Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Default Illuminated reticles

Anyone using illuminated reticle scopes? Or has anyone used illuminated scopes, decided they're a gimmick and went back to non-illuminated ?

I've never tried illuminated optics but I'm starting to wonder if they might be a worthwhile expense. As I work harder and become more devoted to getting a mature WT, I'm noticing with every passing season that the sightings are always in the dying minutes of legal hunting time. Some evenings I can only see game with magnification at the lowest setting but have trouble making out the reticle.

Please share your thoughts and opinions
Old 02-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Banned

Arrow

I run these on my Matrix 380 Crossbow.
Would not go without.
They have been directly responsible for many a harvest.

My rifles, I run with 50 or 52 mil objective lenses.
They work well too.
Have yet to try illuminated reticles on a rifle thus far...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Default illuminated reticles

I hunt in the rain and grey of the west coast and at dusk or dawn trying to see dark cross hairs on a dark forest background illuminated reticles are great.My 65 year old eyes are not what they used to be either. I wouldn't hunt without them.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:27 PM

I found years ago that in the evening if I used too much power on an iluminated reticle it harmed the sight picture , creating a night blindness scenario .
Same with lighted pin sights for archery .
When I use the lighted reticle scope ( just the dot lights on my scope) I keep it as low as possible .
Cat
Old 02-18-2019, 07:43 AM

I have used them. I feel they are not worth the extra cost. If you have good quality glass and can't see the reticle; it is probably before/after legal shooting time. There are certain times when you get those really overcast dark mornings, then I turn the illumination on.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 AM

Cool

I have an illuminated reticle, I did not by it for that feature though. It just happened to also have it.

Turned out to be a great help when I took a white tail in the last minutes of legal light. It helped in that, It made it so easy to find the vitals that there was no time wasted. But sure, it could be done with out it. I mean you still have to be conscious to turn it on in the first place.

With that, I have only used it once in 3 years. The other benefit is that they are cool and it made me feel like a sniper haha
Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Have you ever shot a rifle with an illuminated reticle? I’ve got a 1-4 power scope with illuminated reticle on my favourite coyote rifle. It’s definitely helped with a few low light overcast evening hunts, but that only accounts for maybe 5% of the shots I’ve taken.

If you’d like to take a few shots with it, I’m in Airdrie and you can come out and shoot it one evening to see the difference.

Like what Cat said - i keep the brightness turned way down. There’s never been a time when I’ve needed it turned up.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 AM

I have a NF with the moar t reticle on my 300wm, it’s almost too fine for hunting. Last elk I shot was with 10 minutes of legal light left and without the illumination I couldn’t see the reticle looking into the trees.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM

I have illuminated reticles on a couple of my rifles, I dig them in all conditions, i find I can get on target faster with the illuminated reticles, that said I've only killed animals with non-illuminated reticles.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I found years ago that in the evening if I used too much power on an iluminated reticle it harmed the sight picture , creating a night blindness scenario .
Same with lighted pin sights for archery .
When I use the lighted reticle scope ( just the dot lights on my scope) I keep it as low as possible .
Cat
Once again.. THIS!!!!!

My experience was using it in Alaska on a spring and fall Brown bear hunt. I didn't need it during the middle of the day but shooting my bear down deep in valley just at last light against the black water of a river made it a imperative. That bear doesn't come home with me with out the illumination. Same with spring on the beach at last light. Rain was coming down and the back drop was a thick rainforest. I could see it being very valuable here in Alberta in a few scenarios. Next scope will have it for sure.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM

On a dangerous game scope or dark timber I can see it but it would be the smallest of the tiniest dot I could find. Those cheap Chinese scopes with eye burning reticule would not be my choice.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
... When I use the lighted reticle scope ( just the dot lights on my scope) I keep it as low as possible .
Good point! Forgot to mention the scope on my bow has two color choices (red & blue) and five brightness settings for each. I have never used it above the lowest setting on any game and greatly prefer the blue.

Cheers,
Nog