Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Default Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Just looking for alberta or western Canada contacts and info on this breed if anyone can help?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 AM

there is a breeder up around grande prairie that i have talked with a few years ago. try googling ... you'll find her. a nice lady with good stock.

i got my griff from quebec ... i believe the breeder's name was tremblay.

they are nice dogs. the ones i have seen are quite good natured. BUT they are a hunting dog and have an "over abundance" of energy.

ergo ... they are goofier than labs ... if you can believe it!

tramp is turning into a h--- of a pointer, all on his own as i never trained him to point. loves swimming but not too keen on retrieving ducks. when he was younger he used to run off with the duck and bury it ... he seems to be over that phase now ...

great dogs and they work closer than most dogs, other than britannys.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:22 AM

My research confirms what you are saying. Exactley what I am looking for. The perfect dog would be started or finished Griffon or Brittany. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 AM

Default griffs & britts

they are both great breeds but working with any dog is fun.

btw check sizes when you are looking at griffs. they are supposed to be a mid size dog. (40-55lbs according to specs)

tramp weighs in around 75 lbs , he's the biggest griff i have seen... there are a few in calgary. unfortunately we had him neutered which causes looks of dismay in the other griff owners.

he's all legs and can run all day.... even in deep snow.

loves to hunt and can hunt anything from rabbits to pheasant.

yeah i know ... hunting rabbits with a bird dog is a no no ... but what are you going to do during the off season??

i just love to get out into the green world... rabbits give me an excuse.

cheers
Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 AM

I have had springers for years but would like to get into a pointer with Griffon or Brittany traits. Don't want a big dog, 50 lbs is just right. I need the time to meander my old body up to the bird before the bird flushes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Default Wpg

http://www.geocities.com/razors_e_d_g_e/

Razors Edge Kennels up by Beaverlodge Alberta. I got my Grif 2.5years ago from Paulette, great lady. I am hoping to get another soon.

Sawyer is 70lbs biggest of his litter the rest including his little brother (also in Calgary) are in the 50-55lb range.

They are truly an amazing breed, but i guess everyone says that about their dog.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 AM

If you want a brittany toss me a PM I know of a couple good breeders in the Calgary area and Edmonton Area. I have hunted and gunned over the dogs and they are bird finding machines.

Also have you considered a Vizsla if you want somthing under 50 lbs.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 AM

THAT"S the kennel and the lady iwas trying to think of.

she doesn't over breed her females and is just a GREAT lady to talk to.

she put me on a waiting list and actually did call me when one came free, but by that time we had commited to tremblay in quebec.

cheers

btw .. i don't know about other griffs, but if you want a watch dog you may want to reconsider. if my dog was human he would be a Walmart greeter.

i think it was pauline who told me her dogs would wander off with anyone . very sociable.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 AM

vizla! incredible dogs ... the only dog that wore out tramp. they trot at warp speed.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhead View Post
vizla! incredible dogs ... the only dog that wore out tramp. they trot at warp speed.
All depends on the lines. I have seen some dogs that couldnt out run a bull dog. But if you do your research and find someone whos breeding for a field dog the vizsla would out run a griff hands down any day. Just the difference in the conformation.

All depends on what you want in a dog.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 AM

tramp ran a whippet into the ground. the whippet had great speed on the straight ways but lousy on the turns.

every vizla i saw in the off leash areas in calgary was a blur.

i'm in manitoba now ... it seems almost every dog here wants to scrap. tramp can't figure out these small town tuff dogs.
"griffs just want to have fun!!"
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 AM

Great info guys, I'm doing lots of research before I commit. I need a dog I can keep up with, stay close, good family temperment, and not too big. My springers have been great but they are flushers and I need to stay right up with them. I am really into the upland now.and love the walking not running
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM

I think a Vizsla would be a good bet. You should also look at a PudelPoint (theres on in the classifieds section) or a German Shorthair, German Wirehair, Deutsch Kurzhaar, or Deutsch Drahthaar (although these tend to me a little sharp). If you look at a dog from NAVHDA lines you will generally get a closer working dog.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM

any of those dogs listed are great bird dogs.

if you are not sure of what breed get in touch with various clubs and go to their field trials so you can see how the dogs range and you will get to meet some good people.
not sure where you are located but there is a "pointer assoc" in calgary. i can't remember their real name, but get there when they are running the juniors. that way you can see what you will have to start with.

when fully trained any pointer looks great but there's a lot of work to train them ... more than i am willing to do.

i just take my dog out hunting ... a lot of it is instinctual. but if you or your hunting buddies are fussy about bumped birds etc you'll have some work to do. my buds and me aren't that fussy.

but to see a well trained pointer , that someone has worked hard to train ... it's a thing of beauty. i have nothing but respect for those owners who take that time.

and one other thing ... grooming ... the short hairs don't pick up burrs etc.
wire hairs and brits do.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Calgary Pointing Dog Club hold tests and trials
German Shorthaired Pointer Field Club of Alberta hold test and trials
Theres a Brittany club (cant remember the name) are starting to hold tests and trials again

Pointers can be trained using only wild birds. You could have a great hunting dog by doing nothing but running it on wild birds. If you want that "polished dog" ya it takes a little work.

I also have somthing to add about the grooming. Yes Shorthair breed wont pick up burrs but man to get that hair out of your carpet, vehicle upolstery, couch, and clothing is almost impossible. Where as a longer hair dog such as a setter just lays ontop (doesnt work in like shorthaired breeds) so its easy to vacuum and roll off.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM

I believe Winch101 owns a Grif, and is a strong advocate of the breed. I think he's big into waterfowl too so I think the breed must have a good capability in that regard.

As for picking a Griff or a Britt, I own the latter and suspect there are some differences. A Britt is a GREAT upland dog, but if I wanted to do a lot of waterfowl too, not sure they would be my FIRST choice. Mine will go in the water and fetch IF the weather is Ok, but he's not a great cold water dog, and geese could be a bit of work for him. He's definitely no icebreaker. Other Britt owners may have a completely different experience and should chime in. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhead View Post
tramp ran a whippet into the ground. the whippet had great speed on the straight ways but lousy on the turns.

every vizla i saw in the off leash areas in calgary was a blur.

i'm in manitoba now ... it seems almost every dog here wants to scrap. tramp can't figure out these small town tuff dogs.
"griffs just want to have fun!!"
This particular Griffon has some unique attributes, not the least of which is a very cool knack of "finding stuff that is lost"
I have seen a short vid clip of him and a goose which IIRC Hornhead maintains he shot with his English rock lock fowler, but I truly believe that Tramp
"aka the Village idiot" frightend to death after the goose found out he was "made dawg"
Maybe Hornhead could post the "hat" pic to show us exactly why?
Seriously though, if Griffons are normally HALF as much fun, goofy, and entertaining as the Trampster is, they are a blessed animal.
I luv that hound!
Cat
Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM

Default Griffons

Griffons are not for everyone , every person that I have met with one

hunting or otherwise wouldnt have another dog ...I know they dont run as big as a Brittany even , but there is no quit ..and the colder the better.

A statement was made on here awhile back , that if you dont want to walk every where the dog goes , dont get one of these .
This is very true , to say these dogs are thorough would be an understatement , great nose , can run all day when not to hot out ..

He's not very tall but tops out at 69 lbs ,no fat ....
If your not in to a 5 to 10 km ( min. ) jaunt every day
get something a little more docile ....
They supposedly are fairly non agressive , but this guy
is quite the watch dog and has to be watched around other dogs
very protective ...

Another good kennel in Choteau Montana , blue mountain I think
has Pipo dogs ...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Apparantly there is documentation somewhere proving that "Tramp" is an alias , and is in fact the infamous " GinoTrampone" , direct decendant of the house dog of Al Capone - which would explain the goose dying of fright!!
Cat
Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 AM

I hunted with my first Griffon back in the 80's while on a waterfowl hunt in Holland and shorly after that an upland drive hunt in Germany. I was extremely impressed with the breed and have been hunting with them ever since. Ive only two left and they are getting old, so I'm off the Holland in a few yrs to looks for some more.
The two I've now (photo's attached) originaly came out of a breeder in Dewinton, Griffon Point Kennels, and I don't know if she's still breeding or not.
I'd like to say something witty like 'why hunt with the rest when you can hunt with the best', but I'm not a breed specific kinda guy, I just happen to like the breed, but any of the versatile breeds are good. Although all the breeds have certain characteristics that tend to be inherited, training, like practise, is the key.
Good luck with your selection of a young Griff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006_6.JPG (65.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 003_3.JPG (55.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 002_2.JPG (91.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 005_5.JPG (88.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM

nice looking griffs.

it's my understanding that the kennel in dewinton is no longer breeding.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 PM

I have a 5 1/2 year old griff from Griffonpoint out of Dewinton. I believe that kennel isn't breeding anymore, at least out of Alberta. Mine is a large 75 pound dog that is a great family pet, quiet to the point of utter laziness in house but tons of energy in the field. I bike with him through spring and summer to keep him in shape, hunting season takes care of itself, and we both get a little soft in the winter.
He is a low maintenance house dog, best I've ever seen with kids, and came with plenty of hunting drive (all his faults hunting wise can be put down to his inexperienced and inconsistant trainer(me) but I love hunting with him and revel in his successes.
Very low aggression, friendly to people and dogs, intelligent watchdog(doesn't bark at familar or normal things) but I suspect little guarddog ability.
Prey drive is quite high though, cats had best stay away as I suspect they would get moore than a sniff, he briefly caught a coyote last year at Blackfoot, they were a rolling ball of fur for a minute then it got away. He emerged somehow unscathed, not sure about the coyote.
He's the only griff I have ever known but I am sure I will have another oneday.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the info, I have found Griffon Point in Dewinton is closed and have talked to a few current owners but have not found a current breeder close by. As mentioned a started or finished dog would be perfect. The more I research the Griffon the more I think it would suit me perfect. Keep sending me any contacts or info. Very interested!
Thanks