Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Default Positive Role Models while hunting

After reading a post yesterday about someone who, as he said, “dispatched an animal” by driving over it after he shot it because it wasn’t dead yet. I was shocked. Furthermore, the replies to his post encouraged it. Last week I went for 2 hunts, both times I found myself in the middle of the woods and while on these ventures I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to be able to do this, especially at the inexpensive levies we pay. I saw Deer, Moose, Prairie Chickens, Squirrels, Coyote and Geese all while walking the woods with my friend. He brought his camera, I brought my gun. He shot more than I did and took some amazing pictures. We are so very blessed to be able to enjoy the wilderness the way we do and at the price we do. We simply hop in our vehicle with our gear and drive out to the country and go about our business. We make concessions for the less fortunate, the handicapped and I can even bring a friend from another province or country along and act as a guide for him. After reading that post I am left with the feeling that it won’t be like this for long. Am I the only one appreciative of the freedoms and the right to hunt that our country provides? I have the opportunity to go out to most parcels of crown owned land, hunt and stalk any legal animal, shoot it, bring it home and feed my family. And this is my right!

A good friend lives in Europe but grew up here in Alberta. The amount of money, time and effort that he would have to put into being able to hunt there makes it completely out of reach for him. And he makes very good living working there. It’s a minimum of 10000 euros just to take the course to qualify to write a test to obtain a hunting licence. Then add a gun licence, the cost of joining a hunting club, taxes associated with this, the rights to hunt on that property, list goes on. Many of us don’t know how lucky we have it.

I have hunted with a person who while walking by a tree pulls the trigger on a porcupine munching on bark. I asked him why he did that? He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders and said “cause I felt like it”. Really? I don’t hunt with him any longer…. If we cannot respect the animals and what nature provides then we are not very good stewards of the land. Encouraging that behavior only exacerbates the loss of that right. We are moving in a direction of removing that freedom from those who have not yet been born yet. It’s hunting season! This is the time of year that I looked forward to the moment the previous one ends. The thought of losing this because of the lack of foresight and utter stupidity of the laws this person broke simply astounds me.

What kind of post was this to the impressionable? The young up and coming hunters who will take over the sport when we are too old? What about the man who has to explain to his son what kind of person does this and why he did this when we’re trying to promote positivity and good ethics.
In the past few years I have been walking through the woods on trails where I ask myself “I wonder if anyone has walked this path before” I feel pleased at that moment knowing that I can escape the hectic hustle and bustle of civilized world and my work week. It’s one of the many reasons I hunt. And then I stumble upon non-biodegradable chocolate bar wrapper or some other garbage and wonder why someone did that. In the past hunting season I also had the pleasure of looking down a cutline and through my binoculars I saw another man looking back at me through his rifle scope all on private land that only I was told I have permission on. Is it because of a lack of education? Is it because these people don’t care? Is it a lack of judgement, something we all can be guilty off from one time or another?

This story of this individual shooting a Coyote on a roadway and then running it over with his vehicle, the lack of respect for the animal, the lack of thought prior to posting about such an act is appalling. There are many reasons to hunt and shoot a Coyote, Bear, Wolf or other fur bearing animal. If you’re a Farmer, a trapper or hunter or otherwise and you do it respectfully then it’s a story to tell which many of us will enjoy. To do it in a way that disrespects the animals life is sad. I hope we can move on from this and all takesomething positive away from it.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Excellent post, and no, you are not alone.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Excellent post, and no, you are not alone.
x2, Very well written and thought out . Though it is easy to see that Gman's views are not shared and agreed upon by some on here , I would hope he is supported by the majority even though they may choose to remain silent .
Old 11-10-2013, 12:36 PM

My feelings exactly, you have a special way of explaining you're concerns. It would be an honor to walk a mile with you.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:38 PM

hear, hear
Old 11-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Glad to see someone is still thinking straight. Damn good post.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
My feelings exactly, you have a special way of explaining you're concerns. It would be an honor to walk a mile with you.
X2
Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM

" Thunderous applause!!!!!"
Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Great post Gman.

As mentioned about another hunter on another thread, respect and integrity - you sound full of it!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Agree....good post.

LC
Old 11-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Banned

Ditto.

They may want to start by getting the typos out of the online course
Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Great post Gman.

As mentioned about another hunter on another thread, respect and integrity - you sound full of it!
x2

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Thumbs up wow!!!!

Well said!!! I knew there were others out there that felt as I did!!! You spoke volumes there gman....its good to know there are still respectful, decent people out there....You send and said all the right things!!!! My hats off to you!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Couldnt agree more

times they are a changing and it is not always good change.
Respect is the missing ingredient in many of societies woes these days not just hunting/outdoors pursuits.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks Gman, a well thought out and important post.

Many people mimic what they see and read, that's human nature. It is critical to present our values as an alternative to opposing standards.

I hold as much respect for this Individual as he does for coyotes.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks for putting up this awesome post.

After reading the other one I wasn't impressed at all with the actions of the OP.

I was also shocked at the number that didn't seem to see anything wrong with his actions.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 11-10-2013, 02:09 PM

I didn't participate in that thread but it certainly educated me to have no respect for the ethically-challenged OP that started it. I personally hope the suspension is converted into a ban, as ethical hunters we don't need his type dragging us all down in the eyes of the non-hunting public.

At least we don't have to give up entirely when there are those among us who actually do positive things, I'll use the cat rescue & adoption thread as but one recent example.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 PM

When I read that post first thing I thought that if it was a deer then everyone would be disgusted! Coyotes have a bad rep but they still deserve respect as an animal.

I'd like to see everyone that shoots these animals for sport actually do something with them instead of just blowing them away and leaving them to rot.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Well folks, for all those saying "hear hear", who is willing to step up and take a new hunter? I agree running over a coyote is probably not what I'd do, but before I whinge about 'lack of ethics' among the 'new hunters', I'd make DAMN sure I did my bit to inconvenience myself and pass some knowledge and respect on.

How many of you have posted in the "looking for a hunting partner" thread that you will take a newbie out for a day or a weekend? Go out with a greenhorn, KNOW that you will likely impede your chances as they won't likely have the scnetlock 9000 digicam gear, they won't have the rifle skills, etc. That's what being a new hunter is about, but having a mentor is what breeds competence and respect, and a mentor is someone willing to give up some of their own success to help someone else.

I know there's a number of people in here who are willing to give their time, but there's a lot of preachy folks who have never gone out of their way to teach a new hunter anything.

Talk is cheap folks. Want to talk about a problem? Be part of the solution first.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
Well folks, for all those saying "hear hear", who is willing to step up and take a new hunter? I agree running over a coyote is probably not what I'd do, but before I whinge about 'lack of ethics' among the 'new hunters', I'd make DAMN sure I did my bit to inconvenience myself and pass some knowledge and respect on.

How many of you have posted in the "looking for a hunting partner" thread that you will take a newbie out for a day or a weekend? Go out with a greenhorn, KNOW that you will likely impede your chances as they won't likely have the scnetlock 9000 digicam gear, they won't have the rifle skills, etc. That's what being a new hunter is about, but having a mentor is what breeds competence and respect, and a mentor is someone willing to give up some of their own success to help someone else.

I know there's a number of people in here who are willing to give their time, but there's a lot of preachy folks who have never gone out of their way to teach a new hunter anything.

Talk is cheap folks. Want to talk about a problem? Be part of the solution first.
My son inlaw has been hunting with me this year. He expressed an interest in it this past summer and took his firearms course . I presented him with a 270 from my gun locker and he has been along several times . He is becoming a very good hunter and truly enjoys being out there . So ya been busy showing him the game and have done it in the past with others .

And yourself?

Last edited by jungleboy; 11-10-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post

Just curious, who on this thread are you referring to? Or are you just making general statements of which you know nothing about?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM

As a guy in my mid 20's new to hunting and havent really been around anyone who hunts i was a little worried that the hunting community was full of these sort of dis-respectful types.

Taking the hunting course i was relieved to find that it was very 'respect' orientated and feel comfortable with the thought of maybe oneday calling my self a hunter. I can understand the farmers who day in day out are robbed of their livestock because of predators but at the end of the day it is just a part of nature and cannot be looked down upon as the animal is only doing what its instinctual calling is and trying to survive. To dispatch an animal via driving over it and then to brag anonymously online to the community is just downright unsportsman-like and disgusting in my eyes.

Being the new guy to jump over to the other side of the hunting fence, i suggest that if the community dosnt wish to be labled as a bunch of redneck savages that are looked down upon in this ever more sensitive society, we keep these unmoral dispatching methods to yourselves or better yet not partake in them to begin with.

Good to know there are like-minded people in here and im not making the wrong decision getting into this 'hobby'
Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Default It's about respect

Here here!

It's about respect. Respect for nature. Respect for the skill. Respect for yourself and others. That's what it's about for me anyway.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Right from gophers up to moose....I always strive for the closest thing to a one shot kill....if I get up to something and its still alive, it gets another bullet or the knife comes out....never been able to stand and watch or wait for something to die. The sooner it's over the better....what makes me upset is when someone laughs at or mocks something they are hunting. I was taught respect of the hunt and the kill....that seems to be missing in a lot of folks.

LC
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 PM

I have written in the past on here that I feel no remorse when I take an animal which is true ,but I also do everything in my power to make a quick humane kill with the least amount of suffering .The animal is providing food for my family and the least I can do is make it quick and be respectful about it.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Nicely said, well done!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Right from gophers up to moose....I always strive for the closest thing to a one shot kill....if I get up to something and its still alive, it gets another bullet or the knife comes out....never been able to stand and watch or wait for something to die. The sooner it's over the better....what makes me upset is when someone laughs at or mocks something they are hunting. I was taught respect of the hunt and the kill....that seems to be missing in a lot of folks.

LC
I agree Lefty , as I watch a bunch of TV hunting shows and see the fist pumping, chest pounding, laughing that goes on I am totally turned off by their lack of respect that they show their quarry .It's OK to get excited , that's why we do it ,but you'd think they would show a little respect.JMO.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
And yourself?
A good and fair question! I'm what you would call a new big game hunter. I've been waterfowling for a few years (and have taken out new shooters whenever I can. I'm not good enough to make it successful all the time, but I do whatever I can.
Additionally, I have been shooting for a number of years, and I CONSISTENTLY try and introduce people to shooting by taking them to a controlled environment, letting them shoot my guns, my ammo, and showing them how to do it safely and respectfully. Go through my post history though, the proof is in the pudding my friend, not the words.
While I edited the rest of your quote, I would like to say that it is EXACTLY what I was talking about though. Someone who has done it, making sacrifices and showing someone new. I wish there was more folks like you out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
Just curious, who on this thread are you referring to? Or are you just making general statements of which you know nothing about?
Hahaha, certainly not pointing the finger at anyone. I don't welcome the accusatory tone about knowing nothing about it, that's not needed or welcome. I KNOW there are just some amazingly patient mentoring-type people on this board, and I know there are many in this thread.
I have personally received (and accepted) a couple different offers from members on this board to go hunting. Each time I go I learn as much as I can. In return I've made offers to take other folks out, and I'm happy to continue doing so. I've found that there are a large number of people on this board who do the same, and it's something that makes this community great.

My comments were pointed at those who simply go out in the woods to their secret spot every year, book their kill, and then complain about how hunter ethics are going to ****. You and I both know they are there (I'm sure you can name a few, I know I can).

Sure, maybe the jack*****es can't be taught, but there's a lot of new hunters out there looking for some ideas. Show those guys how you hunt, and you will forever be 'the smart old guy who taught me how to do this stuff'.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Great post - very well said!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 PM

I came to hunting later in life and was the recipient of a gift from a generous experienced hunter who gave his time and hunting opportunity to show me the ropes.

He asked nothing in return and subsequently we have become friends.

Since then I have read some books and discovered everything he told me was complete LIES!!!! Joke (he reads some of these posts - lol)

It's a favour I hope to repay some day by doing the same for some other.

Lemonz