Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Ice Fishing advise needed

I am hoping to take my son(4 year old) to do some ice fishing this set of days off.

I found a place that rents huts on both Gull and Sylvan that look great and they rent all the gear as well.It will be the first time that I have ice fished so I was looking for any tips for the beginer.

Also which lake would give us the best chance of catching fish. I'm not to worried about size just want the little guy to catch some fish and have some fun. I have been wanting to get into ice fishing and this is the perfect excuse.

If a guy was to buy some gear what would the essentials to get started aside from an auger.

Thanks guys

Hilgy
Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Rod, reel, line, 1/2 dozen white jigs in various weights. Tub of medium size minnows. Leaders if going for pike. Scoop for cleaning out the hole. Something to sit on, could use a pail or plastic milk crate.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM

After an auger I would say that a shack and heater would be the next logical investment especially if you are fishing with kids. Thats assuming you have rods and tip ups.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
I am hoping to take my son(4 year old) to do some ice fishing this set of days off.

I found a place that rents huts on both Gull and Sylvan that look great and they rent all the gear as well.It will be the first time that I have ice fished so I was looking for any tips for the beginner.

Also which lake would give us the best chance of catching fish. I'm not to worried about size just want the little guy to catch some fish and have some fun. I have been wanting to get into ice fishing and this is the perfect excuse.

If a guy was to buy some gear what would the essentials to get started aside from an auger.

Thanks guys

Hilgy
Ice fishing can be as cheep or as expensive as you make it. First off Id suggest , pick up an auger , and a couple rods.Typically fish the same places you do in summer , and try the spots you fish then as you do in winter.Also get some small micro hooks for perch , and some larger 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz jigs and get some maggots , shrimp and minnows. You'll use minnows for pike and walleye and burbot , use maggots and shrimp along with micro hook for perch and white fish.And the rest is patients.Bring along sandwiches and coffee and hot chocolate and your set.Both lakes youve mentioned are both great.Gull lake might be more productive for you though.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Of the Two Lakes Sylvan is more Productive for me it has been anyhow, I like it because the water is much more clear also which makes seeing the fish and the bottom easier. just use a small jig and minnow and a Jigging spoon and maybe put a shiner in between the two and you should have pretty good luck I usualy fish the North West end of the lake but i know some people who have been catching them off RR 23 as well but i havnt had a chance to check it out yet.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM

It depends on what you are fishing. If I'm fishing for perch I don't need to bring anything other than an auger, a spool of line, a couple hooks & some maggots. Trout I might bring a rod and some jigs. Pike I'll bring a rod for sure, extra line, tip-up, my whole tackle box... The bigger the fish, the more I take, hehe.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I found a place that rents huts on both Gull and Sylvan that look great and they rent all the gear as well.It will be the first time that I have ice fished so I was looking for any tips for the beginer.

Thanks guys

Hilgy
Problem with 4 year olds is that they have about 15-20 minutes of attention for fishing. I would suggest you go to a stock trout lake fish for 15 minutes then play on the ice and snow with him then fish for another 15 minutes. Going somewhere that has pike would be good as you can set up some tip ups.

While exciting to catch a fish...4 year olds get bored fast. Be very, very careful not to "teach" him that fishing with dad is boring! Many dads make this mistake. Take plenty of stuff to do from skating, tobogganing, snacks, extra boots, gloves, toque, snow pants etc. Kids also sometimes do not like to see the fish killed. I would recommend releasing them for a while until he gets used to the activity.

Get him hooked on "fun" gets him hooked on "fishing"!

Just my advice from experience!

Cheers

Sun
Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM

You might find some tips here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=25708
Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Problem with 4 year olds is that they have about 15-20 minutes of attention for fishing. I would suggest you go to a stock trout lake fish for 15 minutes then play on the ice and snow with him then fish for another 15 minutes. Going somewhere that has pike would be good as you can set up some tip ups.

While exciting to catch a fish...4 year olds get bored fast. Be very, very careful not to "teach" him that fishing with dad is boring! Many dads make this mistake. Take plenty of stuff to do from skating, tobogganing, snacks, extra boots, gloves, toque, snow pants etc. Kids also sometimes do not like to see the fish killed. I would recommend releasing them for a while until he gets used to the activity.

Get him hooked on "fun" gets him hooked on "fishing"!

Just my advice from experience!

Cheers

Sun
This is great advice.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks for all the advise guys. All good tips.

I think that I will pick up a couple rods for sure. Does a regular spinning reel fit on the small ice fishing rods???

How bout line??? Do you use anything different(might be a dumb ???)

As far as the 4 year old goes he is probably more paitient than his Dad. He has been fishing since he was 2 both in the lakes and ocean back home. I know what you mean though sundance about the attention span. I'm just lucky to have a 4 year old that loves to outdoors both fishing and hunting.

Hilgy
Old 01-16-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I think that I will pick up a couple rods for sure. Does a regular spinning reel fit on the small ice fishing rods???

As far as the 4 year old goes he is probably more paitient than his Dad. He has been fishing since he was 2 both in the lakes and ocean back home. I know what you mean though sundance about the attention span. I'm just lucky to have a 4 year old that loves to outdoors both fishing and hunting.

Hilgy
Your regular reel should fit an ice fishing rod. I don't use any different line.

I'm in the same boat as you. My nephew is now 5, but he has been fishing with me for a long time now. He's never happier than when he is sitting next to me with a hook in the water. Even when he doesn't catch a thing all day, he'll sit patiently and chat with me about fish.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Hilgy
Like I said you can make it as cheep or as expensive as youd like . Personally I use a Ice fishing line , that doesnt freeze up un like other regular lines you may use in summer , Like Cajun line Its amazing stuff . I also like to use The braided line for pike , walleye , and Burbot , but Mono Line for perch and whites . Uh If you use , a steel leader , or even a 100 lb florocarbin leader , youd be in great shape . Throw a Bright green , jig head on and use a 6 inch minnow and Lay right into them pike . You can also use tip ups and just jig for Perch and whites .Its tottaly up to you , feel free to Pm me for anymore advise , always willing to help the new folks out.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:46 PM

If your trying to keep the cost down, just use regular fishing line. I been ice-fishing for about 30 years and all I use is 12lb mono for perch + walleye. If I'm fishing for pike (hopefully big ones), I use 25lb braided with a steel leader. You don't have to break the bank buying fishing supplies.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
You don't have to break the bank buying fishing supplies.
Don't let my wife know...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM

I was just talking to the people that are renting us the hut and they also rent all the gear for 10$ so I think I will do that for Sunday.

How is the pike fishing on Gull right now???

Keep the advise coming boys and girls I'm taking notes..

Thanks Hilgy
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM

$10 for all the gear is a great deal, ask about bait tho. 6 or 8in smelts catch big pike.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 AM

Cant believe this wasnt mentioned already. First aid kit. Ice augers are razor sharp. Better safe than sorry.