Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Default scammer

I belong to HuntingBC and another guy as well got scammed by donna1 whom I believe just joined this forum also.

Don't buy anything from him. All the information about himself is bogus.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Donna1-Scammer

Tom
Old 01-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up Tom.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Default scammer

I found out he has operated under other identities and no doubt will continue to do so.

I am trying to put a stop to it by reporting my case to RCMP, Chief Firearm officer, my bank as well as the Canadian Anti-theft Center.

Tom
Old 01-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Be especially cautious about any reply you get to a "WTB" ad. I lost a nice chunk of $ to a scammer over a gun I was thrilled to finally "find", and I consider myself fairly web-savvy.

These days, I won't do deals with sellers that don't have perfect (and established) trader ratings and even then, I won't even consider buying unless I have a photo of the item, with a piece of paper in it with that day's date, and my name on it. Won't guarantee you won't get scammed, but at least you can establish if the seller has the item to begin with. Making that request would have spared me that loss. BTW, the police and my bank did absolutely nothing, and I was able to provide the scammers email address, phone #, screen caps of our correspondence, bank information the EMT went to, etc. TOTAL waste of time. You're on your own when it comes to getting ripped off.

You'd be surprised at how fast the communication trail runs cold when you request the photos that way. Huge red flag.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post

These days, I won't do deals with sellers that don't have perfect (and established) trader ratings and even then, I won't even consider buying unless I have a photo of the item, with a piece of paper in it with that day's date, and my name on it. Won't guarantee you won't get scammed, but at least you can establish if the seller has the item to begin with. Making that request would have spared me that loss.
It has been suggested to me:-

1. Pay by Paypal

2. Have a local third party to do your buying personally

3. Have the seller send you a picture of his face with the firearm and a driver's licence so you can confirm it is a rightful owner and it matches with the picture on the DL.

Tom
Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 PM

I hope the mods will take action.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up. There are so many scammers working the net these days a guy has to be REALLY careful or you are going to get taken. Even face to face, there are now reports of guys selling stolen items using forums like this so be careful when you are buying.

Probably already reported but just in case I reported this to the mods so they can take action.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Cover your 6 If a seller has no "sales creds" I insist on Canada post COD shipment. that way both of you are protected. No item no pay.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
Cover your 6 If a seller has no "sales creds" I insist on Canada post COD shipment. that way both of you are protected. No item no pay.
Then again a smart scammer could send a box with garbage in it, and you pay before you open the package.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
I had no idea it worked that way, never really thought about it I guess. I once had a buyer ask if I do COD and I thought they were up to something fishy, lol!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Then again a smart scammer could send a box with garbage in it, and you pay before you open the package.
I always tell the po what should be in the box for the money. Then I open it right there on the spot. If it is not what should be there I would refuse it
Old 01-29-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I always tell the po what should be in the box for the money. Then I open it right there on the spot. If it is not what should be there I would refuse it
Then you have a VERY different post office than I have ever been to. I ask to open and inspect the package all three times I got a COD order, two different outlets, and they have always insisted I pay for it first. Cannot refuse the package once you pay. I refused all three packages because I wasn't prepared to take that risk.

Do you know where the regs are that says I get to check it out before accepting the package because in my mind COD is no use at all if you can't make sure it isn't just a box of garbage before you accept it.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:06 PM

Default scammer

I now found out the same person has scammed at least 2 members on this forum in late 2018. He went by the name of Paul Asselin back then.

Tom