Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 10:25 AM

Default Swarovski RL binos.

Has anybody had a chance to lay their hands on a pair of Swarvski’s new RL line of binoculars. From the reviews I’ve read, they are saying that they are nothing less than spectacular. Thinking of upgrading my EL’s when the new ones become available in September.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Banned

NL?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Default Swarovski nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
NL?
They are the newest ones that Swarovski has come up with. Will not be available until September. They are suppose to be unbelievable. You can see them on Instagram.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 08-03-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Extra content
Old 08-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

NL pure’s
Swarovski sets the bar
I personally wouldn’t buy binoculars for hunting without a rangefinder built in
Old 08-03-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Swarovski rl

The RL’s do not have built in rangefinders.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:31 PM
Banned

I’d bet they can’t beat my leica ultravid HD’s. Haven’t seen a swaro yet that can run at those levels. Zeiss has one that is pretty close, swaro distant third.😉
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 AM

Default Swarovski

My hunting partner has a set of Leica ultravids. They certainly are a fantastic glass. Another buddy has a set of top of the line vortex, which are also impressive.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Banned

i looked them up, they look like a great update, very ergo and trim, i bet they are a joy, the 12x42 look interesting at 28.5 oz...at $4000.00 CAD i bet my 10x32 ultravid hd's will run with them at less than half the cost and only 20 oz, same degree apparent fov (69) etc.

i tripod mine, window mount mine, compact enough for bowhunting and coyote calling, go up the mountain they really shine, very few i've been with can find game before me

as most things swaro...value isn't the best lol, high level gear but priced like it's better than the rest, and it's never really is
Old 08-07-2020, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I’d bet they can’t beat my leica ultravid HD’s. Haven’t seen a swaro yet that can run at those levels. Zeiss has one that is pretty close, swaro distant third.😉
I bet your wrong
There is a reason they don’t compare full size binoculars to compacts
It’s comparing apples to oranges
The nl pure binos are going to be the pinnacle
But I would not buy a pair of binoculars that aren’t rf for hunting
Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Banned

on the alpha to alpha, the image quality doesn't get better going from 32 to 42mm fyi, the 42 they typically build in more eye relief and therefore less fov, a lot of people based on their face or preference will find 42's more comfy or suited to them for reasons like that, also the 42 will technically let in more light so do better when it's dark, this becomes less of a thing with alpha class glass because the image quality is so good, can see well past legal even with 32's

anyway, if you get a chance to throw some 32 ultravid hd's or zeiss fl's up against any 42 swaro, be prepared to be amazed, i get the big fov, all the image quality technology can offer and for 20 oz around my neck with a 6.5 oz range finder in my pocket....what do those rangefinding bino's weigh? i've had geovids, no range finding bino will be able to run with the alpha glass, you'll need 42mm to compensate, they will still be good and high level glass, but you have to hang more than a couple pounds around your neck or run a pain in the azz harness etc.

maybe less of an issue for mostly truck and crop hunting type stuff, but for going up mountains and also combined bow hunting work...tough to beat the 32's and a little crf1200 rf in the pocket, you have something that works for you, and maybe best for you, but in no way will an rf bino compete with alpha glass, and there's low chance this new swaro nl pure will beat the leica/zeiss alpha and at $4000.00 wow, there's some magic in the swaro name for sure, fan boys rejoice, and break out those wallets

i've owned and looked through quite a bit of swaro gear, these opinions come from a gear junky who tries the top gear, so take for what it's worth, if you've not compared...you don't know
Old 08-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
on the alpha to alpha, the image quality doesn't get better going from 32 to 42mm fyi, the 42 they typically build in more eye relief and therefore less fov, a lot of people based on their face or preference will find 42's more comfy or suited to them for reasons like that, also the 42 will technically let in more light so do better when it's dark, this becomes less of a thing with alpha class glass because the image quality is so good, can see well past legal even with 32's

anyway, if you get a chance to throw some 32 ultravid hd's or zeiss fl's up against any 42 swaro, be prepared to be amazed, i get the big fov, all the image quality technology can offer and for 20 oz around my neck with a 6.5 oz range finder in my pocket....what do those rangefinding bino's weigh? i've had geovids, no range finding bino will be able to run with the alpha glass, you'll need 42mm to compensate, they will still be good and high level glass, but you have to hang more than a couple pounds around your neck or run a pain in the azz harness etc.

maybe less of an issue for mostly truck and crop hunting type stuff, but for going up mountains and also combined bow hunting work...tough to beat the 32's and a little crf1200 rf in the pocket, you have something that works for you, and maybe best for you, but in no way will an rf bino compete with alpha glass, and there's low chance this new swaro nl pure will beat the leica/zeiss alpha and at $4000.00 wow, there's some magic in the swaro name for sure, fan boys rejoice, and break out those wallets

i've owned and looked through quite a bit of swaro gear, these opinions come from a gear junky who tries the top gear, so take for what it's worth, if you've not compared...you don't know
Bud I spent more money on optics this year than you did on your last minivan

Once again your spreading misinformation. Acting like an expert, but clearly are not
Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Glass

Quote:

Your last statement says it all.
If you have not compared them. You don’t know.

So have you compared them, side by side?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM

If a person does their due diligence when researching binos they look at optical sites for their information not just hunting or brand sites. There are lots of reviews on binos out there written by highly qualified optic experts and the information they provide regarding "best quality" or "best bang for the buck" do not always include some of the expensive brands mentioned above.
If empowerment comes from spending the most money on optics that is your choice but does not necessarily mean they are the best quality.
Just my 2 cents
Old 08-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Banned

I've found the opposite of some here. As many of you know I am a dealer for the brands mentioned (except Vortex). I had the luxury of taking out a number of Leica, Swaro's and Zeiss bino's on an extended test. I found the Swarovski and Leica to have the same resolution, but the Swarovski had better ability to see into the shadows....so that's what I went with.
A good friend of mine was with me when we did the weekend long test...he bought the Leica's.
Just two samples of the same rifle will like different ammo...different eyes will find that one or the other bino works better.
Unfortunately these are things you cannot discern looking through a couple pair of bino's in a retail setting. But the differences between the top tier bino's are so small most will be happy with any of them. Anyone that tells you they see a huge difference between comparable models of Swarovski and Leica (for example)...has either got a bad sample of one or they have done a good job of convincing themselves that the brand they like is 'so much better'.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:29 AM

Stinky I do agree with some points you have made but realisticly the big 3 all make amazing glass and everyone's eyes are different and will react to the glass differently. Some people perfer leica,Zeiss or swaro it all depends what people's eyes tend to perfer, obviously yours would seem to perfer leica. It's humorous though to call someone a fan boy then go on to attack them over their preference to another amazing optic company that they perfer over yours. If they were trying to compare vortex or bushnell to the big three then yes I would agree. But I think we can all agree nothing beats the big 3
Old 08-08-2020, 12:43 PM
Banned

I’ve compared to zeiss fl and swaro el. Yes. Thank you or I wouldn’t have spoke up lol. The fl is incredible and will match what you find for info from birders and hunters. Sharp as a tack, easy on t he eyes, edge to edge etc. In fact the zeiss can beat the ultravid in a few key things but I found the image color almost too flat and accurate, where the Leica has a bit of pop in the color, feels a bit more alive where the zeiss felt a bit dead. The swaros are right there doing their swaro thing, great glass and ergo and that swaro contrast etc but warmer and not as sharp as the other two.

Unless swaro comes up with some new tech in these nl’s the optics tech has peaked quite awhile ago. So that’s why alpha glass remains lifetime glass, there’s only so much you can do. You can improve some ergos, make lighter, play with coatings. I suspect that’s all swaro has done here. Gotta generate some new sales right? The swaro hordes have money to burn.😉

I’d suggest waiting quite a bit before jumping on the bandwagon but hey it’s your money. These new nl should beat the zeiss fl or Leica ultravid HD but even if they equal them look at that price? I’m not betting that they even equal these two.

We should change the title to reflect right name of these new bino’s to NL Pure

Just lookin our for yall. I drank the swaro koolaid more than once, it’s pretty well known to be great gear at snob prices. Also never seems to be the best yet charge money like it’s better than the rest. So...it will be interesting to watch how these new bins do.

And don’t get me wrong, I have swaro 15x56 on my wish list for when things are super flush lol. They do rule the 15x segment. I just need to really extra flush and no projects before I may indulge. My ultravid hd’s are that versatile. The 15’s would just get dedicated window mount is all. A lot of money for a truck bino, and know they sit there when I head a field is another deterrent haha. The ultravids do all.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-08-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly97 View Post
Stinky I do agree with some points you have made but realisticly the big 3 all make amazing glass and everyone's eyes are different and will react to the glass differently. Some people perfer leica,Zeiss or swaro it all depends what people's eyes tend to perfer, obviously yours would seem to perfer leica. It's humorous though to call someone a fan boy then go on to attack them over their preference to another amazing optic company that they perfer over yours. If they were trying to compare vortex or bushnell to the big three then yes I would agree. But I think we can all agree nothing beats the big 3
Some good points. About people and preferences. Some can’t do 32mm with shorter eye relief for same reasons and it’s a shame as alpha 32 are incredible often overlooked options.

But I’m not wrong about the swaro fan boy thing lol. It’s ripe in the hunting world more than any other. We will have to disagree there.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some good points. About people and preferences. Some can’t do 32mm with shorter eye relief for same reasons and it’s a shame as alpha 32 are incredible often overlooked options.

But I’m not wrong about the swaro fan boy thing lol. It’s ripe in the hunting world more than any other. We will have to disagree there.
Two things...a lot would seem to think you're a Leica fanboy...so don't toss derogatory terms around so quickly when they can just as easily be pointed your way.
Second...you're sure going out of your way to slag a product that won't even be released for another month...how about (horrors) waiting for some real world reviews before going out of your way to slag them.
One thing I will say...as a dealer of both Leica and Swarovski...warranty and and after sales service...hands down goes to Swarovski.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Stinky Coyote;4215454]

But I’m not wrong about the swaro fan boy thing lol. It’s ripe

Insight derived from experiences in the Creedmore genre ?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=roper1;4215601]
Quote:

But I’m not wrong about the swaro fan boy thing lol. It’s ripe

Insight derived from experiences in the Creedmore genre ?
He’s a Grendel fan. Creedmoor kicks too much
Old 08-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
i looked them up, they look like a great update, very ergo and trim, i bet they are a joy, the 12x42 look interesting at 28.5 oz...at $4000.00 CAD i bet my 10x32 ultravid hd's will run with them at less than half the cost and only 20 oz, same degree apparent fov (69) etc.

i tripod mine, window mount mine, compact enough for bowhunting and coyote calling, go up the mountain they really shine, very few i've been with can find game before me

as most things swaro...value isn't the best lol, high level gear but priced like it's better than the rest, and it's never really is

The 12x42 NL pure has a massive 78° AFOV, the 10x42 NL has 76° AFOV. The Ultravid HD 10x42 63° and 10x32 67°.

The NL pure has a game changing AFOV, not too far off the Nikon WX which are almost almost $10 000 in Canadian bucks and obviously not meant for hunting.

I like Leica's form factor over most of their line, but Swarovski does some things well too.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:37 AM
Banned

Just checked again, says the 12x is 71 degrees, the 10x is 70 degrees. $2200 for a few degrees.

I did say unless they came out with some sort of new tech...it’s gonna be awful tough to beat the top two. The el’s couldn’t so, their spotters aren’t the top, so what could swaro possibly do to justify a $4k roof prism bino? Like I said, they will be doing well to equal the top dogs, still they will be over priced and highly unlikely they can top the two mentioned.

Warranty, could be a thing. I’m pretty diehard Leupold on scopes although haven’t needed warranty, just love customizing.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-09-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:39 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=marky_mark;4215606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

He’s a Grendel fan. Creedmoor kicks too much
Ya, I don’t have a man bun. So no creedmoor for me.😉
Old 08-09-2020, 01:54 AM
Banned

I had to look up those Nikon wx. 5.5 lbs of awesomeness. Porro prisms rule, wish there were more. My doctor nobilem 15x60 can eat the swaro 15x for lunch optically but one barrel didn’t hold its seal after awhile so while they were a good deal, the swaro would be my choice next. Should get them fixed one day.

Hope to see more porros. The dr nobilem had amazing depth of field, never had to readjust focus. Could set and forget and hit close mountains then far mountains. The long term viewing comfort and image were unreal.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Just checked again, says the 12x is 71 degrees, the 10x is 70 degrees. $2200 for a few degrees.

I did say unless they came out with some sort of new tech...it’s gonna be awful tough to beat the top two. The el’s couldn’t so, their spotters aren’t the top, so what could swaro possibly do to justify a $4k roof prism bino? Like I said, they will be doing well to equal the top dogs, still they will be over priced and highly unlikely they can top the two mentioned.

Warranty, could be a thing. I’m pretty diehard Leupold on scopes although haven’t needed warranty, just love customizing.
AFOV = Mag x TFOV if you want everything to be consistent among brands.

E.G.: Nikon WX is 10 power and 9° TFOV. Nikon says 76° AFOV, but they use a ISO standard calculation that no one else uses, some other brands also use different calculations. If you want consistency use the old astronomy standard of Mag x TFOV. Which gives 90° for the WX, and that is where I got my stats on the new Swarovskis.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:22 AM

https://youtu.be/WnxFs8VDjBI Hopefully I got the link to you tube right. There is a review of the new Swarovski NL pure to the EL. It is presented by Western Hunter.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:36 AM
Banned

Fov at 1000 yards

399’ NL Pure 10x42
394’ Zeiss Victory SF 10x42
390’ Zeiss Victory SF 10x32
389’ Leica UV HD 10x42
387’ Leica UV HD 10x32
339’ NL Pure 12x42

No new swaro since 1999 when the EL’s were launched. And the leica zeiss top dogs around same time from recollection. Tells you how tough it is to improve things and how tech has been peaked for a long time. So anyone already with alpha glass, don’t sweat the new release too hard, your glass will be relevant and awesome forever.

It will be good to get in the game soon as many will offload some great glass for the new. Leica and Zeiss will sharpen their pencils and try to get a few more feet also, maybe improve some ergos, that’s all they can do. So expect some new models after the swaro release. They are all awesome. I really struggle with swaro pricing for what you get, have discovered swaro as over priced and it took lots of gear and dollars to see first hand, binos and spotters. It’s still good gear at highest levels, and clearly worth it to many. I sipped the look-aid more than once and likely will again for those 15x56 one day.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby cat View Post
https://youtu.be/WnxFs8VDjBI Hopefully I got the link to you tube right. There is a review of the new Swarovski NL pure to the EL. It is presented by Western Hunter.
So he’s saying they are awesome
And he’s held them and used them
While stinky is saying they are junk
Because he looked at the specs on their website

Who do you believe?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Banned

Lmao...ya that’s what I’m saying. Wait...overpriced junk haha
Old 08-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Swaro glass is made by SCHOTT, a Zeiss subsidiary. Arguing about the best glass between the big 3 is extremely subjective and comes down to personal likes.
I do agree with who ever said they would never buy a bino that didn't have a rangefinder.