Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Question Seems like an anti-Barnes sentiment around here?

I've noticed some friendly but non flattering comments about Barnes bullets. I know nothing about Barnes and lead free bullet technology. They make a 303 bullet so I thought I might try them when the Ruger arrives.

I'm looking for an education on lead free bullets and Barnes TSX particularly.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM

I love 'em. I shoot them in 4 calibres and have never had any problems. I have had pass-thrus with massive blood trails on every single animal except for 1 moose that I shot in the hump. That one stopped about 1/2" from the off side but needless to say it did its job. The bullet started out at .284". It measured .816" with 4 perfect petals when it was cleaned up.

There are some that don't like them, but the numbers that don't like them are far fewer than the ones that love them.

Feel free to PM for more details if you want.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 PM

I didn't like the original x bullets,but the TSX,MRX,and TTSX have performed very well for me.They do however,seem to perform best at higher velocities,so unless they are light for caliber,they may not be the best choice for a 303 British.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Whitetail Junkie loves them and Chuck hates them........or wait

Got my first batch of 120s curiousity got the best of me.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
sheephunter

If they shoot well from your rifle they are a good choice but as elkhunter pointed out, velocity is their friend..
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Anytime I am looking for a bullet to load in a new rifle, Barnes TTSX is my first choice. I have found them to be very accurate and they kill game EXTREMELY well.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Whitetail Junkie loves them and Chuck hates them........or wait

Got my first batch of 120s curiousity got the best of me.
Great Target Bullet for accuracy,thats about it.Thats all i'm going to say,there's no way I'm talking anymore in this thread.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Thats all i'm going to say,there's no way I'm talking anymore in this thread.
Which is a good thing if it's true.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Which is a good thing if it's true.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
there's no way I'm talking anymore in this thread.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM

I love the TSX. Pretty much all I shoot. And high velocity is what makes any mono metal work. I was looking at the new Hornady GMX and guess what, at 2000 fps they almost don't open. Just like the barnes. In my guns and the ranges I shoot they work awesome. If you shoot long range only then there will be better choices. If you want to do it all then make your choice and come here and argue till your blue in the face. That what most do.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 AM

TSX work great for me (.270 & .243) and the wife with mostly pass throughs and no bullets recovered. My experience has been you need to give them lots of jump before they hit the rifling in order to get accuracy.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM

i love the barnes bullets. i use them in 243, 7mm and 325wsm. also use them in my muzzle loader. they also performed as stated and i have recovered three or four from animals over the years with 95% weight retention or better. they allow you to use a lighter bullet and get more velocity with the same killing power as a heavier bullet because they do not shed weight going through the animal like lead bullets do.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Thats all i'm going to say,there's no way I'm talking anymore in this thread.
Good for you...the first step is admitting you have the problem
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 AM

300 yd Mule Deer didn't fair very well when these got him. 140 gr tsx in a 7-08
Found both bullets under the hide on the offside shoulder. Both went through 3 feet of deer as it was a quartering shot. Only Barnes I've ever recovered.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You know Schwanky, WT Junkie commented on the bullet and you and your Rat Pack attacked the person with your innuendos. It's a small world out there.
And your post added what useful information to this thread?Unlike you,most other posters actually provided some useful information relating to the topic of the thread.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
And your post added what useful information to this thread?Unlike you,most other posters actually provided some useful information relating to the topic of the thread.
Much like your previous post? Refer to post #8 if you forget already
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Much like your previous post? Refer to post #8 if you forget already
I never posted that every thread was relevant,rather that most posters on this thread have added some useful and relevant information.Obviously,you missed post #3 where I did add some very relevant information to the topic.On the other hand,neither you,nor Flint have added any information either useful,or relevant to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
Thanks MountainTi!! Many times I have commented about "products" ----some I liked and some I didn't like. Once I discribed a product that I didn't like I was attacked by a Rat Pack who are regulars of this talk forum. I just shake my head with these individuals. I would love to talk about guns, reloading and hunting, but these individuals seem to always throw out something to provke an arguement by attacking the person. I just give my head a shake. Thats a great buck in your Avatar!!
There always seems to be a few that have their keyboards permanently set to "ANNOYING". But I suppose it would get kinda boring around here without them, I tend to get a chuckle out of some anyways!
Want some constructive input on Barnes then Elktracker? I have been shooting TSX out of a .270 WSM I have in the safe, and so far they shoot better than anything else I have been able to load up in it(accubonds, partitions, trophy bonded), so no complaints about them.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM

the tsx works great in my 300wsm and like they said already the faster you push them the better they get.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I never posted that every thread was relevant,rather that most posters on this thread have added some useful and relevant information.Obviously,you missed post #3 where I did add some very relevant information to the topic.On the other hand,neither you,nor Flint have added any information either useful,or relevant to the topic of the thread.
EH11, While you do know a great deal about firearms and reloading and your facts and opinions are most welcome. YOU NEED TO LIGHTEN UP DUDE! There now I have added my 2 cents of worthless drivel. As for Barnes bullets, my experience was with the original x bullet (180gr/30 cal). Wasn't too impressed. Found narrow wound channels with no colateral hemmoraging(probably didn't open properly ?) Thanks to some ballistic upgrading by yourself on the properties of the tsx, ttsx etc I may give them another whirl, but I will use a lighter bullet weight than I typically would with a lead core bullet. Again EH11 thanks for the lesson.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
There now I have added my 2 cents of worthless drivel. As for Barnes bullets, my experience was with the original x bullet (180gr/30 cal). Wasn't too impressed. Found narrow wound channels with no colateral hemmoraging(probably didn't open properly ?) Thanks to some ballistic upgrading by yourself on the properties of the tsx, ttsx etc I may give them another whirl, but I will use a lighter bullet weight than I typically would with a lead core bullet. Again EH11 thanks for the lesson.
You may have added some worthless drivel,but you did also add some useful information in the form of some first hand experience with Barnes bullets,that may interest some readers.Like most posters,your main purpose appeared to be to add relevant information to the topic,rather than to add absolutely nothing but accusations directed toward other posters.I find it very ironic that someone would even bother to post on a thread,for the sole purpose of attacking other posters,by accusing them of attacking yet other posters.Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 PM

one recovered barnes mrx at over 400 yds from a moose was perfect mushroom. another moose at well over 400 yds went down after about 30 yds.both were barnes mrx(tungsten core) out of a .300wsm Tikka.and they shoot really tight out of the Tikka.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You may have added some worthless drivel,but you did also add some useful information in the form of some first hand experience with Barnes bullets,that may interest some readers.Like most posters,your main purpose appeared to be to add relevant information to the topic,rather than to add absolutely nothing but accusations directed toward other posters.I find it very ironic that someone would even bother to post on a thread,for the sole purpose of attacking other posters,by accusing them of attacking yet other posters.Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Just for the record I am not verbally attacking you. Hope you didn't take it that way, but nothing wrong with throwing a little drivel in from time to time either . I agree with you as well as most on this forum that we all need to take pause before we hit submit. Personal attacks as well as telling forum members that they must not be very knowledgable about reloading can be construed as a personal affront. I don't expect to find any experts on this forum , just good sound advise from every day folk. And with some luck , have a bit of fun along the way.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Just for the record I am not verbally attacking you. Hope you didn't take it that way,
I never took your post as a personal attack,I was referring to a previous poster.

Quote:
Personal attacks as well as telling forum members that they must not be very knowledgable about reloading can be construed as a personal affront.
Actually I posted

Quote:
If you believe that just because one 270win drives a specific copper bullet faster than one 280rem,proves that all 270win rifles will drive a copper bullet faster than all 280rem rifles,you have very limited reloading experience.
Do you believe that anyone with considerable reloading experience would dispute the above statement?
Due to differences in barrel dimensions,chambers,lot#s of powders and other components,velocities published in a single manual,aren't a reliable resource for comparing various cartridges.One also must take any difference in barrel lengths into consideration.In fact,the velocities listed in the manuals for a given load can vary considerably from the actual velocity produced in another rifle,even if the barrel lengths are the same.Any experienced reloader should know these things.To suggest otherwise,indicates to me,that a person has limited reloading experience.

To further complicate things,some data listed in manuals is more than a little suspect.An example would be in one of my Nosler manuals,where a 165gr bullet out of a 300win mag with a 24" barrel is listed as producing more velocity than the very same 165gr bullet out of a 300wby with a 26" barrel.This is using the highest velocity listed for each cartridge with the same 165gr bullet.A reloader with considerable experience,would realize that something is very suspect in this case,but someone with little experience might assume that the 300winmag with a 24" barrel will always produce more velocity with 165gr bullets than a 300wby with a 26" barrel.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-08-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Do you believe that anyone with considerable reloading experience would dispute the above statement?
Due to differences in barrel dimensions,chambers,lot#s of powders and other components,velocities published in a single manual,aren't a reliable resource for comparing various cartridges.One also must take any difference in barrel lengths into consideration.In fact,the velocities listed in the manuals for a given load can vary considerably from the actual velocity produced in another rifle,even if the barrel lengths are the same.Any experienced reloader should know these things.To suggest otherwise,indicates to me,that a person has limited reloading experience.
I rest my case, Lighten up
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I rest my case, Lighten up
Just what is your case?Is it that anyone that knows a bit about reloading and ballistics should not say anything when someone posts some suspect information,so as not to offend anyone?Letting other readers,that are trying to learn about reloading and ballistics be mislead by suspect information certainly isn't doing them any favors.I would rather see suspect information be exposed for what it is,that let other people be led astray,even if it means that someone might be offended.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
You know Schwanky, WT Junkie commented on the bullet and you and your Rat Pack attacked the person with your innuendos. It's a small world out there.
You seem to have trouble distinguishing an attack from a little good-natured ribbing. I actually quite like your son...he seems like a good kid. It's the internet, it's okay to have a little fun here. I'd say old Ty can stick up for himself quite well and is quite likely embarrassed that Daddy thinks he can't. Give the boy some credit...he seems to have his crap together!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Default thread

Another thread gone way astray.