Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 05:28 AM

Default What a pain in the ..... Toe!!!

Yep a pain in the toe...I woke this morning with gout. Or maybe I should say is was pulled out of my sleep by a painful ache in my big toe about 3AM. This is the 3rd time I’ve had an attack. First time was very mild, just a dull ache in fact I wasn’t quite sure what it was, it didn’t stop me at all. But in the back of my mind I knew it was gout. Second time was a full blown gout attack I ended up at the doctor for medication. That was October 2016. Since then I’ve watched my diet and have been lucky enough to avoid another flare up. Till now! At this point I don’t know what caused the flare up.

This crap hurts!!

For those of you with gout... have your triggers changed over the years? Any home remedies that tend to help speed up the recovery from an attack?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Yep a pain in the toe...I woke this morning with gout. Or maybe I should say is was pulled out of my sleep by a painful ache in my big toe about 3AM. This is the 3rd time I’ve had an attack. First time was very mild, just a dull ache in fact I wasn’t quite sure what it was, it didn’t stop me at all. But in the back of my mind I knew it was gout. Second time was a full blown gout attack I ended up at the doctor for medication. That was October 2016. Since then I’ve watched my diet and have been lucky enough to avoid another flare up. Till now! At this point I don’t know what caused the flare up.

This crap hurts!!

For those of you with gout... have your triggers changed over the years? Any home remedies that tend to help speed up the recovery from an attack?

I've been in a wheel chair with gout, it aint a joke. I tried every kind of diet modification, and ate cherries until I looked like one. Uloric 80 mg. once a day forever and ever will prevent it. There's other medications that work and are cheaper but uloric is easier on the liver.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:46 AM

I feel your pain. I developed gout from one of the blood pressure meds I was on. Indomethacin took care of it quite well until we discovered the cause and I switched meds. MUCH better since. Good luck to you.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:13 AM

Had mild case, black cherry juice worked.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 AM

On a daily dose of alupurinal works wonders
Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up Absolutley effective 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear crossing View Post
On a daily dose of alupurinal works wonders
Double thumbs for Allopurinol
Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 AM

My first attack was when I was 20 years old I had no idea what was happening I went from walking to crawling in intense pain. The attacks would come on sporadically sometimes 5 years apart until recently the attacks became weekly then almost daily I kept Indomethacin handy just in case.
My doctor started me on 300mg Allopurinol it took about a month for the attacks to stop and since I haven't had any. I used get gout in my toe and my ankle I have learned if I start to feel it I take the Indomethacin as soon as possible.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Indomethacin

The doc gave me a prescription of indomethacin as well when I had my last attack just over a year ago. I’ve carried that bottle of pills all over the countryside since then - just in case. Took a pill this morning, it may be taking the edge off but that’s about it. Second dose in a couple hours.

The last time I had the attack, the dr gave me a second drug as well as the indomethacin... I was walking within a couple hours. Can’t recall what it was... some steroid I’m sure.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
This crap hurts!! For those of you with gout... have your triggers changed over the years? Any home remedies that tend to help speed up the recovery from an attack?
There seems to be some evidence of sugar being one of the culprits in causing gout...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sugar%2Bgout&t=vivaldi&ia=web

Edit: Keep track of what you eat... do you remember eating anything before the attack that could be suspect? Maybe you overdid it eating something like dessert, candy or something else that caused a reaction. Prepared meats with a lot of nitrates are also thought by some to be bad for gout, alccohol is another.

Last edited by drhu22; 03-17-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:40 PM

For me it seemed to come on very random at first.. completely changed my diet and quit drinking and I had gout so bad I couldn’t get up my stairs ..and then again I’ve been on fishing trips and ate nothing but fish and crushing a ton of beer and had no gout issues ...it got to a point where I was getting it once a week and wouldn’t go away .. allopurinal.. I’m a new man
Old 03-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

One thing to remember is that even if you aren't having an attack high uric acid levels will still build up in your joints and cause damage. Get you levels checked through blood work and then talk to your doctor and go from there. Personally I'm not willing to give up things like red meat and sea food and swear off booze. Allopurinol and boom life's good
Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Banned

QUESTION.....I'm pushing 60 and the last couple of years I'd occasionally get a dull pain in my right big toe for no apparent reason. Nothing drastic but enough that I take notice. Is this how gout starts out or does it nail you hard right away?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
QUESTION.....I'm pushing 60 and the last couple of years I'd occasionally get a dull pain in my right big toe for no apparent reason. Nothing drastic but enough that I take notice. Is this how gout starts out or does it nail you hard right away?
That’s how it starts for me. A dull ache in the joint, then progresses from there.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup sounds like classic gout. If you want to find out for sure, next time you feel that ache tie on a good beer bender with a red meat asparagus and she'll fish buffet lol. I'm kidding don't do that... unless someone else is paying.

Go get your uric acid levels checked. They will be able to tell if you're at risk and give you medication. It's better to have it then to have to crawl to your truck with a boot on one foot and a flip flop on the other in -30 to go get it.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Next time you get the dull ache head to the doc and get the joint aspirated.
Crystals at the source tell a much clearer story that total Uric acid levels.

My brother has high uric acid levels and never had a gout episode in his life.
His levels are higher than mine and I have suffered greatly in the past