Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 12:53 AM
Banned

Default Road bow hunters in 305

So now bowhunting season is open here in 305, the road bow hunters are back. Trying to shoot mule deer on the road, in the ditches or on private land close enough to the road they can load it up quick and never having to ask permission on private land. Or shooting out of the back of the truck as the mule deer cross the road at dusk.

This is a bad practice, and gives a bad image to all hunters in general. You might not think it doesn’t happen, but it certainly does.

So, since opening day lots of guys looking around and that’s fine. One blue ford cruising our road/roads all day long and never asked one landowner for permission. Was stopped a few times and played dumb. Pretending to not know how to find out landowners contact info. At their age, they damn well knew, period. Maybe drive to the landowners house and ask or buy a landowners map. Better yet, get IHunter and the download the map for that WMU.

Well, ------, ----- and -----, we have your full names and phone numbers, F&W now has the buck you shot the other night, after taking off when you realized we were watching you. You killed a pretty nice buck that has now been hauled away and wasted. Good job!

There will now be a large area of land that you certainly won’t get permission on anymore. Your names are being passed around between neighbours now and everyone now knows what truck you drive. Grow up and ask for permission! Period.

Lots of good landowners here, but you just screwed yourselves and probably didn’t make it easier for others...

P.S. ------ or --------, this a not the way to be teaching your son how to hunt. It’s pretty sad actually.

Last edited by sns2; 09-06-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wow eh....the elders passing on traditions....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 AM

Wow... pretty sad. Bad name all around.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:03 AM

Jeez, what a bunch of lowlifes. Road bow hunting, that’s a new one on me.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:04 AM

I thank god every hunting season for living in a province where, if I know how to talk to people face to face, I MIGHT get permission. Doesn’t get any better than that.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Very common in the area. Landowners find dead critters all season long, and then arrows in the grass for the rest of the year.

Absolutely infuriating.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Un-friggin'-believable what has this hunting world come to.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 AM

I applaud you Crazy Dave for keeping an eye out and getting F&W involved. I hope these clowns get what's coming to them and hopefully their kid gets a huge wakeup call when daddy gets fined and in trouble. These idiots totally screw it up for everyone. If me and my son showed up the next day to these landowners places to ask for permission, they would likely still be ****ed at what had just transpired and likely deny us access... And I cant blame the landowners... But hopefully they also respect the true hunters that do stop to ask for permission...
Anyways, hopefully they have some stiff fines and loss of hunting privileges coming their way.
Cheers,
SS
Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Wow eh....the elders passing on traditions....

Wow eh. ......What a stupid thing to say what are you insinuating you know what nevermind.

Road bow hunting that's a new one for me it's not like the deer will die asap.Crazy world we live in
Old 09-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I applaud you Crazy Dave for keeping an eye out and getting F&W involved. I hope these clowns get what's coming to them and hopefully their kid gets a huge wakeup call when daddy gets fined and in trouble. These idiots totally screw it up for everyone. If me and my son showed up the next day to these landowners places to ask for permission, they would likely still be ****ed at what had just transpired and likely deny us access... And I cant blame the landowners... But hopefully they also respect the true hunters that do stop to ask for permission...
Anyways, hopefully they have some stiff fines and loss of hunting privileges coming their way.
Cheers,
SS
Totally agree.

Garbage like this is why I've pretty much given up on hunting private land. Knowing what these salt of the earth landowners put up with every year- it feels like such a stretch approaching them as a stranger, asking for them to set aside what they experienced yesterday and extend me and mine the benefit of the doubt to access their family's property. It's embarrassing to be even remotely associated with the kind of behaviour we observe and hear of every year.

Few things make my blood boil like this subject. The fines and penalties need to go way, way up.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Great job on policing the poachers Crazy Davey. I love how you got their names and such out to the local land owners too.

Hope F&W nail them.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Wow eh. ......What a stupid thing to say what are you insinuating you know what nevermind.

Road bow hunting that's a new one for me it's not like the deer will die asap.Crazy world we live in
Just my take, I don’t think he was making any sort of derogatory statements towards indigenous people if that’s where you’re going in thought. OP stated there was a younger kid with two gents older than the kid. I would interpret them as being elders. “Traditions” being something that had most likely been practiced before by one or the pair. Maybe I’m way off and it was a slight but I doubt it.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Just my take, I don’t think he was making any sort of derogatory statements towards indigenous people if that’s where you’re going in thought. OP stated there was a younger kid with two gents older than the kid. I would interpret them as being elders. “Traditions” being something that had most likely been practiced before by one or the pair. Maybe I’m way off and it was a slight but I doubt it.
That was the way I read it too. I am of Scottish lineage and I have learned things from my elders.

Also if these were FN poaching I doubt they would be using a bow, I also feel like F&W wouldn't be interested if that were the case.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post

ok so I will put it differently, two old fella's teaching a young fella....insinuating two idiots and a kid that may learn this trait....

Old 09-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Bingo....by Big Lou a coffee!

Old 09-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Banned

This thread has nothing to do with FN.

I could tell you some other stories on that subject, but in another thread...
Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Very common in the area. Landowners find dead critters all season long, and then arrows in the grass for the rest of the year.

Absolutely infuriating.
You have seen an heard some of the issues first hand, so you can verify this crap can and does happen.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
ok so I will put it differently, two old fella's teaching a young fella....insinuating two idiots and a kid that may learn this trait....
Some people are just a little insecure, most of us understood your post.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
You have seen an heard some of the issues first hand, so you can verify this crap can and does happen.
Yup. And even witnessing it, the audacity of the offenders is hard to process.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM

Well done Dave.

HT
Old 09-06-2019, 02:07 PM

zI’d post their full names.....
If
Your 100% positive.

These dbags need to be outed for
Their disgusting behavior that unfortunately paints you n me.

They had a draw tag for a mulie buck?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-09-2019, 05:56 AM

Any charges rumoured, Dave? They should lose their hunting licence for a long time, if convicted...
Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I remember hunting elk down in the Caroline area a few years back, I was hiking out on a trail and met some goof who was driving down the trail in his jeep... bow on his lap and a shaft ready on the dash. Crazy that somebody with no intention of learning how to hunt would waste money on archery gear.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Banned

Why continually infuriate yourself policing/hunting an area that has a history of this activity?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Why continually infuriate yourself policing/hunting an area that has a history of this activity?
I am happy he does without hunters doing this the cancer spreads to other areas because people think it’s OK or they can get away with it
Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I remember hunting elk down in the Caroline area a few years back, I was hiking out on a trail and met some goof who was driving down the trail in his jeep... bow on his lap and a shaft ready on the dash. Crazy that somebody with no intention of learning how to hunt would waste money on archery gear.
They get to hunt “early“ doncha know

LC
Old 09-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Because we live here, and we are hunters too. Crap like this makes us all look bad.

Would you turn a blind eye on land you own if crap like this was happening?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Because we live here, and we are hunters too. Crap like this makes us all look bad.

Would you turn a blind eye on land you own if crap like this was happening?
Nope.... never, ever.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Wow, thats not good.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM

Thanks for stepping up and doing something about it. We all need to do more when we have the chance.
Years ago I knew my brother in-law was poaching deer in Saskatchewan, when I found out, I did some research, and then informed him that I knew who he was doing this with, and with inside information, I would have him nailed if he ever did it again. That was the last year he ever shared deer sausage around with his friends. He sold his guns a couple years later. He hated me for years, but it was worth it for all us hunters and land owners for that matter.