them selves (25yds to 50yds)

If you like the thrill of the hunt then this is the best you can get

When The Hunter becomes the Hunted

David :-}

Ps pm if you want more info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolf 1.jpg (97.7 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg Wolf 2.jpg (106.5 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg wolves 3.jpg (41.5 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg 075_zpsb747bfd6.jpg (119.7 KB, 471 views)
Old 09-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Thanks for this. I’ve been enjoying your input on wolves for years.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the tips, when you set up to call are you typically on the ground watching a cut line or clearing or are you in the thick stuff?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Awesome post once again, thanks for sharing. I dream of one day getting a wolf of my own.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Great info. I’d love to get a wolf one day.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
Great info. I’d love to get a wolf one day.
If you put your mind to it, it can be done.

Grizz
Old 09-09-2019, 12:54 AM

I am in a ground blind ..wood and sticks natural .. if wind in my face ..mill cuts in front .. also on a edge near a pipeline .. at a lake corner always having the wind in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
Thanks for the tips, when you set up to call are you typically on the ground watching a cut line or clearing or are you in the thick stuff?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 059_zpsf8e888f5.jpg (108.1 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 054_zps3c938111.jpg (53.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Great post! Regarding the wind, predators almost always come in down wind, it’s a rare set up that can force them to come otherwise. In my limited experience having an open area downwind woks.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Awesome info, thanks for posting. Had a chance at 1 last year but I was too slow on the gun.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Default wolf

Few years back called in 13 wolves, they came looping down pipeline towards me from a distance of around 1 mile. The pack had ever color of wolf I have ever seen blacks, white, red, greys , orange and yellow. Quite a sight, happened on the Kakwa.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Tks

My boys have asked me countless times to go out and try for wolves,thanks for the tips we will try,try and try again this fall
Old 09-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Banned

Good tips
Shootem all
Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the tips. It helps confirm that I am not too far off on my tactics. I have shot three wolves. One while moose hunting, one I called in to me after spotting five of them on a lake and then moving into as close as possible to call (about 800 yards). That was a scout you talk about. Then one this last winter while moving into to position to call, after spotting them across a lake. They just started heading our way on there own, I got one and my son got two. That made it seem easy, but I know the amount of times we have headed out with no luck at all. it all averages out over time I guess.

I see by your pictures that you have had success in fall. In the four (between my son and I) they have all been in Late December-Jan on really cold days. My son also called one in, after hearing it howl while he was calling for coyotes two years ago.

My success rate is quite low, and with the effort to get out in minus 20 or colder, before first light, it is a real challenge. Most people say they'll go out this year for sure, but they don't get out of the warm bed once winter sets in.

For all you dreamers out there, don't delay. You never want to say down the road, "I should have done it when I could have" Yes you may go out 5-10 times with nothing to show for it, but it will pay off eventually. I see it as a way of learning a little something each time I go out about all things wild and wonderful. I've found some nice deer sheds, hunting spots for deer and elk. Some great pictures and other wild life encounters.

We need more predator control, so if you hunt for ungulates, do your part and have some amazing, very exciting hunts along the way.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:24 AM

Great tips , I have also found if you only shoot one in a group of two or more ,they will return looking for the missing one. So sit still and wait 45 mins and one will return !
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Speckle, congrats on keeping the wolf population in check in the areas you hunt. I am like many that would love to take a wolf one day, it just hasn't worked out. Ive seen a few, but either didn't have a rifle (bow hunting), or they were too far away or someone else shot and missed... anyways, look forward to reading more of your stories.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:19 PM

What do y’all do with the pelts?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Great tips , I have also found if you only shoot one in a group of two or more ,they will return looking for the missing one. So sit still and wait 45 mins and one will return !
X100. I’ve got two doubles and a friend of mine killed 5 in 20 minutes from the same spot.

If the wolves are howling, I do my best to mimic what ever howl they are emitting.

There have been some great wolf hunting threads on this forum if anyone cares to search for them.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-10-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWitty View Post
What do y’all do with the pelts?
The hides are pretty much worthless as the effort to skin, flesh, and tan is greater than the monetary value of the finished pelt. We’re required to salvage the hide unless the wolf was killed for predator management on private land or within 5 miles of a grazing lease. I’ll gladly give away the entire carcass to anyone who wants it if I shoot another.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Banned

A winter wolf pelt is a nice trophy and well worth the effort to tube skin and tan. The bleached skulls are also a nice addition to a trophy room.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Thanks too all the other wolf hunters who have posted and who hunt wolves

it can be devastating when the pack is at its peak in numbers

it is part of a cycle though and their numbers will fall as to the prey numbers

with certain areas that no hunting is allowed can keep those predator numbers high

the predator's prey numbers will be up and down as too the trapper in area

there are ranchers that need help with predators ask area bio's

calling is just another tool hunters can use in their WMU's

here is another wolf that i took Alberta in 2000

enjoy your hunt all

David

oh on those pelts they were given to friends n pelts are on wall or taxidermist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolf 2000.jpg (64.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg untitled_zps6d4b05af.jpg (19.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Speckle55; 09-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 PM

Of the three we got last winter, two of the big males were tube skinned and tanned. I gave mine to my daughter in-law. My son did the same tanning, with the male (black/grey) he shot and hung it up with his (yellow/ tan) one he got in 2017. The mature female he got, he skinned it out for a potential full taxidermy mount or rug. He got just over $300.00 for it. It took a bit of work, but paid to subsidize his hobby. If you turn the ears and lips, do the toes, etc, there is a chance it sells at the auction for taxidermy purposes. If you don't do it right, it will sell for basic fur prices, and you get enough to cover the cost of the ammo to get it, but not much more. We only hunt them purposely in December -Jan so the pelts have been good so far. The black on I got in 2016 now gives us three colours in our collection.

The skulls are are always boiled out, and we now have six in a row on the shelf.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 PM

Neat post Speckle!! Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King