Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM

Exclamation Anyone use the Vortex rangefinder?

I recently bought the Vortex rangefinder and the farthest reading I could get was 540 yds off a row of spruce trees, I thought it would do better than that but this is my first rangefinder so am I expecting to much? If anyone else uses this rangefinder how far can you get it to range? I also tried to range a green tin roof at about 500 yds but it wouldn't read it.... should I return it and get a new one or like I said before am I excepting to much out of it?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Banned

I have a yardage pro 1000 from Bushnell. I found that I can get a max readout to 1000 but only off highly reflective targets. a bush or log will rarely give you a readout at max range.
does your rangefinder have a scan, refl, rain, zip mode?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I have a yardage pro 1000 from Bushnell. I found that I can get a max readout to 1000 but only off highly reflective targets. a bush or log will rarely give you a readout at max range.
does your rangefinder have a scan, refl, rain, zip mode?
I realise that I won't get the max range unless it is reflective but guys where saying that they could range elk at 600 with this rangefinder so I thought it would do better, it has a scan mode.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM

I ranged a deer at 860 yards with mine . Works good for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM

Ranges deer out to 500 with mine... and trees to 550 -600 and steel sheds to 960.

And really.. im happy with it. Because its going to be one perfect day if i ever pull the trigger on a deer over 400 yards...

So it serves its purpose for me for my needs at an affordable price
Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Ok, so maybe I need to exchange mine for a new one...I read in some of the reviews that some guys had "faulty" ones and they had to exchange them with a different one till they got a "good" one, maybe that's what I will have to do.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Ok, so maybe I need to exchange mine for a new one...I read in some of the reviews that some guys had "faulty" ones and they had to exchange them with a different one till they got a "good" one, maybe that's what I will have to do.
Yeah a new one like a Leica. I compared the 2 of them outside the store vortex would pick up a power pole at 240 yards the Leica was out past 500 on the power poles.

I would say vortex really crapped the bed on this.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Yeah a new one like a Leica. I compared the 2 of them outside the store vortex would pick up a power pole at 240 yards the Leica was out past 500 on the power poles.

I would love a Leica but they are twice the amount and you can't beat the warranty of the Vortex. Going by some reviews the Vortex sounds really good, I think I just got a "faulty" one.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I would love a Leica but they are twice the amount and you can't beat the warranty of the Vortex. Going by some reviews the Vortex sounds really good, I think I just got a "faulty" one.
I like Vortex.. I still like Leupold too. But, in my opinion.... Vortex sells the warranty very well. A person should be able to buy a product in confidence that he doesnt have to use the warranty but if need be. It is there.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post

Which model Leica did you get? I was considering buying a second range finder so I had two in case one broke in time of need.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 PM

I recently got the vortex myself, haven't tried to range beyond 500 yet but I could test it out on the weekend and get back to you.. I don't really need to range that far, but my other half loves long range shooting so if it doesn't read further than 500 yards I think he's gonna be pretty upset. so far it's been great.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I tried a few cheap rangefinders and you get what you pay for. I don't cheap out on rangefinders and other optics anymore, I currently run a 1200 Leica it is worth every penny.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck19 View Post
I recently got the vortex myself, haven't tried to range beyond 500 yet but I could test it out on the weekend and get back to you.. I don't really need to range that far, but my other half loves long range shooting so if it doesn't read further than 500 yards I think he's gonna be pretty upset. so far it's been great.
That would be great, thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 AM

I would like to stay with Vortex I just thought it would be better than mine is.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Leica

Leica range finders all the way the are 2 steps above the rest had my 1300 leica range out to 1900 yds on a bad day by far the best range finder for the money
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM

So I took it out again today and it seemed to range farther but not consistently, I would range something at 238 and then range something else then go back and range the same thing at 238 standing in the same spot and it wouldn't range it and when I first took it out it took 3 times to range a bird house at 37 yds. I think I will give Vortex another chance and exchange this one for a new one it sucks it's a 2 hour drive to take it back though.