Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 06:46 PM

Default Some Cartridges Don’t Fit

I’m new to reloading and looking for some help. I’ve reloaded the cartridges and found a small number that don’t fit well in the rifle chamber (bolt is very tough to close). The brass was all second use on this load. Why did this happen with a few? How can I fix the issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
I’m new to reloading and looking for some help. I’ve reloaded the cartridges and found a small number that don’t fit well in the rifle chamber (bolt is very tough to close). The brass was all second use on this load. Why did this happen with a few? How can I fix the issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Need a few more details.
What caliber?
Did you FL size?.. or just neck-size?
Old 03-03-2024, 07:20 PM

Were all of the cases previously fired in the same rifle? Are you full length resizing? Were all sized cases measured for length? How far are the bullets seated off of the lands?
Old 03-03-2024, 08:18 PM

If the brass was previously fired in a rifle with sloppier chamber even if you full length resize the cases it doesn't re size the base of the cases to factory specs.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:19 PM

If your full length sizing make sure you have the die all the way down. If you're doing that most likely you just need to trim the brass. There could be lots of other issues but I'm assuming because you're new you're not jumping down the hoops of making bullets off the lands or doing partial length sizing etc.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:35 PM

More input needed!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:35 AM

Check bullet seating depth
Check primer seated properly
Has brass been fired out of different gun ?
Have you shot hot loads previously
Check die set up for full length resizing
Is brass all the same brand or a mixture
Old 03-04-2024, 06:40 AM

Default check to see

If your dies are set up properly for FL resizing.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:15 AM

Hi all,

It’s a 270WSM. Cartridges were all previously fired by the same gun. Did full length resizing and bullets are all seated to the same depth. Some cartridges fit well and I can close the bolt normally, others I can’t close the bolt. Thoughts?

Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

It’s a 270WSM. Cartridges were all previously fired by the same gun. Did full length resizing and bullets are all seated to the same depth. Some cartridges fit well and I can close the bolt normally, others I can’t close the bolt. Thoughts?

You have been given things to check, overall length, do the cases need to be trimmed because the necks on some are too long, easiest and common fix. If that isn't it, mark up the case with a sharpie and see if you can tell exactly where on the case you are binding up. At the tight spot, the sharpie should be removed or scuffed up. Once you know exactly what is binding easier to decide the fix. Let us know.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:24 AM

I would bet your seating die is set to far down and your bottoming out, creating a small swell at the shoulder that wont chamber.

RCBS press?

The sizing die gets setup different then the seating die, read the instructions again. You likely have the seating die threaded down till it touches the shell holder.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Did you measure the case lengths? How do you adjust your sizing die? Is the sizing die bottomed on the shellholder with the press handle down while sizing a case? You need to check while sizing a case, as some presses will flex a bit under load.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
I would bet your seating die is set to far down and your bottoming out, creating a small swell at the shoulder that wont chamber.

RCBS press?

The sizing die gets setup different then the seating die, read the instructions again. You likely have the seating die threaded down till it touches the shell holder.
It very well could be this. It could also be the seating die is set only a little too low and bulging the neck trying to crimp the neck to the bullet. There a a ton of things it could be, finding out where they are binding is kind of critical to figuring out what the actual issue is.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post

RCBS press?

The sizing die gets setup different then the seating die, read the instructions again. You likely have the seating
die threaded down till it touches the shell holder.
Good point, many people don't adjust their seating die properly, and bell the shoulder. I put a sized case in the shellholder, drop the press lever all the way, screw the seating die down until it touches the case, then back it off 1/4 turn.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I had a 270 short mag many years ago when they were pretty new to the market. I had the same thing happen, some cases were tight in the chamber. Ran cases thru the resizing die twice and fixed the problem. Doesn't make sense but it worked. The only time I have ever had a problem resizing.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:12 AM

What is the brand of rifle?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-04-2024, 09:20 AM

Default My $0.02

Question- if it was the seating die, wouldn't the issue be more consistent?

With this occurring randomly within a batch, I would start by checking case sizing with a micrometer and calipers. It could be springback after FL sizing or cases needing trimming. Both of theses situations occur randomly within a batch.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-04-2024, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have trimmed the brass and measured to ensure within 270WSM specs for length. I will check and reset the dies for depth and also try running those brass through twice to see if that fixes any “spring back”. Then if it is still binding, I’ll mark it with a sharpie to see where it is marking the shells. Thanks for this advice!

Oh, and it’s a Christensen rifle.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:39 AM

Lots of good suggestions here.....

There is one fail safe always go...

Back to the basics

a step may have been overlooked or rushed ( it happens )
Old 03-04-2024, 09:53 AM

Before you load any, try all of your sized cases in the chamber, that will help to isolate the issue.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:53 AM

with what you describe bolt closes on some not the others.....

shoulder issue....

your die is set incorrectly readjust ( a smidge ) ,

and when you pull the handle make sure you come full length on the die firmly if others fit properly you are off just a smidge

to me you pulled down firmer on some and not the others
Old 03-04-2024, 10:29 AM

May not be your problem....but , what is shoulder at on fired rounds ? What does it measure on sized rounds ? Are you bumping .003-.004 for hunting rifle
Old 03-04-2024, 11:00 AM

Check your primer seating as stated above.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:23 PM

I have found that in the case of crushed shoulders that it takes very little to stop a cartridge from chambering .
A good chamfer often helps as does a gentle start when seating as opposed to jammi g the press down.

Also, if the FL die is not set up properly in The first place it will not size down if a higher pressure load is used initially.
I would size an empty case and see if it will chamber, then load it and check again to eliminate the possibilities.
Cat
Old 03-04-2024, 01:18 PM

Just remember that if it was fired in that gun---the fired case will always go back in it. Hopefully you recorded new brass sizes from factory, fired sizes and sized sizes. What's different? One of those case dim's have to be different, base or neck dia, case OAL or base to datum on shoulder, neck OD on a loaded round, shoulder OD on a loaded round? Did you seat by COAL or base to Ogive, or use same COAL with a different bullet?
Old 03-04-2024, 05:05 PM

I have found that some of the rifles chambered in the short mag series have had extremely tight headspace. And others have had the same situation

I believe some of the tight fitting brass has had a little more “ spring back “ than the others and create a tight fit .

If this is the case with your rifle try sizing a whisker more.

I have had rifles that the headspace was so tight the bolt would not close on a go gauge. I have actually gone in with a reamer and lengthened the chamber a few thousandths
Old 03-04-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
More input needed!
In person consultation with an experienced reloader might be the best move.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-04-2024, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I have found that some of the rifles chambered in the short mag series have had extremely tight headspace. And others have had the same situation

I believe some of the tight fitting brass has had a little more “ spring back “ than the others and create a tight fit .

I have had rifles that the headspace was so tight the bolt would not close on a go gauge. I have actually gone in with a reamer and lengthened the chamber a few thousandths
My 270wsm tikka won't even chamber some factory shells, I was told that's a common issue with the tikka in short mags.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
My 270wsm tikka won't even chamber some factory shells, I was told that's a common issue with the tikka in short mags.
Short mags are in a league of their own, fat straight sided bodies, very steep shoulders and a short neck on top of that.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-04-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post

This is probably the issue.

-Billy Molls