Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 PM

Default I will take the lucky ones too...coyote down

A quick lucky hunt this afternoon...
Got to the farm around 5:30 pm.... The plan was to hike to the back of the property to overlook and call in the marsh area.... Figure with the snow on the ground they would be moving around looking for a meal...
With the wind in my favour I crest the hill and to my surprise, I see a coyote moving away from me in the bush. Looks like he spotted me before I spotted him.
I quickly take my backpack off, throw it onto the ground, drop on the ground, using the backpack as a gun rest I chamber a round and try and line up the coyote but there is too much tall grass in my way. I quickly move about 3ft to an open spot through the tall grass, drop down again, by this time he is moving again, I yell out wolf, he stops but behind some debris.....he begins to move again, once again yell out wolf, he stops and I can see his vitals, go pull the trigger and opps safety is on... remove the safety but he is on the move again, loose sight of him for 2 seconds, he reappears on the other side of all that debris.
I yell out wolf again, again he stops and I line him up (not sure how the bullet managed to get there through all those branches) take the shot and see him fall over..... Wow, a neck shot that dropped him in his tracks....
Sometimes it better to be lucky then good

Shot from here....

Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM

That coyote looks like it's part-Shephard...!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:45 PM

A lucky one makes up for some of the ones that don't work........take it!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King