Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Trapping cllectibles

Well the thread on the hudsons bay stretchers got me thinking. I've been metal detecting for quite awhile but one thing that I'd love to find is a fur trade era item. Here's an offer, if anyone knows the location of an early trading post location (that's not in a park) I'm willing to take that person, lend them my spare detector and we can both detect and see what there is to find. It would be a fun time and you never know what will turn up.

PM me if you're interested
Old 02-11-2015, 08:42 AM

thats funny after reading that book on here that someone posted a while back It gave me an itch for the same thing. I live near fort carlton which was mentioned often in the book and just started metal detecting last year with the kids nothing cool yet some super old nails but thats about it. Those old stories are good historical records sometimes if nothing else they make ya think.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:20 PM

I know of such a place. I actually know two places. Come to think of it, I know a few locations. Most spots were discovered reading obscure old books and journals of the early fur trade explorers. I have been to a few of the locations too.

I have also taken the time to map out where the original trail (known as the wolf track) went from Ft. Edmonton to Pigeon lake. There are spots where the trail is still intact. The trail continued on to Rocky Mtn. house and to Morley. There are a few spots where massacres happened that may still have relics to be found also. The thing to know is when looking for fur trade era stuff is that it might be a few feet down.

I recently found documentation showing that my kids' great(X4)grandfather was employed as a voyageur by the North West Company in 1804 which makes history that much more interesting.

Any time... I am ready to go. I no longer have a metal detector though.

PM me if you want some resources of websites that are good to use for research.

Other overlooked spots are where the original river crossings and ferries ran. The old timers said the frontier died the day the first bridge was built.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets