Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Advice on 8wt Setup

Hey all, looking for some quick advice. I received some G/C for Cabelas for Christmas, and next week will be heading to Edmonton to get myself set up for an 8wt combo. Will be looking to catch pike and walleye here at home, and something that I can play in the rivers with if/when I go to BC in the summers.
What setup should I be looking at to be around $250. While I'm still quite novice, I don't need anything fancy. Should I stick with floating line and get different tips?

Also, where is a good place to pick up big pike streamers?

Thanks all.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Is that your budget for the whole set up? Rod,reel, line, leaders, ?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:44 PM

"big" pike streamers will be somewhat tough to come by. A good place to look here in Edmonton is wholesale sports, i believe they have a selection of rainys flies that can get the job done, however they still dont have the proper sized flies. However if you're looking for truly "big" pike on flies... perhaps the only fun sized pike on a fly, its tough to find a fly shop around here that will sell 8-14" streamers that you should really be throwing for pike if you're looking for big ones. As you will see, the right flies... are not cheap. But they work.

http://rusuperfly.com/

Theres two-three streamers in there that would be on the small side of what you should be fishing. The 8 Inch Double D, and the Slop Mop Deceiver, Even the Slop Mop Sculpin in the 8" size would be a good choice. This is still on the small side of what you should be fishing. A quick google search of musky flies, will show you what is common place when you're out looking for 36"+ fish.

As far as setups go, 250 is quite tight.

I would suggest leaning toward an Echo, their new "base" series is about 90$ MSRP, however I do not know if cabelas carries that rod, the next step up from that rod is their ION series. I would suggest an 8-9wt for the applications you're looking at.

If you're mainly looking at lines, i should suggest a Rio outbound short line in full floating that matches your rod weight. It will have the mass to turn over pike flies, along with handle sinking tips when you need them in BC. Your line is the most important part of your setup when handling bigger rigs, so i would not suggest cheaping out, and outbound line is about 90 bucks when all said and done.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...utbound-short/

Next you're looking at reel

To stay close to your budget and still have some sort of stopping power, an Echo Ion 8-10 Reel will handle whatever is thrown your way. I watched these reels stop Chinook in northern bc, they are extremely durable, and you dont have to worry about nicking up an anodized aluminum reel.

That is a pretty basic setup between the rod/reel/line for your applications, it will get the job done. But it will be slightly over your budget. When you're looking at handling bigger fish and bigger flies, its best to buy something of decent quality, so you can get the job done properly. Fly rod/reel kits will set you up poorly for bigger fish.

Anymore questions you have I can answer via PM, hope this steers you in the right direction.

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 01-18-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM

If you look at the Cabelas website , http://www.cabelas.ca/category/rod-reel-combos/843 , they have a few combos under $250. The best one is probably the TFO.
You may want to call the stores ahead of time to check for stock.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
"big" pike streamers will be somewhat tough to come by. A good place to look here in Edmonton is wholesale sports, i believe they have a selection of rainys flies that can get the job done, however they still dont have the proper sized flies. However if you're looking for truly "big" pike on flies... perhaps the only fun sized pike on a fly, its tough to find a fly shop around here that will sell 8-14" streamers that you should really be throwing for pike if you're looking for big ones. As you will see, the right flies... are not cheap. But they work.

http://rusuperfly.com/

Theres two-three streamers in there that would be on the small side of what you should be fishing. The 8 Inch Double D, and the Slop Mop Deceiver, Even the Slop Mop Sculpin in the 8" size would be a good choice. This is still on the small side of what you should be fishing. A quick google search of musky flies, will show you what is common place when you're out looking for 36"+ fish.

As far as setups go, 250 is quite tight.

I would suggest leaning toward an Echo, their new "base" series is about 90$ MSRP, however I do not know if cabelas carries that rod, the next step up from that rod is their ION series. I would suggest an 8-9wt for the applications you're looking at.

If you're mainly looking at lines, i should suggest a Rio outbound short line in full floating that matches your rod weight. It will have the mass to turn over pike flies, along with handle sinking tips when you need them in BC. Your line is the most important part of your setup when handling bigger rigs, so i would not suggest cheaping out, and outbound line is about 90 bucks when all said and done.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...utbound-short/

Next you're looking at reel

To stay close to your budget and still have some sort of stopping power, an Echo Ion 8-10 Reel will handle whatever is thrown your way. I watched these reels stop Chinook in northern bc, they are extremely durable, and you dont have to worry about nicking up an anodized aluminum reel.

That is a pretty basic setup between the rod/reel/line for your applications, it will get the job done. But it will be slightly over your budget. When you're looking at handling bigger fish and bigger flies, its best to buy something of decent quality, so you can get the job done properly. Fly rod/reel kits will set you up poorly for bigger fish.

Anymore questions you have I can answer via PM, hope this steers you in the right direction.

Awesome info, I appreciate it. As far as $250, that's where I'd like to be, but will do what needs to be done. I'm just not looking to invest a huge amount of money into this rig. The pike at home would be about 36" at largest.
I'll use this info and go from there.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:07 PM

Mike,

If you decide that what i mentioned is too much $, or is unavailable at the store to buy, and you decide to go with a pre assembled kit. I strongly recommend you pick up the 8wt Rio Outbound Line Floating line, and re spool the reel with it. Usually combos come with crap line, and the rio outbound line will make whatever you decide to purchase, more enjoyable/easier to fish with. (Tip, if you buy a setup that is rated as a half weight as in 8/9 or a 7/8, make sure you buy the outbound in the lower rod weight class... if that makes sense. If its a 7/8wt rod buy a 7wt outbound, or if its an 8/9, buy the 8wt outbound)

I will say, in all those combos that cabelas lists, none of those setups (perhaps the ross...) come with a reel that will dependable should a bigger fish come your way. For the most part you wont need much of a drag for pike and walleye. But if you end up out in BC like you say, those reels could easily blow up into a million pieces if a chum, chinook or an angry coho decides its going back to the ocean.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 PM

A TFO BVK is a great rod and the Rio Outbound Short is a great line thats the exact set up that I have and it works awesome.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 AM

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you might be new to fly fishing. If that is the case, an 8wt wouldn't be the first rod I'd buy. I'd pick up a 6 wt. That's going to be a lot more versatile here in Alberta and BC (better for most rivers, streams, works on lakes).

However, if you really want an 8 wt.... I said this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here. An 8 weight rod is a perfect bonefish flats fishing rod. Make sure whatever reel you get has a sealed drag system and is rated for salt water. Then you can use it anywhere. However, that's going to be a little more expensive than what you have planned to spend. I just think getting an 8wt you can't use in salt water is a bit of a waste. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:42 PM

Echo Ion and a Lamson Konic reel for pike. Drag on the lamson is top notch and the Ion also awesome bang for your buck.

As I've said before, IMO TFO rods are decent, but you can get an Echo or a Greys for around the same price and it'll be a step up.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM

New to the fly myself this past summer, but already planning for an 8-wt setup too for some pike fishing. The Lamson Konic is a great reel in my opinion... very durable and perfect for a less-than-graceful person like me. I have 2 of them so far-- one for my 4 wt and the other for my 5 & 6wts. The Konic, while it can still be found in the odd place, has been discontinued and replaced by the Liquid; I will probably go with either it or the Remix for my 8wt. They sell an agressively priced Liquid pack with 3 spools, which is very tempting. That combined with, say, the BVK would exceed your budget. However, the BVK rated very well in the YellowstoneAngler 8wt shootout (right up there with the big boys like the NRX and Helios).

I'd echo what's been said about upgrading the line. The first setup I purchased was an "outfit" that I returned in frustration after only a couple of weeks. In hindsight, a premium line likely would have made the setup much more useable.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Even an echo solo with a large arbor reel with a good drag. The most important thing is buying the best line you can. Don't think you can get away with buying an all around line. If you are planning to go after pike buy a line that has a monstrous front taper. It will assist you in casting big flies that soak up ton of water. Your shoulder will thank you. If your planing on fishing for trout get a regular weight forward. But spend the money on really good line its just as if not more important then the rod
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM

I always recommend the Reddington Predator for an awesome budget 8 wt. I have a couple high end 8 wt rods and the Predator in my opinion , gives just as much performance as the others.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up spending some time at Cabelas Edmonton South. Norm there was super helpful. Narrowed it down to two rods and he brought me outside to cast them.

I ended up getting a TFO Professional Series 8wt, Lamson Konic Reel, and RIO Pike line. Had a good experience, and am pretty excited.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 AM

I don't know anything anoint the Loop Booster but I'll add my 2c. I have a Dancraft 8wt I assembled years ago that is ultra fast. I don't like it. It feels like I am fishing with a stick. I told Dan I wasn't really a fan and he recommended I try his 5 Rivers line of rods which are a little softer . I put together a 9'6", 6 wt 5 rivers and I love it. I feel like the rod is doing the work instead of me and I am way more accurate with it. To summ it up I prefer a medium action rod over fast for streamers. My friend loves his St. Croix Bank Robber which is fast through the lower 2/3 but softer at the top. I cast it for a few minutes and didn't like it. I think that rod is too stiff though the bottom and too soft at the tip. Great for bringing a fish in but strange to cast.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by French_Mike View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up spending some time at Cabelas Edmonton South. Norm there was super helpful. Narrowed it down to two rods and he brought me outside to cast them.

I ended up getting a TFO Professional Series 8wt, Lamson Konic Reel, and RIO Pike line. Had a good experience, and am pretty excited.
Nice! Now for the spring thaw to come...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by French_Mike View Post

Congrats on your new toy. How much did it end up costing?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
Congrats on your new toy. How much did it end up costing?
I think about $420 with line and backing. All in all very happy.