Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
bro·ken rec·ord

noun

noun: broken record; plural noun: broken records; noun: stuck record; plural noun: stuck records

used, especially in similes, to refer to a person's constant and annoying repetition of a particular statement or opinion.

Used in a example sentence by Tall Texan:
"at the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me repeat: it will be difficult to catch any. Brookies are tough to find and catch"
If your world revolves around "mindless politics", "uninformed people", and "broken records", so be it. It's fine with me, I'm neither insulted or value your opinion.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 AM

Did you have to get you cowboy hat specifically made for that head of yours?
You must have had to custom build the doors in your house to I imagine.....
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
If your world revolves around "mindless politics", "uninformed people", and "broken records", so be it. It's fine with me, I'm neither insulted or value your opinion.
That happens on this forum a lot. If you have an opinion that doesn't generally agree with the majority, be prepared to get cut down. It's quite sad but I'm glad to see that a new member is standing up for themselves, welcome to the forum
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
That happens on this forum a lot. If you have an opinion that doesn't generally agree with the majority, be prepared to get cut down. It's quite sad but I'm glad to see that a new member is standing up for themselves, welcome to the forum
Really?? I've never noticed...
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM

While perhaps i may have said Elk Creek is stuffed full of hybrids... I understand how that might be misconstrued. A hybrid doesn't necessarily have to show serious characteristic of either fish, and the problem with brook trout is that they do get every where and they do interbreed with bull trout. You dont necessarily have to see vermiculation on the dorsal, or even the halo's which are a tell tale sign of a hybrid. Sometimes its as little as a black mouth that points towards hybrids, and once the brook trout is in similar waters as bull trout it really doesn't take much for the genetics to become polluted. Brook trout mature at a much younger age then other trout, and not only do they pose a threat to bull trout, but they also pose a threat to cutthroat trout. Yes, I'm not pulling this off a data sheet, however I spend quite a bit of time on the water with land reclamation experts, who do also have their electrofishing permits, as well as forestry experts who spend time on these waters for industry, I'm not just basing my argument/opinion on my own personal experience.

I think quirk creek is a fine example as to how badly a brook trout can out compete cutthroat, and is just within this last two years with the stewardship project, showing signs of cutthroat and bull trout numbers coming back.

Next time you catch a blackstone, clearwater (elk Creek) bull trout, take a look in its mouth. You'd be surprised how many fish are "tainted". Yes at times elk creek does have "big" bull trout in it (typically spawning season). Big meaning a mature bull trout, however it rarely ever sees what the rest of western Canada considers to actually be a "big" bull trout.

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 09-16-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
While perhaps i may have said Elk Creek is stuffed full of hybrids... I understand how that might be misconstrued. A hybrid doesn't necessarily have to show serious characteristic of either fish, and the problem with brook trout is that they do get every where and they do interbreed with bull trout. You dont necessarily have to see vermiculation on the dorsal, or even the halo's which are a tell tale sign of a hybrid. Sometimes its as little as a black mouth that points towards hybrids, and once the brook trout is in similar waters as bull trout it really doesn't take much for the genetics to become polluted. Brook trout mature at a much younger age then other trout, and not only do they pose a threat to bull trout, but they also pose a threat to cutthroat trout. Yes, I'm not pulling this off a data sheet, however I spend quite a bit of time on the water with land reclamation experts, who do also have their electrofishing permits, as well as forestry experts who spend time on these waters for industry, I'm not just basing my argument/opinion on my own personal experience.

I think quirk creek is a fine example as to how badly a brook trout can out compete cutthroat, and is just within this last two years with the stewardship project, showing signs of cutthroat and bull trout numbers coming back.

Next time you catch a blackstone, clearwater (elk Creek) bull trout, take a look in its mouth. You'd be surprised how many fish are "tainted". Yes at times elk creek does have "big" bull trout in it (typically spawning season). Big meaning a mature bull trout, however it rarely ever sees what the rest of western Canada considers to actually be a "big" bull trout.
And this is due to hybridization? How about habitat which dries up or freezes often? Bull trout in Elk Creek are no different in size than they were 50 years ago, just less in number. Mature does not equate with big. The ones I am talking about are permanent fish usually in the same hole or remnant of a dam, they are not spawners from the Clearwater.Their hay day was when there were beaver which provided them with more food and over wintering habitat. This is gone now and has dramatically reduced the fishing for browns and bulls in both size and numbers. I assume their are brooks left but I haven't seen one for at least 2 years.

Quirk creek is not a fine example it is an anomaly. Does the Saskatchewan drainage have any brook trout in it? Must not because bulls get to 14 and 15 pounds that I know of in it and it's tributaries. Again same size and number as 50 years ago. One of 9 pounds 2 months ago.

This brook trout bull trout hybridization thing is vastly over rated unless possibly we are talking in the hundreds of years. It does give biologists something to do, like ruin Muskiki lake and then retire. It will be interesting to see if the new government carries on with this nonsense.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post

And this is due to hybridization? How about habitat which dries up or freezes often? Bull trout in Elk Creek are no different in size than they were 50 years ago, just less in number. Mature does not equate with big. The ones I am talking about are permanent fish usually in the same hole or remnant of a dam, they are not spawners from the Clearwater.Their hay day was when there were beaver which provided them with more food and over wintering habitat. This is gone now and has dramatically reduced the fishing for browns and bulls in both size and numbers. I assume their are brooks left but I haven't seen one for at least 2 years.

Quirk creek is not a fine example it is an anomaly. Does the Saskatchewan drainage have any brook trout in it? Must not because bulls get to 14 and 15 pounds that I know of in it and it's tributaries. Again same size and number as 50 years ago. One of 9 pounds 2 months ago.

This brook trout bull trout hybridization thing is vastly over rated unless possibly we are talking in the hundreds of years. It does give biologists something to do, like ruin Muskiki lake and then retire. It will be interesting to see if the new government carries on with this nonsense.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 AM

Somewhere buried under all these extra posts is the original report - great report and great pics.

Tall Texan, maybe I was wrong and it is just that you are new to AO. If you go back to the main Fly Fishing Discussion forum. There is a button called "New Thread". Try it. You might be surprised by the "magic" it performs on your behalf.

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 09-17-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Somewhere buried under all these extra posts is the original report - great report and great pics.

Tall Texan, maybe I was wrong and it is just that you are new to AO. If you go back to the main Fly Fishing Discussion forum. There is a button called "New Thread". Try it. You might be surprised by the "magic" it performs on your behalf.
There are two sides to every story [report] and I think my comments have all been appropriate and something all fishermen should be aware of. However, Speckles55, if you would rather I not comment on your post I'll gladly step back. Just pm me or directly on the forum.