Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Huglu Shotguns

I was looking for a fairly low priced O/U or SxS shotgun to hunt upland birds with on rainy days, as I prefer not to get my higher end SxS shotguns drenched, so I dropped into Prophet River to check out the Huglu line. I was impressed with the fit and finish for the price, and I found one that fit me very well. Ideally, I would have liked a 28 gauge SxS with 28" barrels, but they were sold out, so I ended up leaving with a 20 gauge SxS with English stock and dual triggers and 26" barrels. It is customer appreciation day at Prophet River, and the volume of customers was high, but the staff did a great job of dealing with the crowd.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was looking for a fairly low priced O/U or SxS shotgun to hunt upland birds with on rainy days, as I prefer not to get my higher end SxS shotguns drenched, so I dropped into Prophet River to check out the Huglu line. I was impressed with the fit and finish for the price, and I found one that fit me very well. Ideally, I would have liked a 28 gauge SxS with 28" barrels, but they were sold out, so I ended up leaving with a 20 gauge SxS with English stock and dual triggers and 26" barrels. It is customer appreciation day at Prophet River, and the volume of customers was high, but the staff did a great job of dealing with the crowd.
Thanks for coming by! Its been steady all day. Our busiest customer appreciation day ever!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:05 PM

Where are they made?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Made in Turkey. They also make the CZ shotguns.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-23-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 PM

I hope they're nice, I just purchased a Huglu .410 sxs with an English stock and double triggers from Prophet River too.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:16 PM

I have owned and shot more than a few Huglus, my favorite being a mini Bobwhite in 28 gauge, well made, chrome lined barrels and good and black chromed barrel finish.
The only complaint is the painted on opaque finish, but if you strip it off, some of those guns have exquisite wood underneath- oh, and the swedged barrels for the chokes!
Cat
Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 AM

The Bobwhite series didn't fit me all that well which is a bit unusual since most every gun I pick up tends to fit pretty good.
The opaque finish has turned me off the guns in the past and I hope they have changed how they are finished. The one I purchased (at least in the pics) has very nice figure in the stock so here's hoping but it's an easy enough job to re-finish it if not though. I haven't seen the one I purchased so maybe Elk can tell us what his is like.
I've wanted a sxs .410 for a while but didn't want to tie up several grand in one so the price of these is quite appealing.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Default huglu

I have owned three Huglu sxs guns in the Ringneck model. People keep talking me out of them, and I get caught either trying to fund another project, or just long on shotguns in general. Sooooo....... like a fool I let them get away from me. The CZ models are actually stamped HUGLU, (at least my Ringnecks were). They usually have very nice wood for a gun in this price range, and my own experience has been that they all worked flawlessly. I have read online of the occasional buyer with mechanical issues, but so far so good. I would highly recommend them, especially for new shooters on a budget.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM

We are very excited to now be direct with Huglu. Way cheaper, more options and better triggers!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Banned

Always good to have more options. Most brands have less expensive lines as an alternative. Some better than others, I have found.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
We are very excited to now be direct with Huglu. Way cheaper, more options and better triggers!

Can you explain how you are "direct" with Huglu please.

Also, "way cheaper and better triggers" than what?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Can you explain how you are "direct" with Huglu please.

Also, "way cheaper and better triggers" than what?
We buy direct from the Huglu factory, not the rebranded CZ ones. We can sell them cheaper now than selling the CZ ones. Also, the CZ ones are built with heavy triggers it seems for the USA market (AKA, lawyer proof)
Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 PM

I see, and obviously your a retailer but it's not obvious which one.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The Bobwhite series didn't fit me all that well which is a bit unusual since most every gun I pick up tends to fit pretty good.
The opaque finish has turned me off the guns in the past and I hope they have changed how they are finished. The one I purchased (at least in the pics) has very nice figure in the stock so here's hoping but it's an easy enough job to re-finish it if not though. I haven't seen the one I purchased so maybe Elk can tell us what his is like.
I've wanted a sxs .410 for a while but didn't want to tie up several grand in one so the price of these is quite appealing.
The wood on my SxS is very plain. The triggers are fairly heavy, but that is relative, as my other SxS shotguns are much more expensive sidelocks by AYA and Grulla, which have light triggers for shotguns.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I see, and obviously your a retailer but it's not obvious which one.

Thanks for the info.

Sako Alberta = Prophet River
Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Sako Alberta = Prophet River
Yes, sorry, SakoAlberta is my personal account.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 AM

No worries, I had my suspicions! It's all good.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
The wood on my SxS is very plain. The triggers are fairly heavy, but that is relative, as my other SxS shotguns are much more expensive sidelocks by AYA and Grulla, which have light triggers for shotguns.

This will be my most inexpensive shotgun as well so I'm not expecting the highest quality. The last .410 English stocked sxs I looked at was $134K, so I like the price of this one a bit better!
I like my triggers between 3 to 4 lbs and if these ones are heavy then I'm sure that can be fixed. I'm looking forward to seeing the wood in real life, it appears that the opaque finish that was common on the CZ's is gone (hopefully) by the looks of the pics.
I expect to have it maybe by the end of the week or so...... waiting....waiting...
Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Maverick 88 o/u is an inexpensive choice, not like much can go wrong with an o/u and this one definitely fits the "beater" classification.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadaCambia View Post
Maverick 88 o/u is an inexpensive choice, not like much can go wrong with an o/u and this one definitely fits the "beater" classification.
Low end O/U shotguns tend to suffer from a few issues. I have seen several with firing pin issues, and a few with barrels that were not properly regulated. Some also have very heavy triggers which I find to be very annoying.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Low end O/U shotguns tend to suffer from a few issues. I have seen several with firing pin issues, and a few with barrels that were not properly regulated. Some also have very heavy triggers which I find to be very annoying.
Yes but for a rainy day beater, should be able to go a few afternoons hassle free, no?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yes but for a rainy day beater, should be able to go a few afternoons hassle free, no?
I don't find barrels that aren't regulated properly acceptable for even one day. The same goes for ten pound triggers. I don't expect 50,000 shot reliability, but I do expect at least a few thousand rounds of reliable operation out of any shotgun that I purchase. I have seen low end multi barrel shotguns that were unreliable since new.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with the Maverick but I totally disagree with that statement. I've seen lots of cheap o/u guns that are not reliable at all. There's nothing worse than going to the range for an afternoon of fun shooting and having your gun break down. I shoot a lot more than most people so I gravitate to better guns but even for occasional shooting I'd stay away from the el'cheapo's. Better to get a used one made by a reputable manufacturer.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned

^^ Dang. Didn't realize even a beater had to have such high standards.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
^^ Dang. Didn't realize even a beater had to have such high standards.
You are the only one using the term "beater". I personally don't abuse my firearms, or beat them up. I do however feel better about using a $1000 shotgun in the rain as opposed to a $9000, or $12,000 shotgun.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are the only one using the term "beater". I personally don't abuse my firearms, or beat them up. I do however feel better about using a $1000 shotgun in the rain as opposed to a $9000, or $12,000 shotgun.
Yes I am.

I apologize I didn't mean to offend anybody suggesting a Maverick. I guess I just don't have the same fondness for high end guns. And that's ok.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Yes I am.

I apologize I didn't mean to offend anybody suggesting a Maverick. I guess I just don't have the same fondness for high end guns. And that's ok.
No need to apologize, you gave him a chance to mention his $9,000 and $12,000 shotguns.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
No need to apologize, you gave him a chance to mention his $9,000 and $12,000 shotguns.
I was just putting things in prospective, as he wasn't getting what I meant by a gun to use in the rain. If the point of my thread was to talk about my other shotguns, I could have done that in my first post.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:32 PM

I have a 20g O/U & a 28g single.
There both great guns so far.