Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

Default Minor Hockey 2013/14

Well, it's only been a few months and we are back at it. I will be evaluating tonight and for the foreseeable future.

Willy has made a major change as now he wants to play out. It was a bit of a disappointment as both his Mom and I really enjoyed watching him play goal. But that part doesn't matter. I am sure he will have a good time playing wing this year. Only issue I see coming up for him is the fact he is really going to bust his butt in order to have a chance of playing with his friends. All his friends play at a mid to high end and Willy hasn't played out in 4 years. I will give him credit, he came back from the Lodge early and took power skating + a night camp in week one, then he followed it up with a week long all day camp that saw him doing 2 a days.

As he explained to me, he hated sitting on the bench every 2nd game and wanted to always be on the ice. I cant fault him for that. He also says this is a one year experiment. Though from seeing how much he is enjoying himself, I doubt he will be back in the crease.

Personally, I have seen a ok improvement in skating and good jump in stick handling. I just don't know if it's enough to get him in the middle of the pack. I have him placed at perhaps making team 4 of 6. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him on team 5.

He knows he has his work cut out for him. His tryouts start on Thursday in the lowest group.

I am not sure how his aggressive attitude towards the game will play out this year. He is bigger and stronger than the vast amount of kids and has a sense of justice about him that I have only seen a few times. By saying that, Willy is far from what anyone would consider a "Dirty" or "Cheap" player. I just know he is perhaps the most aggressive player on the ice in our community.

He has the ability to send parents and coaches right off their respective rockers as was proved in both spring hockey and in Baseball this past spring. He managed to turn Baseball into a contact sport and still stayed on the good side of the Ump. By the end of the season in Baseball, kids wouldn't run home on a passed ball. Sure they got in some of the time, but they paid a price if he got any where near the plate. It was a major reason they won the whole thing

I hope that we get the chance to play against Trees son again this year. It's always fun to watch the boys play against each other.

I am once again wanting to coach. Good Lord, I do like being with the kids. It's so much fun to watch these kids grow as guys and start to turn into men. The competitive desire in some of them is just outstanding and the difference between when they are around Mom and Dad VRS when they are on the bench is just plain funny. I have never had a bad year behind the bench.

So who is playing what? Any Goalie parents on the forum? If so, I might have some top notch gear available.

Who is taking a run at "AA" or "AAA"

Not sure what Tournys will be on the menu, but with Willy probably playing more towards the bottom, I would imagine they will be more localized. Though I would like to go back to the reserve. That was a good one.

Good luck this year.

Jamie
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM

Jamie, I am doing some evaluations later this month at the same place you are. Maybe will run into you. Got the boy in novice this year.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmu View Post
Jamie, I am doing some evaluations later this month at the same place you are. Maybe will run into you. Got the boy in novice this year.
Jacobmu.
Hello neighbour!
Where abouts do you live?
We should get together for a beer!
Are you evaluating the Bantams?
Atoms for me tonight.

Jamie
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Jamie, I was waiting to see your 13/14 update thread. I always enjoy reading minor hockey updates. Good luck to your son playing out this year, sounds like he is looking forward to it
Bantam aaa final cuts tonight. It has been a haul for my son, 2 weeks of prep followed by 2 weeks of try outs. 3 practices and 5 games in the last 6 days. Stressful night for him having to meet with the coaches after their second game today. Nice to see walk out with a big smile. Good lesson that hard work pays off
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Jamie, I was waiting to see your 13/14 update thread. I always enjoy reading minor hockey updates. Good luck to your son playing out this year, sounds like he is looking forward to it
Bantam aaa final cuts tonight. It has been a haul for my son, 2 weeks of prep followed by 2 weeks of try outs. 3 practices and 5 games in the last 6 days. Stressful night for him having to meet with the coaches after their second game today. Nice to see walk out with a big smile. Good lesson that hard work pays off
Burbot, great on him! You never came out and said it, but did your son make it?

As for Willy, it's been a hard road.
Tryout #1 saw him be perhaps the best player on the Ice. He dominated.
Tryout #2 saw him up a level and he got blown out. Perhaps the worst player on the ice, he was trying, but nothing worked.
Tryout #3 got sent down a level and is competing with the first group he was with. Not the worst on the ice, not the best. Seemed like a bit of a lack of try to me.
He has one more shot at playing with his friends and the type of kids that like to compete. Lets see what happens on Wednesday.

My guess is that I have screwed up this procces for him. I got his skates profiled after the first tryout. I should have left them alone and just got them sharpened. I think that has made him a bit less balanced and though good for the long term, I screwed with something that was working.

Lets hope the hockey gods see fit to make up for a over enthusiastic Dad.

After 3 tryouts, I think the best he can hope for is team 4 (out of 6) with a good possibility that team 5 will happen.

He knew this coming in, that playing at a much lower level could happen after changing positions. Still , it's hard to watch him struggle and have his hopes dashed. Tryouts are tough on kids. But I think it makes them better and stronger people in the long term.

How is it going for everyone else?

Jamie
Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 AM

Good update Jamie, I do hope things work out for your son. No matter which team he makes I am willing to bet that his development goes off the charts this year.

Yes my son did make the AAA.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

Major change in the plan.
Dispite his mom and I wanting him to stick with his descion of playing out, a call came through this AM from our association.
They are short on GTs and need him.
Based on the number of kids involved, they have willy his own team.
No back up, he gets every game.
This caused him to reconsider and he will be going out as a GT tonight.

He apologized to both of us and promised to work hard. All the kid wanted was constant ice time and a chance to play with his friends.
No apology was necessary.

This is going to send his Mom to the loony bin. He loves the presure, and she hates it. Lolololo

I think it could be a good year.

Jamie
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Funny how things work out some time, that is great he will get his own team

How is the association handling his placement, gt try outs done or still in progress with game play?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Funny how things work out some time, that is great he will get his own team

How is the association handling his placement, gt try outs done or still in progress with game play?
Still 2 tryouts to go. He is on the ice in a few hours. All equipment still fits, only had to get him some new tape.
He is saying now that playing out isn't all it's cracked up to be.
He liked it when he dominated, but not so much when he started to get his lunch handed to him.
LOLOLOLOL
The mind of a 12 year old!

This will perhaps give him a chance to play with some friends.

As well, he declined competing for the top team. He (And us) didn't think it was fair to parachute him in at the last minute and end up with hurt feelings.
Lots of room in the middle teams.

Jamie
Old 09-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

One last ice time for evaluations!
Boy these kids have worked hard. You can see the stress levels rising in the stands and in the Locker rooms. Some kids bounce out of the room after the game and others drag bags. Some think they sucked and others think they were kings of the world. Some kids in both sets are right and some are wrong.

The emotions that go into try outs are unreal.
I don't know if there is a way to make evaluations more "Fair" I think that no matter what a organization does, it is wrong on some level.

What is a "Fair" way to do this?

I look at some of the issues with the idea of making it a better system.

Should coaches have picks? I believe it makes for a better team, but can see the downfalls as far as politics go.

Should the kids be playing real games? Right now our association plays 5 scrimmage type games with minimal face offs and few if any whistles and no penalty's. They have 1.5 minutes per shift and change lines on the buzzer.

What about openness to the family's and the kids? Right now it's all done behind closed doors and the parents are told it is done on a ranking scale that is averaged out. (Points being given from up to 20 independent evaluators)
As a family you do not know what your kid did right or wrong, you do not know what exactly the evals are looking for. Should there be more transparency?

I am hearing some complaining from the parents. But I wonder if this could be settled down some what with more communication? Perhaps if family's had a better idea of what was expected and what could happen the grumbling would subside a bit.

Has any one seen a better system?
For the record, I don't have a big issue with tryouts as I have yet to see a kid play on \any of Willys teams that just screams he doesn't belong. The evals seem to work. But the complaining from all parties and some of it is justified is getting a bit much.

I really do wonder if Hockey Calgary would be better to get back to a house league/city wide system. Take the best players and let them play city wide in a AAA,AA,and single A format, take the rest from your community and throw the sticks into the middle and sort them out from there or have the coaches draft them. Let the kids decide if they want to try out for these top end teams. Most will be excited and happy to play with friends and try and enjoy the year. Those that want to play competitive still have that opportunity.

The best years in hockey for Willy has not been about winning and losing, it's been about being with friends.

He has made a conscious choice this year to try and play with friends and not go after the number one team. I had to fight for him in that regard today.

What I consider to be a huge mistake 3 years ago was made. Our community decided that players should decide if they are goalies or out players at the end of Novice. What that has done is not given any one else the chance to experience the position. It basically dried up the GT pool. With basic attrition of kids moving away and some who quit the game and others who decided they would rather play out. We know have 6 Pee Wee teams with only 6 GT's (not including Willy) of which only 2 GTS can play at any sort of team one or 2 level. The rest have a skill set that should see them stacked at the very bottom.

Basically what this means is that team one needs to have 2 GT's. the rest have to deal with a GT that would have a ton more fun down several levels.

Mismatching goalies with teams that play at a higher level will only cause some extremely hard feelings in that Locker room. I have seen it first hand. It is very tough for these young fellows to deal with the fact they have let down a team. Kids are brutal at times and though we as coaches control it to the best of our ability, we cant control what happens away from the Arena or the internal thoughts of a kid who is getting bombed each and every night.

I understand that things are extremely tough to manage in a smaller community, but this has to change.

I would suggest the following.
No designated GT's except for Atom 1 and Pee Wee 1. I believe in a organization our size this will be easy to accomplish. After that, let the individual coach's decide who plays and when. As you get farther into the game, the cream will rise to the top. Those that are dedicated and make the effort will get the majority of the net time. Those that might just want to try it out will still have a chance.

This little speech wasn't a rant in any way, I am just trying to get some input from those that have been through the wars and what they would like to see changed to make it a better experience for all those involved.

As for Willy, it looks like I know what team he will be on, it should have a good handful of friends on it. He is happy, his playing situation is perfect for him.

It's the makings of a good year. Now lets see what winter brings.

Jamie
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
What I consider to be a huge mistake 3 years ago was made. Our community decided that players should decide if they are goalies or out players at the end of Novice. What that has done is not given any one else the chance to experience the position. It basically dried up the GT pool. With basic attrition of kids moving away and some who quit the game and others who decided they would rather play out. We know have 6 Pee Wee teams with only 6 GT's (not including Willy) of which only 2 GTS can play at any sort of team one or 2 level. The rest have a skill set that should see them stacked at the very bottom.
I will agree with you there, and I come from the previous age grouping before they made midget a 3 year grouping and bumped the rest of the age groups down a year. The end of novice is certainly too early to make that decision 100%. Atom is a big time for goaltender development, the kids start to separate themselves a bit skill wise. Around here it was usually a matter of all kids getting a turn to play net through novice. While it wasn't distributed entirely fair, if you wanted to try at least you got a few chances. In atom, you at least had to have some level of comittment to it. They didn't really turn anyone down but they didn't want it to be a revolving door either, which for me meant splitting time in net (1/2 as first year atom, 1/3 as second year). The second year was a little frustrating for me as I just barely missed making the AA team and ended up playing B/house league (only 2 options here). The 3rd goalie in the mix that year was the coach's son and the other goalie and I played together the year before. The coach manipulated our schedule where his son got the easiest of games, I got the majority of the games against strong teams, and other other guy kind of covered the middle ground. The other 2 guys gave up the position after that season. Which brings me to my next trend, never did I see a player want to become a goalie once they got to the peewee age group. On the other hand, some goalies will decide to be players instead. And goalies also have a higher drop out rate as well. For me, it was after peewee. And my experience validates your point about goalies having to play up a level. That season I made the AA team, and by all accounts did really well. Unfortunately I had some untimely bad games and it was really hard on me mentally, and was a driving force to me quitting. I felt like I let the team down, and I was probably right. The same core of guys made westerns in Bantam, and a lot of them went on to play junior/major junior. I would have been better suited for an A league if we actually had one here.

FWIW, after 15 years I finally decided to get back into the crease. Big shortage of rec goalies here and not having goalies takes the fun out of the game. The position sure isn't as expensive to play as it used to be. The internet has really opened up a whole new world of used equipment. I've outfitted myself with better quality, full size gear for about half of what my equipment was worth in peewee.

Last edited by Nova; 09-12-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Evals are this week and I am off hunting...best place to be for me during this time...

All four boys are ready to go and are pumped and happy. I was not sure if it was going to work out this year... 4 boys ===== $$$$$....

anyways things have a way of working out when kids are determined and committed.

This should be an awesome year... 2 boys in Atom in in Novice and one in pre-novice.

I truly believe the evaluations have to be done behind closed doors and the exact criteria NOT discussed or parents will try and f'up the system and create bias... To me as a coach at the beginning of the year I would rather have an average player with heart and commitment than a superstar with an attitude of entitlement....

I have provided advice to all groups involved with hockey and I saw 4 rules I like...

1) This is a game
2) This is a game so it has to be fun
3) This is a game, for the kids...
4) You and your child do not play for the Chicago Blackhawks.

Hockey without checking is like a jelly donut without filling....
Old 09-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Anybody that has kids in minor hockey needs to read " Selling the Dream" The state of minor hockey in Canada by Ken Cambell!!! Read it please! I coach high level tiered hockey and played major junior in western canada! I am buying a copy for all my parents on my team(s) this year! It will open your eyes trust me!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Jamie, I can only comment first hand on how Crowfoot ran Evals. Number 1 was that parents were not part of the evaluation team. Outside evaluators were brought in to do the evaluations until the final session in which the coaches could pull 3 players of their choosing up to their team. Players started off the process based on where they played the previous season Crowfoot would communicate what the evaluators where looking for- eg being aggressive/first to the puck
While no means perfect the teams always seemed to end up with the right kids for the most part. (My opinion, many would likely disagree and no my son never played on the one team)

Of course things change dramatically at the quadrant level. No longer are there evaluations, they become try outs and the associations are quick to remind everyone of this.

On the issue of GT's I agree first year atom is to soon to commit.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Anybody that has kids in minor hockey needs to read " Selling the Dream" The state of minor hockey in Canada by Ken Cambell!!! Read it please! I coach high level tiered hockey and played major junior in western canada! I am buying a copy for all my parents on my team(s) this year! It will open your eyes trust me!
Agreed, good perspective for all involved. I remember the first year I coached,as soon as the teams where set and my email went up on the website i was barraged by emails offering dry land, power skating, skills training, spring hockey, European travel teams and all sorts of other hockey services. Big business indeed!!!!!

Now fast forward 7 years and maybe I am a hypocrite.. My son has played spring the past 3 seasons and has a few regular development camps. So did I drink the koolaid? Nope I know he will most likely light up a beer league someday and good on him. He is wired to compete and has pushed mom and dad to do these things. We can afford it, enjoy watching him compete and have no illusions of him having a future with the game. Bottom line he loves the game and we provide him the opportunity to play

I will say that virtually all quadrant hockey players play spring/extra skill camps and dry land. Even more extreme are the GT's with personal coaches-GDI, world pro etc

For every kid, not at all. For every family, nope. But for some it is, as long as perspective is in place

It is truly amazing how good the top end kids are these days
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Default Hats off to Airdrie

Quite the home opener put on by Airdrie Saturday for the Bantam AAA's

Music, lights, player intros and a great oh Canada sung by a talented young lady. Tons of fans out to cheer on their Airdrie extreme

Great display of support for minor hockey. Sets the bar high for us Calgary teams!

Fantastic game
Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

Evals are done!!!
Willy has his own team and he is extremly happy.He gets the chance to play with at least 6 old friends.
A couple of Tournys are up for consideration.
One in Banff and another in Billings Montana.

I was fortunate again to be asked to help Coach. Yet another wild ride coming up.

Jamie
Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

I know this is a long shot, but anyone here familiar with Tanbridge Academy in South Calgary? They are associated with NSD.

As well, anyone on here ever go to a Hockey School?
I don't mean a 5 day camp, I mean a year long program that is combined with regular school.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 09-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Jamie, no experiance with Tanbridre however my son does go to a school that runs the Hockey Canada skills academy

The program runs September through June, I believe it was 7-8 ice and 4-6 dry land each month. Program focused on skills and hockey specific strength and conditioning. On hockey days they went from 8am to 9am at a local rink then bused back to school
Program is open to students grade 7-9 ( school K to 9)
My son was in it grade 7 and then again in grade 8. He elected not to do it this year grade 9

My observations, I think it was good the first year but the second year it may have been a bit much combined with playing quadrant hockey (thus the decision not to this year)

Popular With the kids- hockey instead of class! Cost was vey minimal considering the amount of ice

For your son I would be inquiring if there is goalie instruction or if he would be on his own.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

Transportation issues had us turn down the opportunity.
To bad as the school looked good and he would have been on the ice with perhaps the best hockey coach in Western Canada.
Rick Alexander runs that program and Willy loves playing for him. Rick is fairly I tense and doesn't suffer fools. Great coach.

We have our first ice time on Saturday. As well the team voted to host a tournament in Banff. If we have any outlying Pee Wee teams that may be interested in commi ng to Banff, get in touch.

Jamie
Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

For the first couple of weeks under our belts. A handful of practices and our first game today.

We are a better team this year than last, but playing at a higher level.
Some lazy kids on the team, but all are good kids.

Willy did ok today but was over excited on one play and was left flopping on his belly while the net was uncovered.
Final score was 3-2 for the other side.

Head coach had us working on "changing on the fly". We never changed at the whistle, if the boys needed a change, they had to get it deep. Interesting idea. Seemed to have the boys dumping more often.

Willy was chastised by the ref due to his violent reaction to being slashed. Nasty little boy he is.

Off to Banff in a few weeks, more practises this week and a double header game/practice on Sunday.

It's fun being back at the rink and on the bench.

Jamie
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Slooooooooooowwwwwwww part of the season.
No exhibition games and practises are grouped together.

Our first regular season/seeding round game isn't until Nov 1. But we get 10 games in 5 weeks after that.

Some cool things coming up. We host our own Tourny in Banff and we get a road trip to Great Falls Montana in the new year. Both of these Tournys will be a great experiance for the kids.

Willy continues to play well and has been invited to practice with the Pee Wee 1's on a as needed situation. That seems to have started a fire in his belly. Lets see how long it lasts. He is with them tonight and is one excited kid.

Last year saw Willy being used as a test case with the Goalie development program. Well all that pushing and proding with the Bonavista executive paid off.
The program has now been put out to all Lake Bonavista Goalies.
Basics of it is this
Only $200 for 10 private lessons at World Pro. Along with a huge discount on further times down there. Lake Bonavista is picking up approximately 2/3 the cost.

This is a effort I have not seen from many organizations. Congrats to Bonavista for seeing the value in Goaltending.

Jamie
Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM

try these guys out www.explosiveedge.ca they are located just on the edge of airdrie

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Nice to see the minor hockey updates Jamie.

Thought I would add my two bits regarding a post you made in the thread regarding profiling of skates. You hit the nail right on the head. Profiling, in my opinion, in many cases is simply another way for stores to make money off of you. I personally have played at just about every level, including the Western Hockey League and some Division 2 pro in Europe and have never once in my life had a Profile done on my skates. You do need to get the front flange ground down but that simply puts a standard 11' profile on the skates themselves. Reason I state is its a cash grab is in order to do a true measure of what kind of profile a player needs is you need to assess their skating style and needs based on a visual on ice viewing. Any store that asks 'do you play forward or defence' is so far out to lunch its brutal. I could list many close friends that have and are still playing in the best league in the world that have never had a profile done to their skates. Not to mention, most retail stores don't have capable staff to do said profiles, my kid when hes old enough will be skating on a standard 11' radius which will allow him to develop his own skating technique without beind forced forward or back on his edges.

I can tell you first hand that one of the big box stores that deals solely in hockey (One at crossiron mills mall and shepard in Calgary, and two in Edmonton) wouldn't be touching my skates even if they were as dull as spoons
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
Nice to see the minor hockey updates Jamie.

Thought I would add my two bits regarding a post you made in the thread regarding profiling of skates. You hit the nail right on the head. Profiling, in my opinion, in many cases is simply another way for stores to make money off of you. I personally have played at just about every level, including the Western Hockey League and some Division 2 pro in Europe and have never once in my life had a Profile done on my skates. You do need to get the front flange ground down but that simply puts a standard 11' profile on the skates themselves. Reason I state is its a cash grab is in order to do a true measure of what kind of profile a player needs is you need to assess their skating style and needs based on a visual on ice viewing. Any store that asks 'do you play forward or defence' is so far out to lunch its brutal. I could list many close friends that have and are still playing in the best league in the world that have never had a profile done to their skates. Not to mention, most retail stores don't have capable staff to do said profiles, my kid when hes old enough will be skating on a standard 11' radius which will allow him to develop his own skating technique without beind forced forward or back on his edges.

I can tell you first hand that one of the big box stores that deals solely in hockey (One at crossiron mills mall and shepard in Calgary, and two in Edmonton) wouldn't be touching my skates even if they were as dull as spoons
After thinking about his skates for the past month and 1/2, I really do think I screwed him up. He had so much pop and speed the first night, followed by a disastrous showing in the next 2 outings. He was still trying, but getting no where. I believe that you are 100% correct. Honestly, I feel kinda bad about the whole thing. Perhaps for the best as he continues to excell with being a GT, but still a bad move on my part.
All his skates are sharpened at maximum edge in Shawnessy. They seem to do a good job and he is now at the point where he can talk with guys about different feels in the way they sharpen his GT skates.
No one else touches his skates unless it is a emergency. With his aggressive playing style, I have to get them sharpened once a week. And even then they look like a cheese grator. Way to much banging them off the posts, chips ever where on them.

This kid is so rough on posts, he takes a extra water bottle and ices in the net during practice. It's something I want Wirld Pro to work on with him.

Jamie
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Banned

Very cool to watch Willy compete with the best tonight. Much different style of play with these kids. Much different attitude as well.

He dominated in all the drills. The 5 puck shoot out at the end saw him win 5-0. Then they switched sides and he won 4-0.

Tough to compare GTs as the proper GT in those situations never seems to be as into it as the call up player. But still, great showing by Will.

Jamie
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Very nice tournament in Banff this weekend.
Boys kicked on a team from Edmonton 14-0
Then beat Bow valley 8-3
Then met the might Midnapore team in a great game. Back and forth with us scoring the winner with under a minute left. 4-3 final
Today saw us in the "A" final against the same team. Yet another huge battle that saw them score a late goal to tie (3-3) and send it to a 5 person shoot out.
Willy shut everyone down and we scored 2 with final shot being a spin o Rama that worked.
Refs were good all weekend, but I hate when teams try and match lines. If your matching lines, some kid is getting short changed time.
One minor throw down saw a late dig on Willy, he comes flying up cussing and spitting. That caused a mid sized scrum with punches and kids hitting the ice. 8 minutes worth of penaltys saw that settled down. Funny thing was, the kid from the other team was in the box and very upsett that Willy had swore at him. It wassent the punch to head that bothered him, it was the fact Willy used the "F" word. He kept asking the penalty box supervisor if willy was her son, cause he had a awfully bad attitude. Lololol

Poor Heidi (Willys Mom and my wife) can't stand watching Willy in a shoot out. She tried to leave the arena but the other parents talked her into staying.
It's harder on her than Willy.

Tons of fun, the kids had a blast, and the parents had a memorable party that rolled until the wee hours on Saturday morning.

Our regular season starts on Friday with 3 games in a short period of time. I believe we will be over matched in our division, but lets see what happens. I need our defencemen to get better. And the giveaways in our own zone are going to give me a heart attack. 27-35 per game. (Yes we count them)
But we will continue to work with these young guys. I need to find away to get through to them. I believe a video tape session may help. Perhaps if they see exactly the mistakes it will help.

Any other ideas for working with Dmen?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 AM

Maybe try teaching them how to eat the puck behind the boards if there is no play up the wing? Just pin it on the board and get the center to help out.

Or just fire it off the glass and out for icing. No penalty in that if there is no play.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 AM

Default hockey system

Can someone plz explain to me how the hockey system works here? (a,aa,aaa)
I myself grew up in ON and played house-league hockey as that was all my mother could afford. I then made the jump to junior C so I never went through the system you could say.
I have a 5 month old son who i'm sure will be shooting pucks one day if he's anything like his old man. Just want to get a thorough understanding.
Thanks y'all!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Maybe try teaching them how to eat the puck behind the boards if there is no play up the wing? Just pin it on the board and get the center to help out.

Or just fire it off the glass and out for icing. No penalty in that if there is no play.
Not a bad idea, but our centermen are always from being that reliable.
I will bring up something like that at our next coaches meeting.

As for over the glass.. No way, I would guess one maybe 2 kids have that ability.
We did get them start listening to Willy as he called the play in our end.
He was telling them to wheel or to turn. Unfortunately, our forwards were not ready for the quick change of direction and often left us with no pass.

I hope it comes together for these guys at the level they have been placed. The great games we had against Midnapore will soon be forgotten. Midnapore is a level 7 team and we are placed at 5 . At this point I would guess that we should be at a level 6.

Thanks
Jamie