Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Either Sex Elk Hunt

Hey guys,

I got a draw for either sex elk in the 3 WMU's surrounding cypress hills in December. Just curious if any of you guys have done this late season hunt and how was it as far as numbers and success. Any tips would be appreciated as well, as this is my first elk hunt. I am fairly familiar with the area and will be doing a lot of scouting beforehand. Just want to know more information if you guys have any. Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Default havent hunted it that late

creatures of habit and even in October when I have hunted it the early season pressure has made them mostly nocturnal moving out of shelter of park coulees after dusk and back into park before first light. You may be able to see trails leaving the park and once they find feed will likely go to the same places but we found several herds and they all exited a different way. Landowners surrounding park can be helpful to determine where they are feeding and movements as they are not particularly liked for their tendancy to take down fences. They can cover 20 miles an hour in the wee hours of the morning coming back to the park so being in the right place at the right time as well as a lot of luck helps.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM

The elk herds have changed their movement patterns versus what they did 10-15 years ago. More herds are staying out of the park in the prairie. Talk to the landowners surrounding the park and they will give you some good info. There will be herds in all 3 zones and its just a matter of finding them. Landowners are a little jumpy due to the dry conditions of the summer, I would be waiting a bit to call if I were you. Use the rifle seasons for whitetail as a good excuse to get down there and get a feel for the land.