Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM

Default Shuswap Fishing

So I have a bachelor party to go to on a houseboat may long... If i have any time away to drop a line does anyone have any advice? Im bringing a little aluminum to pull behind the houseboat.

Depths? maybe river mouths?

Anything to go on would be great.Thanks

Last edited by ADH; 02-27-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
So I have a bachelor party to go to on a houseboat may long... If i gay any time away to drop a line does anyone have any advice? Im bringing a little aluminum to pull behind the houseboat.

Depths? maybe river mouths?

Anything to go on would be great.Thanks
I haven't been to that type of "bachelor party" but my advice is simple ...... if your into that, and there nothing wrong with it I guess ...... wear proper protection.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 PM

hahahaha wow. That was an excellently unfortunate typo I MEANT TO SAY IF I HAVE ANY TIME!!!!! Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 PM

I would go their and use small salmon fry imitations slow trolled on a full sink line or at the very least a sink tip,floating line with long leaders (15') with split shot will also do pump the rod now and again to induce some action on the fly.The fly shop in sicamose should be able to help you with the flys.If your going conventional gear spoons trolled on the surface (light flutter spoons,coyote spoons greens and Blues are good) small 3" plugs have done well.The most important thing to keep in mind fish early morning (before light)by 11 I'm done and won't even attempt fishing again till the last couple hours of the night.The only thing against you is that it has been and abnormally warm winter could push the cycle ahead a bit.Goog luck
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM

1 oz to 2 oz mooching sinker to a set of willow leafs and 36" of mono back to a 1.5" to 2" apex. Hot pink or rainbow.

FISH ON
Old 02-28-2015, 03:54 AM
Banned

What's the point of the house boat if you won't be able to drop a line while using it?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:19 PM

Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM

Smile

Get a few 2 and 4 oz banana weights. Some swivels. Then a few Apex. AKA hockey sticks. 4" long. Get silver/green silver/blue and silver/white. Those will be adequate. If you have a motor on the small aluminum then try to troll these rigs slowly. The idea is to get your lure down to 50 to 80 feet. Even if your higher that's ok. The fish will come up for them. You can also use Lyman's out there and we've had luck with Coyote spoons as well. Not sure if you fly fish at all. If you do then try the creek mouths with minnow patterns. Just be sure to check the regs and get the tickets for rainbow and lake trout as there are specific tags and regs for Shushwap Lakes.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM

S pattern troll with all the above advice.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 PM

I also had good luck with a willow leaf gangtroll with a silver flatfish 3 feet behind. 4 oz. banana weight in front of the gangtroll to get it down.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned

I agree with all the above, but depending on how many people are going to have lines in the water at the same time, I would pick up some Dipsey divers, as they pull your lure down and also have a directional fin as well to move it off to the side.

If you want to vary your length from the weight I would pick up some 4-6-8 oz. slip sinkers (Gibbs). These weights release and slide down the line to your lure when a fish strikes so you can fish the weight any distance you want from your lure presentation. With a tied weight you are sort of limited to the distance you can still reach the fish with a net. Make sure to be put a couple of beads as a stopper for the weight against your knot if you use the slip sinkers.