Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2015, 04:59 PM

Default And this ain't cheap

Guys,

Post after post says something like " I want the best there is at less than ????"

How about something that ain't built in China but in Calgary. see: http://thetravellerreel.com/

And ultimately you get what you pay for.

Don
Old 01-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned

Don

Was this the reel you mentioned about seeing at the FF show in Calgary?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Don

Was this the reel you mentioned about seeing at the FF show in Calgary?
Yes Weedy that's the one. Read the article before posting stupid questions.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 PM

Weedy,

Self abuse will get you locked up.

Don
Old 02-01-2015, 07:26 PM

Don,

Any rumour on what the price point will be on this?

Mike
Old 02-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Mike,

Not sure - best contact the reel builders for a firm price.

Don
Old 02-02-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77mse77 View Post
Don,

Any rumour on what the price point will be on this?

Mike
I was told around $1300, which really isn't that much considering you end up with 4 different size reels. These guys have been working on this concept for quite a few years and nice to see it finally come to fruition for them.

Colin
Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM

Interesting idea but personally I don't like the concept.

First, when I go on saltwater excursions I like to have a couple of rods set up for different species of fish. I will set up a 8wt, a 10wt and usually will have a third rod and reel set in case I break off and I need to get another cast out right away.

Second, when I fish the Bow with the drift boat I will have a 4wt, 5wt and a 6wt set up. Again a dry fly rig, the 5wt for a hopper/ dropper or nymph and a 6wt for streamer fishing.

If I am walking a stream, then I usually just take one rod and reel with me so maybe that is where this concept would work for me, but......if it is around the $1300 range, it really doesn't make it a less expensive alternative.

There are great reels in the $200 range that will get the job done for the freshwater fishing and then reels like the Galvan around the $400 range for the Saltwater fishing. I can buy several reels that will cover the same spectrum as the one reel. If that reel were to fail, your fishing is done until you get the reel fixed or replaced. With multiple reels you will be able to find something to get you through the fishing season in case something went wrong with one of the few reels.

Kudos to the guys who have spent their time and effort coming up with this concept, but it doesn't make sense for most of my needs.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM

I can't think of any situation where I need to have reels available from 3 to 9 weight at the same time with me, and carrying the rods in that range. What I always need are several reels all of the same weight, and the rods with those lines pre-rigged. For those situations I will need to buy four or five of these systems to be ready to go. Quite often when I am out in the boat there are 4 rods rigged with 5 weight lines, and another 4 spools with different setups for changing presentations. All my fishing buddies do the same.

Now if you are traveling to situation where you do take 4 rods from3 to 9 weight and this system, would you have only 4 lines, one of each weight? Forget about floater, sink tip, intermediate, slow sink, fast sink, x-fast sink. What if the reel fails? On one trip to interior BC I took 20 reels with different lines and used each of them at some point in the trip. I don't understand what this system is supposed to do.

For me this reel system does not provide any benefit and would cost over $5000 to serve the same purpose.

Last edited by badger; 02-02-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Seems to me the drag adjustment was by way of using a dime or a screwdriver to adjust it, didn't come across as all that well thought out in that dept., I got the impression it needed some work on that end.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM

The website shows the reel weighs between 8.1 and 8.4 oz depending on configuration. I suspect this means the 2/3 size spool set up would be 8.1 oz. Seems too heavy for a light rod to balance reasonably. I would typically want a reel weighing less than half that on a 2/3 weight rod.

Its a cool idea and I love the flying eyeball/fly reel design on it. I almost want one just for the graphic but doubt I'd ever use it due to the weight of it. Maybe it would be better suited to long Spey or switch type rods.

Wish them the best of luck anyway. It's neat having another Canadian company in fly fishing.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM

The demo at the show was good. It looks interesting, I was told around 1400$ for the whole set in a pelican case.
The only way I would want this, is if I was on the coast steelheading or salmon fishing and had multi rods in the boat.
I signed up for the news letter and it came today, the idea is good and locally made is great.